Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

[Progress pics] Changes in maxillary arch after 1 yr of correct tongue posture

MouthBreather

What changes do you see? Are they positive or negative. I am not happy the way incisors are getting crooked. This is after I stopped using retainer(3 yr of braces with premolar extractions)

Edit:for those who are interested, InterMolar width is 34-35ish atm.
Topic starter Posted : 09/06/2018 6:20 am
KXXK
 KXXK

hey that's pretty good

what about the facial changes did you notice anything? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/06/2018 6:32 am
MouthBreather

I see less gums(upper) when I laugh or smile hard, other than that no significant changes in facial structure. What is your opinion on changes in left incisors in the pic?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/06/2018 6:38 am
gubbbbb
Eminent Member

you chew gum OP? your pallet is wider but i think your developing cavities.

chewing gum is what keeps your teeth alligned

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/06/2018 5:54 pm
MouthBreather

Yes and no. I used to chew gum for 4-5hrs per day during first 6 months. I am not aware of any cavities, could you please edit the pic and point it out? Thanks

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/06/2018 7:07 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

jeez. 4-5 hrs is way too much. imagine going to the gym and blasting out sets for that long.

when you chew gum it should be difficult and short as opposed to easy and long. the latter will only encourage joint problems imo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/06/2018 8:04 pm
MouthBreather

Well, I remember Dr. Mew saying "repetition is preferred over short duration of hard chewing". IMO 5 hrs of chewing is pretty normal. Considering how soft food we eat nowadays. Also, do you see any cavities? 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/06/2018 8:41 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

Yeah, I mean 2 minutes of chewing on raw carrots isn't going to cut it but I don't think you need much more than half an hour to break down your masseter muscle for it to regrow stronger. I personally do about 30-45 minutes of really intense chewing a day and have great results. Going beyond a couple of hours, I think you risk hurting joints even on soft food. Something similar to RSI.

I read a story about a woman who completely ruined her jaw by chewing a small amount of soft gum for many hours a day. Remember that you're not just putting stress on the muscles, you are also wearing out the joint/socket etc

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3183266/I-chewed-gum-seven-hours-day-need-operation-fix-jaw.html

idk about cavities but what's that black [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] around your gumline? are you flossing and cleaning properly 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/06/2018 8:54 pm
MouthBreather

Yeah, I guess I should start flossing 😛

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/06/2018 10:03 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

do. as a teen i didn't floss enough and it caused a ton of damage to one of my back teeth on my right hand side. i regret it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/06/2018 1:46 am
Couda
Eminent Member
Posted by: MouthBreather

Well, I remember Dr. Mew saying "repetition is preferred over short duration of hard chewing". IMO 5 hrs of chewing is pretty normal. Considering how soft food we eat nowadays. 

Chewing for so long will only revert any mewing gains you've made during the day.

People in the past chewed food no longer than 2 hours.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/06/2018 12:12 pm
Peter

What is the intermolar width in the before picture? 32-33?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/06/2018 12:48 pm