Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Tooth Extractions  

RSS
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

I had four of my premolars removed when I was a kid before I knew anything about anything. One wisdom tooth is missing and another is severely impacted. Theoretically, if I am patient and continue to expand my palate, do you think my maxilla and jaw position could ever become close enough to my genetic potential? I understand there would be a lot of gaps in the back of my palate but if I maintained good tongue posture, do you think it would it be enough to keep everything in position? 

This topic was modified 5 months ago by Timbertiger
Posted : 11/04/2019 10:50 am
mr.mewing
Trusted Member

what do you mean by gaps in the back of your palate?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/04/2019 2:36 am
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

I had braces for years and my molars are where my missing premolars should be. If I managed to expand my palate, I would think that once all my teeth are brought forward, there would be gaps at the very back since I'm missing my set of premolars and one wisdom tooth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/04/2019 10:38 am
Achilles1
Trusted Member

You don't need all your teeth to reach genetic potential. All your teeth would be forward in alignment with each other, with no gaps between them. There would only be space in the very back. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/04/2019 11:03 am
Timbertiger
Eminent Member
Posted by: Achilles1

You don't need all your teeth to reach genetic potential. All your teeth would be forward in alignment with each other, with no gaps between them. There would only be space in the very back. 

Nice!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/04/2019 11:43 am
entelechy

Hello Timbertiger,   I am reversing my extractions right now with braces, and later may get an expander.  

Not doing it for aesthetic reasons (although that is certainly a nice side benefit!) but because thirty years after the extractions, I developed a lot of severe physical problems:  from jaw pain to tinnitus.

Have had braces in for 5 months.  So happy to already see some spaces opening where the premolars were.  These spaces will be closed by bringing all the molars forward.  Either they will naturally move that direction or we will push them there with brackets.

Another option is getting implants if you can open the spaces wide enough.

I really suggest getting this taking care of as soon as possible. The younger you are when you do it, the better the results.   Your jaw keeps growing actually into your twenties--for some people (according to the medical studies I read)--and the jaw only grows as far as the teeth are.   So there's hope.

I can let you know more about what I am doing, if you are interested.

entelechy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2019 9:08 am
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

Thanks for the advice entelechy! I originally went to see an Orthotropist (whatever you call them). Unfortunately I'm too poor to afford the 6k plus treatment so I've been "hard mewing" for the past 3 months, with decent results so far! For the first time I can comfortably rest my tongue on the roof of my mouth and I have some gaps starting to open up at the very back which is promising. Since I also just really don't trust anyone that works on the mouth as an occupation anymore, I'll probably just stick with "hard mewing" and see where it gets me. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2019 2:27 pm
entelechy

I agree with you not to trust anybody who works in teeth.

I saw over 40 orthodontists to try to find a solution, plus jaw surgeons, AND a couple orthotropic people.

At the end, I settled for the simplest and cheapest method (after tongue mewing): which was braces in a clinic with a young ortho who was open to me guiding the treatment and calling the shots.   Will be about 3000 dollars.    I really had to get braces to move the teeth out because the moved back teeth/extractions had---over the years--led to TMJ and other things.

That said:  I think the tongue is pretty powerful, and I am using it to move the teeth out--and this does work.

I like the natural approach and independent way of handling this.   (I am a surfer so believe in training one's muscles to do what they want).

By the way, as for people who work in teeth:  most are pretty idiotic.   I had six dentists see me for a pain in a tooth,  and only the sixth (after I drove back to see him) saw finally that it was cracked!  

entelechy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/04/2019 8:48 pm
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

3k is pretty good! I didn't know braces could be an option. Luckily I didn't develop any TMJ issues though I had an extremely narrow airway that the orthotropists said would probably cause issues down the road. Mostly I just want to fix my funny looking face.

Surfing is the best medicine! It's been a while but I used to surf quite regularly and miss it a great deal. Helped a lot with back issues I used to have.

Yeah.. never trust a dentist. I think psychopaths are probably disproportionately drawn to the profession. None of it is even really scientific.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/04/2019 10:44 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

@entelechy Seeing craze lines in x-rays cannot be done... good to look with eyes, though.  Not sure how cracked yours was.  Dang!  I need someone I can find to call the shots with.  Tenant 1A of the American Dental Association is to work with patient.. rarely ever happens.  I also like trying to check out those who are new to town... 

That is a lot of visits.  Dang.  Age?  Where about are you at?  Welcome!

This post was modified 5 months ago 2 times by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2019 12:33 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

The issue with braces is that it’s more orthodontic than orthopedic.  There are a few doctors doing a decent amount of orthopedic expansion..

DNA sort of and SLDA.  SLDA is Dr. Sue Lee... pair with braces.  🙂  There are similar products to DNA to try or combine.  DM me for the Dr. who has own version based off best of several DNA - looking appliances.

This post was modified 5 months ago 2 times by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/04/2019 12:38 am
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Please Login or Register