Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Not sure what to do next

Joshai

Hi I've been mewing for about two years now and whilst my palate has expanded, the look of my face hasn't really changed. What I'm most bothered with is an open bite (which I was told was due to my tongue not fitting in my mouth and thrusting between the teeth). I've fixed my tongue and oral posture and also do thumb-pulling to further expand the palate. However I'm now looking for what I can do to close the bite and fix my oral asymmetry. What would you recommend?

Topic starter Posted : 02/08/2019 11:01 am
ohwhatthehell
Eminent Member

Do you chew mastic gum at all? That's the only thing that I can think of. It looks like some of your lower teeth are hire than the ones in the front. Chewing might help even them out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2019 11:21 am
Joshai

@ohwhatthehell

I chew Falim gum but I haven't been super strict with it as a habit. Currently chewing 3 pieces right now on my right side.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 02/08/2019 12:04 pm
justdoit

You say you have expanded your palate through Mewing. That is great, but we need to dive deeper. My tiny but growing understanding tells me there's more to this than just palate expansion. How did you Mew:

1. Force your tongue to go on the roof of your mouth

2. Force your body posture, especially neck posture to be better in a sustained manner, in such a way that the tongue has no option but to go on the roof of your mouth. In other words, hard chin tuck, and mew but only as a side effect of the big picture posture correction. And yes, you can Mew as hard as you want by modulating the aggressiveness of your full body posture

The two may sound similar at first, but there's a critical difference. #1 may bring localized changes but #2 is really what is going to bring holistic and harmonious changes through restructuring of the entire skull.

Also, what was your before/after IMW? I used to believe that thumb-pulling is a good idea because of palate expansion but not anymore because thumb-pulling or an appliance of any kind will not bring harmonious changes.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2019 3:33 pm
Joshai

@justdoit

Hey sorry I've been away. My routine was as follows:

1) Permanently keep my tongue to the roof of my mouth via starting with a NG sound to stick the back up.

2) When I would drive to and from work everyday, I'd hard chintuck whilst mewing. It felt great when I did it but I quit work about a month ago so haven't been doing it as religiously.

I currently thumb pull by placing my elbows on a desk and using my two thumbs on my palate in an upward force a couple of times a day. I haven't measured the IMD - not sure how to. My belief that my palate has gotten wider is because my tongue now fits in my mouth and I no longer have a scalloped tongue from my teeth biting it accidentally due to it not properly fitting.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/08/2019 11:47 am
justdoit

Unfortunately, many people report their IMW increasing because the tongue fits better now. But really the tongue is made of muscle and will readily (1-2 months) adapt to the shape of the palate and fit much better. So there is no evidence that your IMW has indeed gone up. Here's some ways to truly keep track of expansion:

1. Get an expander just to keep track: I bought an expander from bracesshop.net to keep track of expansion.

2. Get calipers and measure between your molars

3. The 'toothpick' between your molars method

4. Press a piece of paper/cardboard on your upper dental arch

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2019 5:05 pm
dm222
Trusted Member

Mewing is not thw holly grail

By which mecanism did you expect mewing to fix an open bite? I dont see it...

If anything not pushing tongue against teeth, lip seal an chewing could help...

Are you sure you have an open bite? Seems like prognathism to me...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/08/2019 9:22 pm
Joshai

@dm222

Hi, I never said it was and I was asking for suggestions on what to move onto AFTER/WHILST mewing.

"However I'm now looking for what I can do to close the bite and fix my oral asymmetry. What would you recommend?"

Nothing about mewing in that question.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 06/08/2019 8:17 am