Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Why do I look so much better in the after picture?  

RSS
Kyte
 Kyte
(@kyte)

Did something change? Is this gif showing any difference?

It shows a relatively short period; 15th Dec 2018 - 10 March 2019 

What do you think?

I AM 25!!

This topic was modified 2 weeks ago by Kyte
This topic was modified 1 week ago by Kyte
Posted : 09/03/2019 2:02 pm
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Reputable Member

great quality photos but it seems most progress is just from you getting your tongue up properly so your jawwline is sharper but do that consistently and youll make gains

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2019 4:20 am
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Reputable Member

fix that neck posture tho or you wont make much progress

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2019 4:21 am
Kyte
 Kyte
(@kyte)
Posted by: Rockyp33

great quality photos but it seems most progress is just from you getting your tongue up properly so your jawwline is sharper but do that consistently and youll make gains

Hi, thank you

I am starting to think that a great amount of difference Is given to the positioning of the head.

Yes, I always engage the back of the tongue a lot now. I used to mouthbreath very often and I was aware of it ...

This post was modified 1 week ago 2 times by Kyte
ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2019 9:50 am
Kyte
 Kyte
(@kyte)
Posted by: Rockyp33

fix that neck posture tho or you wont make much progress

Hi,

I usally chin tuck al lot ( that's very important in my case). I was just adjusting the side of my face at  the mirror because is pretty low and i am quite tall.

Thank you for the reminder anyway! 

This post was modified 1 week ago by Kyte
ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2019 9:52 am
AloeVera
(@aloevera)
Eminent Member

What do you think of this?

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/tracking-your-progress-via-photos-an-idea/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2019 3:46 pm
Kyte
 Kyte
(@kyte)
Posted by: AloeVera

What do you think of this?

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/tracking-your-progress-via-photos-an-idea/

Hi! 

Yes, i thought about it already, but you have only three tries and cannot shoot the side that is what i care the most.

Thank you for the tip 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2019 4:55 pm
Rockyp33
(@rockyp33)
Reputable Member

looks like some progress just make sure your funda,entals are good

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/03/2019 3:42 am
Processive
(@processive)

Wow. Are you kidding me? Those are some amazing results! Your jaw angle has improved massively and your entire facial structure looks like it has moved forwards. And you have ramuses now! Fascinating!!

Can you do us all a huge favor and explain your mewing technique in detail? Do you do hard mewing? Do you mew while sleeping? What is the exact position of your tongue most of the time? Where is the tip, the middle and the root? What direction are you applying the force of the tongue at?

I would really appreciate if you could help us out here 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/03/2019 1:41 pm
Neigh
(@neigh)

All of the progress is in your neck

It certainly looks like you lost fat/skin there. I don't know if I see any bone progress. I see no change in the maxilla at all. There may be some change in the jaw, but the fat difference is the most likely explanation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/03/2019 5:09 pm
Kyte
 Kyte
(@kyte)
Posted by: Neigh

All of the progress is in your neck

It certainly looks like you lost fat/skin there. I don't know if I see any bone progress. I see no change in the maxilla at all. There may be some change in the jaw, but the fat difference is the most likely explanation.

Hi,

yes, i stated multiple times that most of the difference Is due to the positioning of the head/neck . No maxilla advancement or upswing.

I ensure you i didn't lost fat. The opposite, at least.

A possible explanation is that in the before picture i barely knew what mewing was. In the after I am engaging the root of the tongue al LOT tightening the skin. 

It Is only 3 months comparison by the way

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/03/2019 5:52 pm
Processive
(@processive)

Thanks alot for your original post and this answer. I really do appreciate it.
Ok, I will respect your skeptiscm and refrain from pointing out what I see from my perspective.
Also, don't worry. Our lord and saviour on this forum is jamo/neveragain. Lol.
( https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/hey-guys-mewing-doesnt-work-sarcasm-age-15-21-before-after-itt/ )

Interesting enough, jamo also places a great deal of importance on the chin tuck. I will start doing this alot more.
Chewing alot more during meals is very smart I think. Also, I didn't know we were supposed to do a push swallow when it comes to food too. Jamo mentioned he started chewing gum when he read a study about how the maxilla had advanced in the subjects who chewed alot. I'll have to get these into my routine.
Holy [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] at 2-3 hours of tongue chewing a day. Now thats commitment.

Look, I'm really sorry about this bombardment of questions but it is for science and the betterment of all of humanity. What more noble cause is there? 😉

1. Do you actually do "hard mewing" (pushing with force), instead of just resting the tongue on the palate?
If you do a push swallow, or a cheesy swallow, the tongue moves backwards
2. Would you say that your resting tongue position now is at the place where the push swallow, or the cheesy swallow ends up? In other words, when doing the swallow and the tongue moves back in the mouth, with the root of the tongue being as far back and up as possible, is that where you rest your tongue?
3. With an intermolar width of 37mm, can you fit your tongue on the palate?
4. Do you have your teeth together while mewing or slightly apart?
5. Do you also practice regular chewing with gum?
6. Do you now sleep on your back (with the low pillow) and in a chin tuck?
7. Do you actually do mewing while sleeping? When you wake up, is your tongue still on the palate?
8. Does your jaw appear wider from the front compared to before you started mewing?
9. Do you do OMC (open mouth chewing)?
10. "I imagine applying force as perpendicular as possibile to the nose getting an opposite force on my gonial angle."
       Does that mean that you actually push forward aswell as upwards with your tongue? (I'm [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] at geometri).

It would be super interesting to see before and after pictures from the front if you have it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/03/2019 8:55 pm
Kyte
 Kyte
(@kyte)

Hi,Do PMs exist in this forum?

Yes, I've read a lot about Jamo. I DO see changes even if his pictures are really bad. He still was in his late puberty.

Firtly, chewing more and eating slowly is essential for well being in general.  I just swallow correctly that consists in involving the back of the tongue.

If you think 2- 3 hours isnt a lot. Two halves an hour in morning and two in the afternoon. 

1. Yes, but not that much. I'd decribe it like a stroking of the tongue on the palate.

2. Yes, correct

3. It is snug but fits quite confortably

4 Together, absolutely. But not clenching. (I have a small incisive openbite )

5. Yes, any time the gum is completely flattened due to tongue chewing

6. I'd say yes. I often wake up with the tongue on the palate, but not perfectly. Still a good achievement.

7. No, I think it is bad for the neck laying to much time on the back chin tucking like watching tv. By the way, the pillow is low, so it's quite impossible.

8. I only noticed a very slightly different shadowing with dim light. ( NOT SURE)

9. Absolutely not

I think this is what's happening in my mouth the most of the time, where the longer the arrows is, the higher its force is. Mind that the opposite forces are in the DIRECTION of the mandible and not on it.

Yes, I have some photos, but at the moment i think it not worth to compare them.

I hope I've been clear enough, I am not English

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 3:19 pm
TGW
 TGW
(@admin)
TGW Admin Admin

@kyte

Hi,Do PMs exist in this forum?

Top menu bar. Let us know if you can't find it on mobile / your platform 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 6:05 pm
ShaktiOm
(@shakti_om)
Eminent Member

Hello @kyte. Thanks for sharing. Most of the progress that I see in your pictures is due to your ability to pull your hyoid bone up and back. Were you able to do this early on in you're mewing journey or did it take some time? Not that three months is very long. 😀 

You can see how easily Astro Sky does this at 2:20 in this video  https://youtu.be/bIh4wT-WfYA?t=140

This post was modified 1 week ago 2 times by ShaktiOm
ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2019 6:49 pm
Kyte
 Kyte
(@kyte)

@Shakti_Om

Hi! Honestly I wasn't completely aware of what I was doing 3 months ago. Probably I already had the ability to do that, but uncounciously started to do It along the time

• I don't even Need to open the video because i guess i know which you are referring at :). Impressive and freaky
  • Is that hard to lift it for some people?
This post was modified 7 days ago 3 times by Kyte
ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2019 3:03 am
ShaktiOm
(@shakti_om)
Eminent Member

@kyte

When I first started practicing proper tongue posture six months ago, my hyoid bone barely lifted up at all, despite the fact that I was using the suction hold and had the back of my tongue up enough so that I couldn't breathe. It wasn't until the past couple of weeks that I started to get more of a lift in the throat area, thanks in great part to practicing the "very very cheesy swallow", an often overlooked exercise. It forced me to really work the muscles in the throat area and gave me some more strength and control in lifting the hyoid bone up. Still, I do not get nearly the lift that you appear to be getting.

I would say it probably is difficult for most people to get the kind of lift you are. In fact a lot of people probably are not lifting the hyoid bone much at all which may limit their progress. There probably is a reason why it is easier for some people than others. I do not know enough about the anatomy to tell you why exactly, other than it has something to do with strength, posture, and the position of the swallow structure in relation to the facial structure.

This post was modified 6 days ago by ShaktiOm
ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2019 6:01 pm
Processive
(@processive)

I've started doing tongue chewing now a few hours a day and I've got to say, it's taken my mewing to a whole new level. Severely underrated exercise. It also allows some relief for the palate if it become sore from hard mewing/swallowing.

I used to have my tongue further forwards in my mouth (I still had the root engaged). But now when placing the root of the tongue the furthest back possible, my whole tongue fits way better on my palate. I also feel like this gives better leverage, both in terms of force and direction.

It's probably already verified or maybe even obvious but I feel like the chin tuck gives alot more power to the tongue. Also, I'm thinking that since swallowing is harder on the throat while chin tucking that maybe it could help with expanding it somewhat over time or maybe even help move the facial structure forwards due to 'necessity', sort of like the body adapts to the new position.

Mewing while sleeping is probably a huge contributor to success. I'm going to focus more on getting it down.

@ShaktiOm Very interesting stuff about the hyoid and the cheesy smile. I'll have to look into it more!

Btw, how do you guys swallow food with the push swallow? I can swallow saliva and liquids no problem but food is alot harder, even when having chewed it very well. Any advice? Or maybe a video explaining it?

About your progress - look at the before picture, locate your jaw line (it's faint but still noticable), trace it in relationship to your ear. Then do the same for your after picture. And then tell me there isn't a huge difference in its actual angle.
While mewing/raising hyoid bone gives instant improvement, I don't think it accounts for all the changes we see. If that was really true, then you would instantly go back to looking like your before picture when you relax your tongue. Take another picture of your profile, this time while relaxing your tongue, and see if you look more like your before picture or after picture.
If you would have had x rays of your skull before and now after, I do think we would see a distinct improvement in the angle of your jaw. In fact, I think that your results might even be so significant that you are having trouble believing it.
Look again at Jamos jaw angle in his before picture and then at his jaw angle in the after picture, he clearly have had the bone change position.

But I could be wrong. Whatever the case may be, it's a huge improvement in terms of aesthetics.

Anyways, thanks dude. Really good answers and a helpful illustration on the forces of the tounge. Awesome stuff!

May the Gods of Aesthetics and Lord Mew himself bless you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/03/2019 9:27 pm
ShaktiOm
(@shakti_om)
Eminent Member

@processive

Remember, it is the "very very cheesy swallow", different than the cheesy swallow. Something about raising those eyebrows and getting that psychotic look in your eyes somehow makes a difference. 😳 Haha. https://youtu.be/lKaW3zNIuWY

There is definitely something to swallowing while doing a chin tuck. It really seems to create an increase in pounds of force in all the right directions. The intensity of it makes me refrain from doing it too much. I have seen Dr. Mew recommend it in a couple videos when talking about the mealtime exercise. However I don't dare try it while actually eating food. Just saliva. Don't want to choke.

And then there is the very very cheesy chin tuck swallow. Only to be done in the presence of medical professionals. 😀 I kid.

For me personally I don't focus too much on how I swallow while eating food. I just chew a lot, sit up straight, and don't use my facial muscles when swallowing. Although the practice I have put in while swallowing saliva and liquids has definitely transferred over to swallowing food as well. But I'm still swallowing air especially when swallowing liquids. Something I am still working on.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/03/2019 8:36 am
Kyte
 Kyte
(@kyte)

@processive, i am glad that you find my sharing helpful. Just relax, listen to your body and don't overdo.

@Shakti_Om, Hope you'll overcome your air ingestion trouble. That really metters for me, because it made me feel sick for YEARS without knowing why

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/03/2019 2:28 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register