Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Palate expansion in 7 weeks picture comparisson  

RSS
Sailor87
Eminent Member

A few days ago I noticed that I can finally get my whole tongue on my palate.

The top picture was taken March 9 2019 exactly 7 weeks ago. I apologize for the thing between my teeth 😛 I only took the one picture so.. The bottom picture was taken today.

I feel like you can see a pretty significant difference in the two pictures, and I can definately feel that I have gained more room for my tongue.

Im surprised it didnt take longer time, at one point I was considering getting an appliance for expansion, but couldnt afford it. So this is to encourage the people out there with a narrow palate.

Palate comparisson

Posted : 27/04/2019 2:45 pm
Silver
Trusted Member

Whoa! Nice. Can you post a pic of the palate itself with your mouth wide open?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2019 2:48 pm
Sailor87
Eminent Member

Sure, but I dont have a pre picture to compare with, so why would you want that?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2019 3:05 pm
Community Lurker

Do/did you wear fixed wired retainers?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2019 4:01 pm
Sailor87
Eminent Member

No, i've never had braces or any other appliance of any kind.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2019 4:12 pm
Sailor87
Eminent Member

At first I could only get one side of my tongue up, where the tongue would be tilted, so I just did that.

Later on I started to be able to push my tongue up, but there was too little room, so it would be some part of the tongue being up there in suspension between the teeth. Sometimes it was quite uncomfortable for my tongue, but I would do it for some hours every night. No pain no gain 😛 Now I can have it up there with no discomfort, but there is still not alot of space on the sides, so I hope it will continue to expand.

And then ive been chewing gum for half an hour every other day.

Its been a gradual process becomming better at mewing, sometimes I would also mew without the back part of my tongue up, focusing more on the middle part, and using as much "vacuum" as possible. My ability to create a strong suction cup has been changing as my palate has been changing, its a strange thing.
But if you are able to get your tongue up where it is getting squeezed by your molars, then I think expansion can happen pretty fast. So just enjoy the discomfort while it lasts.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/04/2019 4:45 pm
Community Lurker

What age are you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2019 6:51 am
Community Lurker

Also please do post a picture of the palate with your mouth wide open, it would show to what extent your teeth have simply moved/tipped outwards/to the sides compared to your actual alveolar ridge moving outwards.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2019 7:02 am
Sailor87
Eminent Member

Im 31.

I see, that why Mr Silver was asking..

Like this?

Seems to me the palate is a little bit wider on the left side..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/04/2019 7:40 am
Community Lurker

It indeed does seem to be a bit wider on (your) left side, this will likely mean that you'll have to exert more pressure to the other side untill both sides are equal size, to which from there you can exert equal pressure both sides.

Also have you run into any problems yet with your occlusion? Are your mollars still able to get into contact with your lower teeth? Has the expansion not been enough yet for that to happen OR has your lower palate also expanded in width to match the new occlusion?

Here's a nice thread to some more info/discussion on that btw if that would be the case: https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/how-to-encourage-the-mandibular-arch-to-keep-up-with-expansion-of-the-maxillary-arch/

Anyways, for someone that is 31 this seems like some pretty nice progress! Did you make any measurements perhaps (before-after intermollar width)?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/04/2019 12:56 pm
Sailor87
Eminent Member

Thanks for the link, though its heavy reading for me sincce im not familiar with most of the terminology.

I have some assymmetry, the side where my arch is wider, my face seems to have dropped down a little more. Therefore my palate feels uneven in height as well. I never tried consciously to apply more pressure to one side, the shape of the arch does that by itself, since the wider side is also a little lower.

I read a post by Progress addressing this, and I have been following his advice by chewing more on the left side, and using the muscles on the left side to bite together in resting position.

I believe the assymetry came from using the muscles on my right side more unconsciously throughout my life.

For what its worth I do feel like the assymetry around my eyes have improved a little, but its not really something I can prove at this time.

When I started out I didnt know much about all this, I still dont, so I didnt take all the pictures that I should have.

Re my occlusion, I have not experienced any problems. I do not know whether this is because the expansion is too small, or if my lower palate has also expanded. Here is a picture of my current occlusion , when my molars make contact. I've just been trying to keep my teeth together and to chew some gum.

When I started I didnt know how to measure the inter molar width effectively, so what I did was take a tooth pick and cut it, then take a tweezer and put it between my 2nd molars, and then go by trial and error to get an approximate. I concluded it was about 34 mm.
Yesterday I bit down on a piece of paper and tried to measure it that way. Here is a picture of that. I would say it is about 39-40 mm now.
But I feel like when I mew I dont have much conscious choice on what side to apply most pressure, the shape of the arch decides that. If I had to do it consciously all day long it would be unbearable. I just trust that the arch will even itself out over time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2019 5:25 am
Sailor87
Eminent Member

One thing I forgot to mention is that during the past 4 weeks or so, I've started to grind my teeth in my sleep. Perhaps it has something to do with the upper and lower teeth catching up with eachother, or perhaps its just because I focus so much on keeping my teeth together during the day.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2019 5:54 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Your posterior open bite worsened it seems... but you said you had something between teeth in after photo??? I would not try to push up, but out. Lateral pressure is best delivered through an appliance like Schwartz shaved down or preshaved (space vacated in mold above the top of appliance). This can be made by putting wax along the palate before activation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2019 9:35 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Based on the posterior open bite, keeping tongue more forward can make sense. Don’t push up in the posterior third. Maybe use suction to pull down??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2019 9:36 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

*during creation.* (not before activation)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2019 9:37 am
Sailor87
Eminent Member

I had some food stuff left between the teeth on the pre picture.

I have a slight overbite, not a posterior open bite. Im the first picture I posted im obviously not trying to connect my molars, otherwise I would have died from starvation long ago.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2019 12:20 pm
GreekGodBrody
Trusted Member

That's a tremendous progress. From 34mm to 40mm in 7 weeks. That's unreal

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2019 2:13 am
Sailor87
Eminent Member

My toothpick measurement method was probably not very accurate. Id say it might have been a little wider than 34. I will try the same method again later to check. But thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2019 7:11 am
Sailor87
Eminent Member

When I use the toothpick method now I get it to be approximately 37 mm, so not that drastic, but I'll take it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2019 5:11 am