Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Palate expander for deep Palate?

reboot

Hi, i am 25 years old male from Germany and i have been mewing for 3 years. I have seen a lot of soft tissue changes on my face, but no noticable hard tissue change, is it because of the deep palate? So i decided to look into expanders, but there are no Drs in Germany who offer palate expansion or are there? Is there any possibility to expand a deep palate safetly, by your own, by ordering a product online? I wanted to expand my palate by Mike Mew, but i read at his homepage that he wont be treating adults with assymetry. I have severe assymetry, so that isnt an option anymore .Will assymetry hinder any real progress? My palate is about 40mm wide. Thank you for any help, i appreciate it.  

Topic starter Posted : 01/12/2019 10:26 am
PaperBag
Estimable Member

You're referring to a vaulted palate, right? I have the same problem, and have heard that expanders can drop a high palate but don't know how it works. It seems like if you and I inquired to someone about this, we'd be dismissed because our palates are 'wide enough' while ignoring the real issue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/01/2020 6:21 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@paperbag

I'm in the same boat, then. My IMW is 42 mm, but my palate has a high vault. I know that it's not a good enough width anyway, because my molars are crowded, and my incisors flare out due to lack of sideways space.

I'm also interested in how palate expansion would lower the palatal vault. I suppose it's because when you stretch an arch by the sides, it's highest point moves downwards - either in absolute terms, on in relation to the teeth.

I ordered a palate expander from BracesShop, so once it arrives, I will make regular updates on my progress, and its effects on my vaulted palate. Unfortunately, I sent in the teeth impression two months ago, and I have yet to receive the device. Either the shipment just takes such a long time, or I'll have to get in touch with the people at the company.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2020 1:58 pm
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@elwynn

My IMW is the same, but there's no crowding except my wisdom teeth needing a bit more room. I think another 5mm width would be great. Perhaps a vaulted palate gives an illusion of greater development in isolation because it's wide and also deep. Dropping it probably works through the logic you wrote, that's what I figured as well.

My above post from days ago turned out to be prophetic, since I just saw an orthodontist who instantly rejected the possibility of complications from previous treatment or that my face needed any growth. She said my face was beautiful in spite of my weak profile that she 'couldn't see', and my palate being vaulted is 'just how I am', yet also so wide that she'd have it narrowed if I was her patient...right after complimenting how broad of a smile I have.

That wasteful endeavor was done in hopes of using an expander under an orthodontist, lest I have to use BracesShop, so I look forward to your progress with it. Two months sounds like too long of a wait even for China, hopefully you get that resolved soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2020 11:04 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

There's something coming.  Closest now is SLDA...but the thing is... it's not about the teeth.  It's palatal shape.  So... it requires a reshaping...but the problem is that it must be done with the right amount of pressure to reform a deformed palate.  Myofunctional therapy/tongue placement goes too slow and just stretches bone.  It's tricky, but can be done.  You mustn't need to widen IMW to get palatal drop/reshaping.  IMO, the whole industry has been basically in the dark and a farce.  Listen, we've known for well over 100 years that a highly arched palate is not great for health... YET!  Who's been designing anything to fix this???????????????  SLDA and Vivos?  Meh.  They're okay, I guess, but I've NEVER seen any evidence that adults get real widening...w/o bone shifting through the alveolar ridge.  Perhaps it's there...just haven't seen it.  SLDA is actually targeting this...and devices are created specifically for each case.  Not bad.  Just...the thing is...something else will be coming down the pipeline.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2020 2:39 am
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@darkindigo Who have you been talking with that knows another treatment is in the works?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2020 2:53 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member
Posted by: @paperbag

@darkindigo Who have you been talking with that knows another treatment is in the works?

It's too early to tell.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2020 4:00 am
reboot

@Paperbag Thats what i am expecing too, that i will be dismissed. I found a Place in my area, where they expand palates. I will still give it a try.

@Elwynn I hope it works out for you. I may buy one too if i get dismissed, which will very likely happen.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/02/2020 5:50 pm
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member
Posted by: @reboot

Hi, i am 25 years old male from Germany and i have been mewing for 3 years. I have seen a lot of soft tissue changes on my face, but no noticable hard tissue change, is it because of the deep palate? So i decided to look into expanders, but there are no Drs in Germany who offer palate expansion or are there? Is there any possibility to expand a deep palate safetly, by your own, by ordering a product online? I wanted to expand my palate by Mike Mew, but i read at his homepage that he wont be treating adults with assymetry. I have severe assymetry, so that isnt an option anymore .Will assymetry hinder any real progress? My palate is about 40mm wide. Thank you for any help, i appreciate it.  

You should consult with some orthodontist offering MARPE, although you are quite in the age limit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/02/2020 3:50 am
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member

Maybe MSE could work... it's probably worth trying. I recently used MSE in a patient coming from Frankfurt, it went smoothly... but the patient is 14...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/02/2020 6:41 am
reboot

@sergio-oms

Thanks for the advice. May i ask where you are located at. So maybe i can do that do too as long as my age and the distance is right.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/02/2020 4:36 am
Sergio-OMS
Trusted Member

@sergio-oms

Thanks for the advice. May i ask where you are located at. So maybe i can do that do too as long as my age and the distance is right.  

Madrid, Spain.

25  is more is less the upper age limit. And vaulted palate isn’t good, too. It’s really up to wether to purse extra studies (CBCT) and to try MSE or not.

we can’t really guarantee any results

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/02/2020 6:51 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@sergio-oms

I'm skeptical of the emphasis on the age of 25 that I see frequently. I understand the rationale: 50 was the average lifespan of our ancestors (debatable) and so at the midpoint of 25, it would be unlikely to see any significant facial changes occur. Also, several important processes stop or significantly slow down around this time too, such as the development of the brain (though it continues to remain plastic). Nevertheless, the insistence on 25 as the limit for CFD improvement seems arbitrary to me. I mean, a person well over 25 can still lose substantial weight, and an elderly person can still in many cases correct a Dowager Hump on the back of their neck. Sure, the older you are, the more "set" in its form your body is, but it's not like our bodies ever become fully static blocks. Change in CFD seems to me nearly always possible, though the degree of this change and its speed may decrease after puberty and then again in advanced age. In regard to maxillary expansion, for instance, I think that what primarily determines whether it succeeds or fails in adults is the speed of expansion: an inappropriate speed will result either in teeth tipping or in damage to the palate. If the speed is appropriate, however, I think that most healthy adults, even much older than 25, should be able to achieve real expansion.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/02/2020 11:31 am