Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

The dangers of hard mewing  

RSS
Doomsiren

Hello everyone,

I felt the need to post this as a warning to anyone thinking about hard mewing and to accelerate my recovery by gaining some advice from experienced members. English is not my primary languague so my story might be a little disjointed and seem like rambling so I hope you can bear with me.

I discovered mewing about 2 years ago and have been hard mewing for more or less 1,5 years. I didn't really intend to mew hard but it happened because I was trying to make my posterior tongue touch my soft palate. Looking back at the past I have been pushing my tongue and not using the suction hold at all and it has changed the structure of my face and has and does psychological harm to me.

I used to have a square jaw and generally attractive features, all of which had gone away. I didn't really notice it much untill I quit mewing half a year ago and that mewing had adverse effects. Through hard mewing I developed an overbite, my face became smaller and my defined jaw and cheekbones had receded. After a year and  a half of fumbling around with different mewing techniques, I quit mewing and started resting my tongue at the bottom of my mouth and after a while my face turned back to the way it was before and it shocked me how much of it had changed for the worse because of mewing. Within 8 - 16 days of quitting mewing I regained some of original jawline, my face became longer and wider and my cheekbones came forward and became wider. It was thrilling to me that atleast recovery might be possible.

Forward 6 months later and I am still trying to recover what my face used to look like. Resting my tongue at the bottom of my mouth forever doesn't seem to be the solution, although my jawline recovered, my face would eventually become less defined again. After this happens I attempted mewing correctly this time, which did push my cheekbones forward which had the desired effect. This only worked for around two days and afterwards my jawline would  become undefined again and so did my cheekbones.

Forward to present time and I've been basically going through cycles of resting my tongue at the bottom of my mouth to regain my original jawline and original width, and then attempting to mew again, ever so softly as to get my cheekbones in the right place without losing the jawline. This has had mixed succes, partially I think due to probably the wrong mewing technique and because my tongue was now used to pushing. I held off from asking for advice here on this forum because I felt I should offer a solution to people who have a similar issue to mine and I felt that with some more experimentation I could tell people what worked for me and what didn't. The end though for me is not in sight, and while I've had some succes regaining my old facial structure, this for now has been temporary and not permanent.

I hope this acts as a warning to people taking mewing lightly as I did and that I am able to find what seems to be a little piece missing from this puzzle.

If you require any additional information I will try to provide ofcourse.

Thanks in advance.

Posted : 21/04/2020 10:29 am
Progress
Member Moderator

Hello, welcome and thank you for your warning. A common pitfall with hard mewing is that one tends to adopt the tendency to only push upwards with the tongue. Many here have found it to be true that the full postural role of the lingual muscles has more dimensions than that. For example, you have to balance the upward push by pulling the underside of the tongue down. Overall, what you should do with the posterior tongue could be described more as a 3D stretch than a push into any specific direction: you are ballooning it out to all directions in your throat.

Another important point is to have your neck extended all the way up. You have to literally drive the base of your skull upwards using the clavicles and shoulders as your base. You will soon come to understand how this upward drive and the posterior tongue ballooning complement each other.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 11:31 am
Progress
Member Moderator
Posted by: @ovosoundszn

@progress For someone 18 and over do you thing hard mewing is the only way to see substantial results. or do you think soft mewing could produce results equivalent to that of hard mewing?

For results, I don't know, but the only two ways of applying deliberate  force that have benefited my overall posture are pressing firmly at the incisive papilla and sideways with the posterior tongue. These points create a kind of equilateral triangle that link the palate to the neck and shoulders.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 12:28 pm
Doomsiren

@progress

Thanks for your reply! I think I have gotten the correct mewing technique down, suction hold that is. My tendency to push is gone, as I can now rest my tongue on the bottom without it going back up automatically. This might not fix everything, as I found out repeatedly that simply resting my tongue in suction hold does not bring my jawline down and to it's original form. Applying force downwards and backwards restores my jawline and width, would you say that pulling the underside of your tongue down would have the same effect on my jaw?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 12:44 pm
Doomsiren

@ovosoundszn

I started mewing when I was 28, hard mewing had adverse effects in my case. I speculate that I already had for the most part correct tongue posture. I had good looking facial features. I know your question is not directed at me but...These substantial results might not be the results you're looking for if my case is anyhting to go by.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 12:54 pm
Doomsiren

Ok thanks. May i ask why you were mewing in the first place if you said you already had good looking facial features?

For healthy breathing purposes, and if my features would improve more then why not? I did not start mewing from the get go, first I wanted to make sure I didn't already mew. It's been to 2 years ago, but I remember the posterior third of my tongue not touching the soft palate and my tongue being at the bottom. I figured I did not have proper tongue posture so I went to experiment with mewing. I might not have been mewing perfectly, but good enough for me to have healthy facial features.

I am by no means an expert but I would advice against hard mewing. It placed psychological strain on me as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 1:54 pm
Progress
Member Moderator
Posted by: @doomsiren

@progress

Applying force downwards and backwards restores my jawline and width, would you say that pulling the underside of your tongue down would have the same effect on my jaw?

That sounds like the same thing yes.

Posted by: @ovosoundszn

@progress so its fair to rule out that just doing a suction hold wont get  results like helmutstrebl right?

Perhaps not by itself, but suction hold still is a helpful and potentially necessary part of proper oral posture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 2:02 pm
Doomsiren

@progress

Posted by: @progress

That sounds like the same thing yes.

Will try using this approach next!

Overall, what you should do with the posterior tongue could be described more as a 3D stretch than a push into any specific direction: you are ballooning it out to all directions in your throat.

I've tried putting this in practice. The thing that comes closest to feeling like you described here is relaxing my tongue completely in suction hold, while feeling the bottom as well. Relaxing my tongue completely makes it feel like it's expanding in all directions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 2:26 pm
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@doomsiren Would you say the main errors you made were pushing upwards instead of forwards/all directions and neglecting to get the back of your tongue up? Especially if you were starting from a good bite to begin with, it makes sense to see how pushing in one direction messed you up, whereas someone starting with a recessed/asymmetrical face may benefit from the skull sequentially moving in one direction, then another one, etc.. I assume the tongue ballooning is a lot more helpful, though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 3:23 pm
Doomsiren

@paperbag

Posted by: @paperbag

Would you say the main errors you made were pushing upwards instead of forwards/all directions and neglecting to get the back of your tongue up? Especially if you were starting from a good bite to begin with, it makes sense to see how pushing in one direction messed you up, whereas someone starting with a recessed/asymmetrical face may benefit from the skull sequentially moving in one direction, then another one, etc.. I assume the tongue ballooning is a lot more helpful, though.

As far as I can remember I've been pushing in all kinds of directions. Upward/forward, backward/upward, but never all directions at the same time. In the beginning my mind it was this: Push the posterior third up/forward with force = expanded palate and forward growth. I did this for about a year until I realised that it wasn't getting me anywhere and positive change wasn't coming. I far from neglected the back of my tongue. I consistently held the back firmly pressed against the soft palate and pressed it hard, mid palate as well. It created a lot of space too.

I don't know my error exactly but just focussing on the up/forward position of the tongue had adverse effects and only that, in my case atleast.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 3:28 pm
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@doomsiren

Did you read about this guy's case? thread here
If so, does your technique wildly differ from his?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/04/2020 10:16 pm
Doomsiren

@paperbag

Can you quote the part where he talks about his technique?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2020 5:37 am
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@doomsiren
It's in the first post.

"(What I did: • Hard mewing 24/7. I push upwards so hard that the area under my jaw (hyoid) starts burning. Sometimes it's difficult to fall asleep for me as I’m mewing so hard. • Proper lip seal. I keep my lips closed with a slight force. • Proper swallowing (watch mike mew’s video on this) • Gum chewing 20-30 minutes every day. • Chin tucks all the time when I’m alone. • I also work at my body posture and try to stay in good posture while standing and sitting.)"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2020 2:29 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member

The problem with mewing is that there's a lot of conflicting information. Personally I think pushing on the back palate is counter-productive, you should be sucking on it, try that maybe? Push on front palate and suck on back palate?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2020 9:16 pm
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus What do you think sucking on the back palate would do that pushing on it doesn't?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2020 3:28 am
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @paperbag

@auxiliarus What do you think sucking on the back palate would do that pushing on it doesn't?

He's apparently thinking CCW maxilla rotation, which in theory, sounds plausible.

Practically, I haven't seen this happen often (saw a couple here and there on Reddit, they were adolescent kids however) and they didn't gain phenomenal orbital support like helmutstrebl did.

My theory is, pushing up from the posterior third somehow enables greater orbital support than merely suctioning. A theoretically good way to get the best of both worlds would be to suction for a certain time period first (possibly achieving dwsired amount of CCW rotation) and then pushing until desired amount of orbital support is achieved. People with already good forward growth could jump straight to pushing instead of suctioning if they lack orbital support.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2020 6:39 am
Doomsiren

@paperbag

We he did sounds similar to what i did. perhaps he did something different that I though since our results differ so greatly. 

As an update

Progress mentioned this:

Overall, what you should do with the posterior tongue could be described more as a 3D stretch than a push into any specific direction: you are ballooning it out to all directions in your throat.

This. I have experimented with this the last 2 days and this seem to deliver steady improving results. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2020 10:08 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

Regarding the psychological effects of hard-mewing, I can say that it tends to result in me becoming tired - both, mentally and physically - much quicker. Imagine that everywhere you go, you carry with yourself a small, unstable figurine, which tends to fall over frequently. Your goal is to keep it from falling, so you must keep your attention on it all day. Every minute or so, you have to adjust it, to keep it on its legs. It seems like a small thing, but anybody would become exhausted with such an exercise after several hours - maybe even several minutes. This mirrors my experience with hard-mewing.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/04/2020 5:39 pm
max iller liked
moemoe

Hi @Doomsiren

Do you have pictures showing the adverse effects?

thank you

M.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2020 9:39 am
Opperkech69
Posted by: @doomsiren

Hello everyone,

I felt the need to post this as a warning to anyone thinking about hard mewing and to accelerate my recovery by gaining some advice from experienced members. English is not my primary languague so my story might be a little disjointed and seem like rambling so I hope you can bear with me.

I discovered mewing about 2 years ago and have been hard mewing for more or less 1,5 years. I didn't really intend to mew hard but it happened because I was trying to make my posterior tongue touch my soft palate. Looking back at the past I have been pushing my tongue and not using the suction hold at all and it has changed the structure of my face and has and does psychological harm to me.

I used to have a square jaw and generally attractive features, all of which had gone away. I didn't really notice it much untill I quit mewing half a year ago and that mewing had adverse effects. Through hard mewing I developed an overbite, my face became smaller and my defined jaw and cheekbones had receded. After a year and  a half of fumbling around with different mewing techniques, I quit mewing and started resting my tongue at the bottom of my mouth and after a while my face turned back to the way it was before and it shocked me how much of it had changed for the worse because of mewing. Within 8 - 16 days of quitting mewing I regained some of original jawline, my face became longer and wider and my cheekbones came forward and became wider. It was thrilling to me that atleast recovery might be possible.

Forward 6 months later and I am still trying to recover what my face used to look like. Resting my tongue at the bottom of my mouth forever doesn't seem to be the solution, although my jawline recovered, my face would eventually become less defined again. After this happens I attempted mewing correctly this time, which did push my cheekbones forward which had the desired effect. This only worked for around two days and afterwards my jawline would  become undefined again and so did my cheekbones.

Forward to present time and I've been basically going through cycles of resting my tongue at the bottom of my mouth to regain my original jawline and original width, and then attempting to mew again, ever so softly as to get my cheekbones in the right place without losing the jawline. This has had mixed succes, partially I think due to probably the wrong mewing technique and because my tongue was now used to pushing. I held off from asking for advice here on this forum because I felt I should offer a solution to people who have a similar issue to mine and I felt that with some more experimentation I could tell people what worked for me and what didn't. The end though for me is not in sight, and while I've had some succes regaining my old facial structure, this for now has been temporary and not permanent.

I hope this acts as a warning to people taking mewing lightly as I did and that I am able to find what seems to be a little piece missing from this puzzle.

If you require any additional information I will try to provide ofcourse.

Thanks in advance.

Couldn't it be that your cheekbones swung up and therefore faded into your face. However if you would have kept mewing, it would move even more upwards and define your jawline again once your jawline also gained more width.

If your chin is recessed, then your jawline might still be very visible cause it's more downwards and therefore more visible. Once you start mewing, the jawline moves up, in your face but and will therefore be less visible for a couple months/years. Once you palatte becomes wider, the jawline becomes more prominent again and you get a good looking face.

It's just a theory...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2020 3:11 pm
Doomsiren
Posted by: @moemoe

Hi @Doomsiren

Do you have pictures showing the adverse effects?

thank you

M.

No I don't unfortunately.

Posted by: @opperkech69

Couldn't it be that your cheekbones swung up and therefore faded into your face. However if you would have kept mewing, it would move even more upwards and define your jawline again once your jawline also gained more width.

If your chin is recessed, then your jawline might still be very visible cause it's more downwards and therefore more visible. Once you start mewing, the jawline moves up, in your face but and will therefore be less visible for a couple months/years. Once you palatte becomes wider, the jawline becomes more prominent again and you get a good looking face.

It's just a theory...

I thought about that too. Thing is after I quit mewing the way I did and let the palate come down again my jaw would widen and my cheekbones would come forward and become pronounced again.

Anyway, an update:

Looks like I am back in the what I call the cycle. A period where I try what I think is the proper technique and where my features are improving steadily but eventually the same features of my face regress again. I should probably take pictures to see what might be happening exactly. Either my jawline has become shorter in width or my cheekbones have become wider. My guess is the first one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2020 11:04 am
TheBeastPanda

@progress please go-in depth, brilliant post. How can I get the balloning effect, any techniques to acheive this?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/10/2020 11:21 pm