Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Very narrow palate of 30mm  

RSS
Wellwellwell

I have a very narrow palate of 30mm.

I feel like altough I can place my tongue in the roof of my mouth it does not sit there comfortably.

Do you suggest I continue mewing or should I look into expanders?

- Started soft mewing on 12 Feb 2019. Have not seen any real results or changes.
- Starting IMW: 35 mm
- Current IMW: 35 mm

Posted : 15/02/2019 1:39 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member
Posted by: Wellwellwell

I feel like altough I can place my tongue in the roof of my mouth it does not sit there comfortably.

Do you have a high palatal vault?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 12:05 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

My general thoughts are this... the tongue is a muscle.  It grows with use.  It can be used to create room for itself.... similar to a chicken breaking out of an egg.  However, sometimes the tongue gets over-strengthened and oversized.  Obviously, widening with appliances without addressing the root cause is not as good as understanding what went wrong so that it can be addressed.  The premise of Mewing is that narrow arches can occur if the tonuge isn't strong enough or between the dental arches.  This same problem can happen from a tongue tie.    I don't know all the root causes, but there is an impact on the face from many early environmental and situational influences.  I think that appliances are easier, personally.  However, it doesn't hurt to get multiple consults for various options.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 12:07 am
Wellwellwell
Posted by: darkindigo
Posted by: Wellwellwell

Do you have a high palatal vault?

Yes I do

- Started soft mewing on 12 Feb 2019. Have not seen any real results or changes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 5:23 am
Wellwellwell
Posted by: darkindigo

My general thoughts are this... the tongue is a muscle.  It grows with use.  It can be used to create room for itself.... similar to a chicken breaking out of an egg.  However, sometimes the tongue gets over-strengthened and oversized.  Obviously, widening with appliances without addressing the root cause is not as good as understanding what went wrong so that it can be addressed.  The premise of Mewing is that narrow arches can occur if the tonuge isn't strong enough or between the dental arches.  This same problem can happen from a tongue tie.    I don't know all the root causes, but there is an impact on the face from many early environmental and situational influences.  I think that appliances are easier, personally.  However, it doesn't hurt to get multiple consults for various options.

So you suggest going with expanders first abd then mew once the palate is wide enough? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/02/2019 7:51 am