Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

about to get SARPE

mr.mewing
Estimable Member

so today I got a consult by an orthodontist nearby my (I Live in the Netherlands) and her plan was to put the mandible forwards because of the see-saw that my mandible was set back a lot which is true.

so she wanted to install a SARPE expander and she wanted to do an extra single jaw surgery for my mandible but she said that for every jaw surgery they need to remove two molars to create space and create first an of an overbite which was weird to my because if you want to make more space 

you need expansion and if I get two molars removed it only going to be less wide and forwards in my opinion if there is a reason for this let my know.

if there are any other solutions let me know as well.

@progress

Topic starter Posted : 13/01/2021 7:34 am
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member
Posted by: @mr-mewing

so today I got a consult by an orthodontist nearby my (I Live in the Netherlands) and her plan was to put the mandible forwards because of the see-saw that my mandible was set back a lot which is true.

so she wanted to install a SARPE expander and she wanted to do an extra single jaw surgery for my mandible but she said that for every jaw surgery they need to remove two molars to create space and create first an of an overbite which was weird to my because if you want to make more space 

you need expansion and if I get two molars removed it only going to be less wide and forwards in my opinion if there is a reason for this let my know.

if there are any other solutions let me know as well.

@progress

There might be other solutions, but you are limited by the Dutch dental health system. I know some Spanish orthodontists working in the Netherlands and they all complain about that.

I think it is more realistic if you ask for second opinions there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2021 1:51 pm
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@sergio-oms  ah oke thanks for the tip what would you do instead or do you have an other idea 

Because this is my solution : get the SARPE Appliance installed expand the upper palate after that get braces to fix the gap.

After that bring the mandible forward without removing the molars if I miss something let my know or if this isn't possible.

She said by the way that in every single jaw surgery they do they need to remove two molars in my

• mandible to create space and to creat an overbite which was weird in my opinion.
ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 14/01/2021 3:53 pm
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member

@sergio-oms  ah oke thanks for the tip what would you do instead or do you have an other idea 

Because this is my solution : get the SARPE Appliance installed expand the upper palate after that get braces to fix the gap.

After that bring the mandible forward without removing the molars if I miss something let my know or if this isn't possible.

Maybe MARPE could work... you could look into that. It really depends on each case and each style of treatment, there is no consensus.

She said by the way that in every single jaw surgery they do they need to remove two molars in my

• mandible to create space and to creat an overbite which was weird in my opinion.

Yes I don't like extractions, even if they allow for more advancement in the lower jaw. Although the profile can improve more, the frontal view worsens.

Sometimes there is no other way to advance the jaw, but to some people it looks like the only way.

Extractions make the orthodontic treatment more difficult and reduce the space for the tongue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2021 3:21 am
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@sergio-oms ah oke yeah the reason I think she said she wanted to go for SARPE is that she can get away with the cost of the surgery I think MARPE is non-surgical which I like but It would cost me a ton so.. but I could still ask for it.

and I really don't get it how the extraction of my two bottom molars could improve the lower jaw and improve the side profile and worsens the frontal view could you maybe explain that?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 15/01/2021 3:36 am
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member

@sergio-oms ah oke yeah the reason I think she said she wanted to go for SARPE is that she can get away with the cost of the surgery I think MARPE is non-surgical which I like but It would cost me a ton so.. but I could still ask for it.

and I really don't get it how the extraction of my two bottom molars could improve the lower jaw and improve the side profile and worsens the frontal view could you maybe explain that?

hehehe well, no ofence but stereotypes are sometimes right...     I think you should ask for second opinions there and not online if you are going to be limited by your willingness to pay (and travel).  You risk getting frustrated by finding that you are getting suboptimal treatments.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2021 4:38 am
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@sergio-oms ah oke thanks for your reply I almost forgot that the surgeon is going to make the final plan and that her solution was just a quick one but her quick solution was for sure a pretty decent one.

and the reason is that I posted this post is that I Know their a few people on this forum which maybe ain't professionals but they know a lot about his topic so it's always good to hear somebody else about it and to take it with a grain of salt haha

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 15/01/2021 5:20 am
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member

@mr-mewing

In the Netherlands OMS get a fixed amount of money (out of the patients pocket but fixed from the health authorities) and they are in charge of managing everything (paying for operating theatre, hospital, plates and screws...) in order to do the procedures and get a profit (as they must, it is their job and have families)

Same thing happens with orthodontic treatments.

This system is good for the tax payer and, in general, good for reducing costs but has also some cons, as you can probably deduce.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2021 10:56 am
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

@sergio-oms ah oke, that's pretty clear.

are you, by the way, studying for becoming an orthodontic or surgeon yourself or are you in the job already because you have a lot of knowledge about it haha.

but for the future, I think more and more people need jaw surgery's and orthodontic, because of the more sitting more mobile phones at younger ages no breastfed children etc, etc.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/01/2021 3:26 pm
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member

@mr-mewing

you can do your own research to answer that

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2021 6:13 pm