Realistic mm of for…

Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Realistic mm of forward protraction in adults with mse + facemask?

3 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
Learning123
(@learning123)
Topic starter

Hey I am a 17 almost 18 year old girl with a pretty recessed maxilla (class 3). I have been searching about mse + facemask but there isn’t that many experienced providers in my area. Therfore I am trying to decide whether I should pursue mse + facemask treatment or just wait a couple years and get a lefort 1(possibly a high variation). 

I guess I’m wondering how many mm I can realistically expect from mse + facemask at my age. I don’t want to only get half way there and have to settle for orthodontic camouflage. 

Also, does mse + facemask move the entire maxilla…. even the orbital rims??

Thanks! 

Last thing: can someone send me the won moon mse + facemask pdf…. don’t feel like spending $30 for a 10 min read 

Posted : 17/03/2021 10:02 pm
sinned
(@sinned)

Won Moon says 3 mm for an adult, I’d say you’re fully grown or close to it so 3 mm, maybe mm more.

https://youtu.be/w7D3l3X2B5g?t=497

It appears as though it moves the entire maxilla in this vid, and Won Moon implies that, he says it moves the “upper jaw” as in the upper part of the maxilla, not just the lower part. Not sure if it would affect the orbital rims though.

https://sci-hub.scihubtw.tw/10.1053/j.sodo.2018.01.009

Are you talking about this pdf? Use sci hub if you want to bypass paywall for journals.

Posted : 18/03/2021 4:05 am
Apollo
(@apollo)

Posted by: @learning123

Hey I am a 17 almost 18 year old girl with a pretty recessed maxilla (class 3). I have been searching about mse + facemask but there isn’t that many experienced providers in my area. Therfore I am trying to decide whether I should pursue mse + facemask treatment or just wait a couple years and get a lefort 1(possibly a high variation). 

I guess I’m wondering how many mm I can realistically expect from mse + facemask at my age. I don’t want to only get half way there and have to settle for orthodontic camouflage. 

Also, does mse + facemask move the entire maxilla…. even the orbital rims??

Thanks! 

Last thing: can someone send me the won moon mse + facemask pdf…. don’t feel like spending $30 for a 10 min read 

The adult case I posted from that article here ( https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/mse-asymmetry-and-protraction/#post-37820 ) looks like she might have gotten a little more than 3mm, but this could be the most dramatic adult results they have documented. There seems to be some consensus that adults could expect 1 millimeter or less of sagittal expansion from the MSE alone, and adding the facemask protraction might add a couple more millimeters if you are lucky and compliant with use. To be honest, it’s challenging to make this comfortable at higher tension, but COVID lockdown has made it a little easier to commit. I measured the increase in SNA on that case at about 5 degrees. If you try to use the scale on the image to translate to length, it looks to be about 5mm. I started with a skeletal class iii, with my SNA about 2 degrees less than my SNB. I haven’t gotten follow up imaging yet, but I’m hoping to get at least 3 degrees of correction. My bite seems better so I’m hopeful. Do you have a baseline lateral cephalogram to measure your SNA? Women might have more success than men because their midpalatal sutures seem to separate easier, so the same might be true for the circummaxillary sutures.

Posted : 18/03/2021 2:04 pm

THE GREAT WORK