Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Removing upper wisdom teeth when lower wisdom teeth are already gone, risk of bone loss?  

RSS
Jelly
Eminent Member

My lower wisdom teeth have been removed many many years ago. In hindsight I don't know if it was necessary, but I didn't know better.

Across the years, my upper wisdoms have started to hang a bit. It doesn't bother me and they don't have to be extracted right now but:

-They might start to hang more and more, making it necessary.
-There is already some root showing, which supposedly can let harmful bacteria in and causes some sensitivity. 

-An orthodontic dentist told me they needed to be removed before treatment with aligners (not clear why, I hope he doesn't want to make space to move teeth backwards).

-Financially it's smarter to do it this year due to insurance.

What I worry about is bone loss, but I don't know if it matters because without lower wisdoms there is no daily pressure on them anyway, which stimulates the bone. So I might already be slowly losing bone and the upper wisdom might not make a difference anymore. Or do they? 

Read here about the process of bone loss:

https://www.deardoctor.com/articles/hidden-consequences-of-losing-teeth/

The other thing is, I have read some reports of people who notice lost volume in the cheeks after wisdom teeth extraction. I think this is rare though with wisdom teeth and that it will be too subtle to see any difference. What do you think? What's your experience?

Posted : 09/11/2019 6:06 am
dopafacker
Eminent Member

bone loss occur when the teeth is fully grown (I think) Removed. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/11/2019 11:30 am
Jelly
Eminent Member
Posted by: @dopafacker

bone loss occur when the teeth is fully grown (I think) Removed. 

Yeah well from what I read bone loss occurs when there is no more pressure on it. That's why I think my current upper wisdoms don't matter that much, as they are not being pressed against by lower wisdoms. It's just a presence.

But I am not a 100% sure, maybe the presence preserves bone too? Maybe there is some force from the adjacent molars transfering through the upper wisdoms to the bone?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2019 8:00 am
Share:

Face Development

Please Login or Register