Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

WalterWhite Progress and Changes, Chewing Question  

RSS
TGW
 TGW
TGW Admin Admin

Thread Moved to new Forum

Posted : 03/06/2018 8:55 am
WalterWhite

Hey everyone, jumping straight to the topic, 2 hours ago when I first came across this forum, I read some articles about chewing with an overbite and you guys say not to chew with your back teeth but with the incisors, otherwise the mandible will get even more recessed. Is this true? I've been chewing and mewing ( i mew with my lower jaw extended, teeth arent in contact) for 1 year approx. and I think I got some forward growth in my maxilla but my mandible seems to be worse than it was last summer. My ramus seemed to be more defined in my past photos. My chin aswell has became more round . I'd say that my lower jaw has gotten worse in profile photos compared to when I started. I used to chew 10 pieces of mastic gum (5+5 each jaw) for 2-3 hours everyday. Now I tried just chewing 10 pieces combined, doing circles with my mouth open as it is written in many threads here. Problem is that I feel pain every time I bite with my incisors. It seems like the gum is too hard for them. I also have  braces placed on my upper teeth to "fix" my overbite but Ill cancel the treatment soon because my ortho plans to extract teeth. She doesn't accept myofunctional treatment. While I am chewing (open mouth),  I feel big pressure in my midface especially nose and eye area. This is a good sign, right? My temporalis muscles feel very tense aswell. I'm a bit tired and my writing is not that good right now, Ill write a more structured thread tommorow explaining my case and my treatment plans. So to sum up, is it okay if i chew with my back teeth? And why do my front teeth hurt when I bite down on the mastic? Could it be because I rarely use them?

*pieces of the gum I use are like in the photo below

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2018 8:29 am
WalterWhite

10 pieces of THIS mastic gum do not feel that hard after a while, so I wouldn't say that the amount is a huge one. I drink some water to make them hard for a short time again.

ReplyQuote
Keengo
Trusted Member

Too much chewing probably makes the mandible drop down because of the counterbalancing force of the maxilla. I've read of this before. Basically you constantly apply mechanical tension and the maxilla is really strong and resists force. Chewing hours x day for long periods of time can force the mandible to drop down and make your face longer/increase the gonial angle. If this is what you mean about your mandible looking worse, as in dropping down and the ramus looking less visible/defined, yeah.

I'd think it should rotate (the mandible -- counterclockwise downswing) but that depends on the maxilla and other factors I can't even say in detail since I've no idea how they even work.

** The face pulling "bag method" -- https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/face-pulling/#post-3902 **

** Keengo Chin Tuck method w/force (WIP)-- https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/chin-tuck-with-added-force-chin-tuck-2-0-new-theory-inside/ **

ReplyQuote
WalterWhite

My ramus was very defined last year id say. And my gonial angled has increased, yes. If anyone knows a way to reverse this please reply 🙂

ReplyQuote
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

You mewed without teeth touching?

Honestly it is hard to expect mewing progress when orthodontic work is being done because in my opinion it is potentially undoing everything mewing does. But that is just my opinion and won't pretend to be a medical professional. 

What I will say is that not touching teeth has produced unfavorable results. Mewing is all about counteractive forces. Tongue pushes maxilla upwards and away from the pushing forces of the mandible .

ReplyQuote
WalterWhite

Yes, I mewed with my mandible jutting forward, athlough some people on lookism did it aswell and got some positive results.Next month Im visiting a myofunctional therapist associated with myobrace. I asked him through email if he works with Biobloc. I need a devide that will NOT do any backwards harm to my maxilla and move my mandible forward fast. Should I look for someone that works with ALF? I dont really know the difference between those 2 devices. Other people advocate just using a MyoMunchee. I dont really know, I'm very confused.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2018 9:41 am
Progress
Member Moderator

How much do you engage your tongue while chewing? The consequences of failing to counterbalance the bite by pressing the tongue against the curve of the palate become evident when chewing such heavy loads.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2018 4:17 pm
Dominik
Trusted Member
Posted by: WalterWhite

10 pieces of THIS mastic gum do not feel that hard after a while, so I wouldn't say that the amount is a huge one. I drink some water to make them hard for a short time again.

That is not mastic gum. That gum is very soft compared to real mastic gum (a type of resin from Greece). I chewed both and real mastic gum is like bending iron in your mouth in comparison to what you chew.

This IS mastic gum:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/08/2018 12:42 am
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

try mewing without extending your lower jaw that could really help

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2018 2:45 am
FanaticMind

@dominik

How much mastic do you chew in grams?
Also, can you send a pic of your masseter?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/10/2019 8:24 pm