Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Progress Photos with Proper Tongue Posture  

RSS
DrMario

I'd like to share my experience and progress with proper tongue posture. I had issues breathing through my nose adequately due to large tonsils and adenoids since childhood. Last year I got them removed and since then, I am finally able to breathe through my nose. I developed a habit of proper tongue posture and nasal breathing. I'm also including these cool CBCT images from earlier this year.

The low resolution picture was from 2014, taken by an orthodontist. From 2014 to 2019 is a huge improvement.

I still feel like I do need a little expansion. Not just for the crowding you see, but for an improvement in nasal breathing. Any thoughts if my upper arch looks fine?

I am considering skeletal expansion (MSE/MARPE) because after using nasal strips, I find I can breathe a lot better through my nose especially at night. I feel if I get some expansion, I can breathe a lot better through the nose with less nasal breathing resistance and perhaps less sinus congestion.

This topic was modified 1 month ago by DrMario
This topic was modified 4 weeks ago by DrMario
Posted : 20/08/2019 10:37 am
Agendum liked
Silberman

Excellent! How old are you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2019 11:18 am
DrMario liked
DrMario

@silberman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2019 11:57 am
Silberman

Thank you. Very impressive for an adult.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Silberman
ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2019 12:55 pm
DrMario liked
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

And you achieved this expansion through tongue posture alone? Did you have any dental treatment done previously?

Also, could you do a rundown of your routine? Technique, chewing, sleeping position, chin tucking etc. 

This post was modified 1 month ago by Pame
ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/08/2019 3:09 pm
DrMario liked
DrMario

No, I actually never had any treatment done. I was considering it in the past for that minor dental crowding...but I am so glad I didn't do it at the time. The first thing I need done is expansion and then treatment.

In my case, I've always had a little crowding between my upper and bottom incisors and canines. It's most likely due to a little improper tongue posture at some point during my developmental years. The crowding equates to a degree of transverse maxillary deficiency...which is why I am considering a skeletal expander because mewing can only get me so far.

From my experience...mewing for sure works. It's not some hocus-pocus mumbo-jumbo. But what I also believe is that mewing works to an extent; the magnitude and reach of your results is dependent on your age and how consistent you are. 

@Pame Honestly I don't have a routine but I can give you a rundown of what things I am cognizant of. Nasal breathing isn't just natural, but it's healthy. So ever since I got my tonsils and adenoids yanked out, my life changed completely.  No more anxiety, panic attacks or any of that. Because of how much nasal breathing has helped me, I am also more cognizant of my swallowing physiology...resting face when I am at work, alone or reading something. When I think of mewing, I really think of it as proper tongue posture. Because the models and movie stars you see today with their perfect jaw structures...they weren't thinking "mewing" but they simply had good tongue posture, good diets and a good environment that allowed them not to have stuffy noses all the time from allergies. 

The other two big ones are walking/sitting posture and sleep oral posture. When I walk past mirrors in public and glass window panes I look at myself to keep my posture in check which is supportive of good head and tongue posture. When I'm sleeping, nasal congestion is mega huge. If you aim to breathe through your nose, you need to be able to breathe deeply through the nose without congestion or nasal airflow resistance. Blow your nose, check for allergies, deviated septum, turbinates, and get those over the nose nasal strips. The nose plugs that dilate your nostrils didn't work well for me because they are uncomfortable and fall out during the night. 

This post was modified 4 days ago by DrMario
ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2019 10:40 am
Agendum, Pame and Adam liked
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

Amazing.  Have your teeth moved forward at all, or is it mostly just the palate expanding horizontally?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2019 10:20 pm
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

@DrMario Do you have any tips or ticks to getting the proper technique down? Are there any sensations or other signs you sense or feel that lets you know your technique is correct? Has the sensation of having your tongue against the roof changed as your palate expanded? 

Also, you mention dedication being important to achieving results, how big of a percentage of the day would you say you are in good posture and have correct oral posture?  Are you able to mew at night?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2019 7:28 am
dm222
Trusted Member

you didnt had a proper lip seal, correct?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2019 3:33 pm
DrMario

@drunkwithcoffee

My teeth have not moved forward. It's really transverse expansion that occured. As soon as I had T&A surgery + turbinate reduction, I was able to breathe nasally without any issues. It's really the turbinate reduction where I experienced a dramatic difference in my ability to breathe through my nose. It's worth noting that if you have ANY issues breathing through your nose, see an ENT doctor immediately. Because when you breathe through your nose, your tongue will always be seated at the roof of your mouth no matter what. If your palate is too narrow and your tongue can't fit, then SARPE or MARPE might be something you ought to discuss with your physician. Once your palate is mechanically expanded, you'll have enough room for your tongue and you can start mewing from there. Achieving proper tongue posture is doable if your tongue can fit on the roof of your mouth.

@dm222

I actually have always had proper lip seal, due to the fact that I never had a crossbite or any malocclusion to begin with. It's just bad habits, poor posture, improper swallowing, allergies and swollen tonsils that attributed to my inadequate nasal breathing, which preferred me to be a mouth breather...which is how I landed with a not-so-wide palate.

@Pame

If by "mewing at night" you mean while I am sleeping, then it's hard to tell if I am mewing during my sleep. But I have been using an iPhone app called "SnoreLab" which is an app that records the noises I make while I sleep. It even constructs waveform from the noises it records. Advice: Turn your fan off and keep your phone close to you as much as possible if you use this app. Before my tonsil surgery, I sounded like Bowser experiencing defeat...but now I don't hear any snoring and it doesn't sound like I am breathing through my mouth anymore...which is cool. But I can tell there is a degree of nasal breathing resistance and I can probably improve that with a skeletal expander. The wider your palate is, the wider your nasal floor is which improves the maximum volume of air you can take in with every breath through your nose. 

As far as how often I mew, I really don't stress it. I will hard mew maybe every other morning at my desk while I am at work for 2-3 hours and that's it. When I mew, I press my entire tongue against my palate. I start by saying the word "SING" and when I get to the "NG" part, I know where the position of my tongue should be and lay the rest of my tongue flat from there. When mewing, keep in mind not to get the forces confused between clenching your upper + lower teeth with the forces exerted against your palate by your tongue. Your teeth will be touching lightly if you're doing this correctly; if your teeth are clenched, you're probably not.

But whether I am mewing or not, I am always breathing through my nose, which means my tongue always sits on my palate the entire day...and that alone makes a huge difference. Mewing is basically proper tongue posture but being pushed to a higher gear for accelerated results. And then Skeletal expansion is like a Gameshark code....gives you 5-8mm or so of expansion...in about a month. Having proper posture and breathing habits...like I wrote above and in another post...changed my life for the better.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2019 4:30 pm
dm222
Trusted Member

your front teeth were tilted forward and now are normal, thats why I ask

did you use braces or did a treatment at any point in time between 2014 and 2019?

also what is your age?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/08/2019 6:16 pm
DrMario liked
DrMario

@dm222

Wow, thanks a lot for pointing that out...I did not notice that until I read your message! I guess those teeth did shift.

I actually never had any ortho done and I'm 27. I'm strongly considering getting a skeletal expander and then braces.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/08/2019 9:15 am
Rhoste

You would be wise to look into Maxillary expansion.  Your case doesn’t look too severe, probably because of all the effort you have put into your myofunctional habits.  Did yourself a great service clearing out your airway.  You have done all the preliminary stuff right, so why not complete your case and get into an ALF or MSE?

Creating Beautiful Smiles and Vibrant Health

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2019 11:54 am
DrMario liked
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

The x rays seem much wider than your pallete which one is your progress

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/09/2019 11:05 pm
DrMario liked
DrMario

Sorry for the late reply.

@Rhoste
Yes, I agree that my case isn't too severe but two different orthodontists told me that my IMW is rather narrow at 33mm. The orthodontist that I am currently working with talked about achieving 10mm of transverse expansion using the MSE with 9 months of retention.

I just got my spacers removed today and he went ahead and scanned my mouth and sent the images over to the lab for the MSE appliance. It should be installed hopefully before the end of this month.

@Rockyp33
All those CBCT x rays are the recent ones from February of 2019. The first (wider) arch is actually the lower arch, then the narrower arch is the upper arch. I apologize for the confusion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/09/2019 2:19 pm
Apollo liked
mscottxy

did you measure your intermolar width before and after? What was the difference? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/09/2019 3:09 am
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Please Login or Register