Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Myobraces

marp96

Hi guys, If anyone has experience using Myobraces, I could use some advice related to them. I am considering purchasing my own and DIYing the process to hopefully achieve some expansion in my arches. I am wondering if anyone has used Myobraces and, if so, how they worked out for you. Also, how did you determine if you're a size medium or large? I believe that these are the only two sizes they have available but am unsure how they vary in size? Also if anyone has done Myobraces with a dentist/ortho , how much did the procedure cost and how long did it take? Thanks in advance!

Topic starter Posted : 27/02/2021 8:08 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member

I think a myobrace is unlikely to give you much expansion, but if you want to try it for that purpose, you need to get one with channels wider than your current dental arches. The adult regular size seems to be too small for everyone except those with extremely narrow palates. Even the adult large was a little too small for me. What is your intermolar width measured between the lingual edges of your upper first molars?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/02/2021 9:06 pm
marp96

Gotcha, yeah my intermolar width is quite narrow at only 25 mm so I could probably benefit from it. When you say the "standard" size, do you mean the medium or large size? Those are the two sizes offered in the name brand Myobraces. The Amazon knockoff one seems to come in only one size though, do you happen to know whether that size is the equivalent to the medium or large Myobraces? I'm guessing whichever it's equivalent to is the standard size. 

I should add that this is just temporary expansion that I'm hoping to achieve until I can afford to have the MSE, which probably won't be for another two years. I figured, if there is a relatively cheap way that I can expand some (even if it's minimal) in the meantime, I might as well give it a shot. I just don't know what all the risks are with Myobraces so I'm trying to figure that out too. I appreciate your response!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 27/02/2021 11:25 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member
Posted by: @marp96

Gotcha, yeah my intermolar width is quite narrow at only 25 mm so I could probably benefit from it. When you say the "standard" size, do you mean the medium or large size? Those are the two sizes offered in the name brand Myobraces. The Amazon knockoff one seems to come in only one size though, do you happen to know whether that size is the equivalent to the medium or large Myobraces? I'm guessing whichever it's equivalent to is the standard size. 

I should add that this is just temporary expansion that I'm hoping to achieve until I can afford to have the MSE, which probably won't be for another two years. I figured, if there is a relatively cheap way that I can expand some (even if it's minimal) in the meantime, I might as well give it a shot. I just don't know what all the risks are with Myobraces so I'm trying to figure that out too. I appreciate your response!

When I purchased an adult myobrace A2 and A3, the size options were "regular" and "large." I imagine that the "medium" is equivalent to "regular," and the cheap generic one-size-fits-all knockoffs are probably about the same size as the regular/medium. If your intermolar width is really 25mm, the regular/medium size might still be wider than your current arches. The risk is if you go too big it will be uncomfortable to wear. If you're really planning to get bone-anchored skeletal expansion from MSE in the future, some people might not want to induce dentoalveolar expansion before hand because the MSE provider might decide you don't have maxillary transverse deficiency and aren't a good candidate. However, if you are really as narrow as 25mm IMW, then you'd still be a candidate even if you got a couple millimeters wider from a splint activator like the myobrace, and it might help you fit the 12mm MSE on your palate rather than the 10mm or 8mm. Do you have a vaulted palate? It might also help improve the symmetry and occlusion of your arches to give you a better starting point for skeletal expansion. So I wouldn't discourage you from experimenting with them, but temper your expectations for achieving significant expansion. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/02/2021 1:42 pm
marp96

@apollo Thank you for your informative response. It'll definitely help me in making my decision to experiment with this device. I do believe that my palate is as narrow as 25 mm, however, I did have extractions so I don't know if that impacts the measurement or not. I have had virtual consults with a couple of MSE providers and they both seem to believe that I'm an excellent candidate for the MSE device, so hopefully (as you've said) this won't preclude me from qualifying for it in the future. Would you happen to know if the Myobrace causes bone-borne expansion or tooth-borne expansion? I've listened to Ronald Ead's discussions regarding the disadvantages of tooth-borne expanders so I'm definitely wary of using them. From what I gather, though, this seems to be mostly assisting in maintaining good oral posture so I imagine that it's promoting bone-borne expansion through the force of the tongue, moreso than the force of the device on the teeth... though I could be wrong about that. Do you understand the mechanisms of how it promotes growth? I'm not quite clear on them. And yeah, I definitely don't expect any major improvements with this, but even just a couple of mm of expansion would aid in my ability to mew properly so that's mostly what I'm hoping for. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/02/2021 10:22 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member
Posted by: @marp96

Would you happen to know if the Myobrace causes bone-borne expansion or tooth-borne expansion? I've listened to Ronald Ead's discussions regarding the disadvantages of tooth-borne expanders so I'm definitely wary of using them. From what I gather, though, this seems to be mostly assisting in maintaining good oral posture so I imagine that it's promoting bone-borne expansion through the force of the tongue, moreso than the force of the device on the teeth... though I could be wrong about that. Do you understand the mechanisms of how it promotes growth? 

The ramp-shaped walls of splint activators like the myobrace guide teeth into alignment based on the bite force and hold the mandible close to class I occlusion. So any modest expansion is going to be dento-alveolar. It shifts teeth to fit the shape of the myobrace channels, and might induce some remodeling of the alveolar bone around the teeth and the condyle of the mandible. It's probably not going to give much, if any, remodeling of the body of the maxilla. The palate vault might remodel to be a little flatter, but it isn't going to separate the midpalatal suture in adults. The same is true for tongue posture. "Bone-borne" just refers to the anchorage of mini-implants in MARPE appliances like the MSE into the bone so that the expansion force is directed into the body of the maxilla, resulting in disarticulation of the midpalatal suture.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/03/2021 11:56 am