Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Palate Expander Update  

RSS
irmathurma

Hi everyone. To update on the palate expander, I measured the screws on both sides and I am sitting at about 2.5mm of expansion 

There's enough screw in the device that I think this one will work up to a full cm. However it is already starting to become misaligned with my teeth slightly - the plastic does not match up perfectly and the metal hook pieces that go around the molars have dropped slightly on the right side. 

I really do not mind or care. It is painful a little bit to bit against but it is not painfully digging into my gums.

A question for everyone who had the expander already: Do you feel a little ridge along your gums when you take it out? The expander doesn't touch the suture of my mouth, it pushes approximately 2-3 cm above my teeth. Along this point it leaves a ridge in the gums which slowly fades away. Seems normal, but I just want to check

Lastly, I found chewing is very important. I have a little piece of plastic that I chew on to help the teeth settle in.

As for improvements: My midface looks better and my nostrils can take in about 25% (idk lol 🙂 ) more air

Posted : 10/10/2017 10:48 am
Apollo liked
Colette
Eminent Member

Ok, yeah that's exactly what mine does, with the slip on one side and the plastic not matching up anymore. Do you feel that any of your teeth have tipped?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2017 10:56 pm
lagi
 lagi

What is your speed of expansion and if you dont  mind telling me, your age? I have a palate expander too and would like to increase the speed, as well as maximise expansion i can get

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/10/2017 7:54 am
AutoMod
Member Admin

All Topics Bumped

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/11/2017 8:52 pm
Neigh

So you expanded by 2.5mm just using it at night?

That's pretty major. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2018 5:57 pm
irmathurma
Posted by: Neigh

So you expanded by 2.5mm just using it at night?

That's pretty major. 

Probably more than 12 hours a day. I'd definitely have it out from 12-8pm. 

I've stopped using the expander because I think I need a new one. Everything is out of alignment with this, and orthos say that people usually need to get a new expander part way through treatment. 

It's been out for a long time now but no relapse

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/01/2018 9:55 am
Allixa
Estimable Member

Which expander were you using?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/01/2018 5:12 pm
dadfa

Could someone take out the expander's screw and replace it with a bigger one?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2018 12:00 am
Apollo
Reputable Member
Posted by: dadfa

Could someone take out the expander's screw and replace it with a bigger one?

As you expand the palate, it becomes less vaulted and the expander doesn't fit as well. The steeper edges of the expander start pushing against the teeth rather than the alveolar ridge. When this happens, you need to modify the expander or get a new one. So, it seems like users typically aren't able to open the existing screw all the way, let alone a longer replacement screw.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2018 12:53 am
irmathurma

As you expand the palate, it becomes less vaulted and the expander doesn't fit as well. The steeper edges of the expander start pushing against the teeth rather than the alveolar ridge. When this happens, you need to modify the expander or get a new one. So, it seems like users typically aren't able to open the existing screw all the way, let alone a longer replacement screw.

It's doing this for me, but I've just slowed down a ton and use it sparingly. It's definitely not in alignment with some of my teeth

Which expander were you using?

Y-Expander. I've got expansion in 3 directions, I think the front moves fastest but you can't expand that one more without throwing the back of the expander out of alignment. If you have the cash I'd recommend (in retrospect) doing the normal expander first and then buying the Y palate after.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2018 8:14 am
Allixa
Estimable Member

Thanks for the update. So you think that the normal expander is better at lateral expansion than the y-plate... I thought about getting the y-plate and only using the back screw so that my front teeth would be left alone. What about the y-plate did you not like?

They also have another device under the 'clear retainers and fake braces' section that I might experiment with. I think the value in this device is that since there is not much acrylic, you can keep using it even as your palate changes and gets lower.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/01/2018 2:33 pm
airleft

@Axilla

Hi Axilla, I'm curious how you are doing. What devices did you experiment with and how did it turn out?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/07/2019 8:50 am
Thefire
Posted by: Allixa

Thanks for the update. So you think that the normal expander is better at lateral expansion than the y-plate... I thought about getting the y-plate and only using the back screw so that my front teeth would be left alone. What about the y-plate did you not like?

They also have another device under the 'clear retainers and fake braces' section that I might experiment with. I think the value in this device is that since there is not much acrylic, you can keep using it even as your palate changes and gets lower.

Do you think this one perhaps would tipped the teeth more? It seems to focus more on the teeth than the palate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/07/2019 10:16 am
elevee
Trusted Member

I have both upper and lower expanders, and I'm having the same issue of it no longer fitting correctly on the bottom. I had significant orthodontic relapse and have expanded about 6mm. I was just considering the wisdom of getting a second one that will fit securely, and I'm glad that I'm not the only one experiencing the same thing!

Looking at the crowding, I'd say I should expand at least 2-4mm more for my teeth to really align. The good thing is that they ARE aligning themselves. Typically alignment doesn't happen with expanders, but so much space has opened up that they are actually uprighting themselves.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2019 1:15 pm
Wellwellwell

What palate expander are you using and where can you buy them? 

- Started soft mewing on 12 Feb 2019. Have not seen any real results or changes.
- Starting IMW: 35 mm
- Current IMW: 35 mm

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2019 3:01 am
elevee
Trusted Member

I'm using the Y expander up top and the standard one on bottom. I will PM you the link to where I bought them. I filed the front section back until it no longer touches my teeth and presses on the palate only. I've turned it very little compared to  the side sections, maybe 1.5 mm total. I'm getting ready to do a set of photos and make a post on the process so far.

As far as the palate dropping, I've seen disagreements about whether it does actually occur or not. Well, I can say it happened to me--very suddenly--right about 3mm. Literally I took it out in the morning, and in the evening when I put it in, there was a crushing pressure on my torus palatinus. I have filed it to a U shape on the back edge, and reduce the height by at least a millimeter, but it needs more removed.

On a positive note, my mother commented that my front teeth are noticeably less crowded the other day!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2019 6:22 pm