Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Question about RAGGA or FAGGA appliance for 10 year old  

RSS
Elcor

Hello, My 10 year old daughter has a recessed lower jaw. We are considering the FAGGA appliance at the recommendation of the orthodontist, but I have concerns. The FAGGA initially brings forward the upper jaw, as I understand it, and then the lower jaw naturally moves forward thereafter. But when I look at my daughter's profile, her upper jaw doesn't appear to need to move forward. It looks fine to me where it is (although her upper front teeth do slant inward a bit). 

My daughter has a sweet face, and, as her mom, I'm concerned about big potential changes. Can anyone who has experience with the RAGGA or FAGGA comment on my concerns, particularly the concern about the upper jaw? As I said, the position sof the upper jaw appears ok to me. It's the lower that needs forward movement. 

I'd really appreciate any input you may have! Thank you for reading!!

Posted : 13/02/2019 2:34 pm
rogerramjet
Eminent Member

The correct question you should be asking is WHY is the lower jaw recessed.

Lower jaw recession can be caused by an under developed maxilla so that may explain why FAGGA or RAGGA was suggested. The inward slanting teeth certainly wouldn't help either.

Has your daughter had any dental extractions, ortho work to date, etc.?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2019 6:40 pm
Elcor

Thank you for your reply! Visually the maxilla doesn't appear under-developed which is why I'm concerned about the cosmetic changes that would result from moving it further forward. But you may be correct from an orthodontic point a view that the position of the maxilla is holding back the lower jaw. For sure the teeth slanting inward hasn't helped with the lower jaw development. 

She's had her palates expanded which worked very well. And we tried the Herbst device for a brief period recently but it cut into the sides of her cheeks so badly that we had to have it removed. The FAGGA appliance is a plan B. No dental extractions have been necessary. In fact many of her baby teeth fell out during the palate expansion phase. 

Thanks again for your reply!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2019 6:57 pm
rogerramjet
Eminent Member

You're welcome. These are just my thoughts, so please don't sub for med advice.

In those circumstances you describe RAGGA/FAGGA may or may not be necessary and you'd need a dentist to give you that advice based on quite a few measurements, including intermolar width, forward growth, tongue room,  crowding, room for adult eruptions, etc.

From my understanding of RAGGA its focus is moreso on early behavioural development/training and reinforcing the big three in children, which, while their mouths are still growing, can lead to ideal forward growth. Some dentists also seem to use them as space maintainers while the adult teeth are still erupting.

Another thing to consider is that while the maxilla may look developed now, your daughter still has a lot of growing to do, and it may start looking under developed as time goes by. That's what happened to me as a kid. My childhood extractions really starting paying (very negative) dividends as I transitioned to a teenager. That's just my posturing though.

Final thought, are you judging her maxilla position based on 21st century notions of position, or our ancestral physiologic/ideal position? Something to be mindful of.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2019 7:32 pm
Elcor

I will have to give this all some more thought. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts! I really appreciate your taking the time!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/02/2019 7:52 pm