Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Slightly weak chin correction, AGGA? Braces?  

RSS
Grunk

Hello guys,

I have a somewhat unusual case I guess, basically my mouth is large enough so that my entire set of teeth has successfully come in(wisdom). The wisdom aren't completely straight but obviously my jaw isn't tiny though it is somewhat narrow.

Anyway I used Invisalign when I was a teenager, I never spent any time thinking about profile or facial growth but now it's more relevant to me. 

I would like to increase my chin strength to create a more flat facial profile.

When I wake up in the morning and take out my retainers I have a hard time closing my mouth as it feels like my lower jaw needs to be pushed back in order to have my teeth close as intended. After I stay awake for a while it goes away but still feels like my lower jaw would naturally move forward a bit if my front teeth were in a different position or angled forward a tad. When taking profile pictures I prefer the profile created with my lower jaw moved forward about 2-3mm(it results in my upper and lower front teeth directly sitting on each other). 

I don't think getting my lower jaw chopped and moved is something I want to do(nor do I think it's needed). Is AGGA needed or is doing a second course of braces viable which would change my front teeth a bit? At the moment the front teeth are completely vertical(if not angled back a little bit) .  

Some people say the lower jaw stops growing when you're a teenager but I honestly feel my lower jaw grew with the eruption of my wisdom teeth.

Posted : 27/12/2019 9:05 pm
Topic Tags
Johncoolj

You need Herbst appliance for that 

And then maybe controlled arch braces 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/01/2020 5:43 pm
Grunk

@johncoolj

Thanks but I don't think the herbest is correct, my lower jaw is already kinda trapped behind my maxilla(couple mm).

I'm wondering if I could get good enough results from some modifications of my bite, ex tipping top front teeth forward some.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2020 11:01 pm
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

your weak chin is caused by that the lower jaw is set back because of bad oral posture or braces.

in order to get your lower jaw forward, you need to expand the maxilla because the lower jaw is trapped between the maxilla if the maxilla expands only then can the mandible shove forwards.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2020 3:28 am
Johncoolj

@mr-mewing

Expanding his upper palate won't bring his lower one forward much or maybe I am wrong but I don't think it will do much .

He would need at trombone appliance according to John mew,or maybe a bionator .

A Herbst will work well too but it can make the chin look longer,the bionator will not .

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2020 7:04 pm
Johncoolj

@grunk

I am in the same position as you I have just got a upper expander in last week

I don't think it will bring the lower forward much I will prob get a Bionator

I can't get a Herbst appliance due to it making chin longer looking which I don't need 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2020 7:08 pm