DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION
This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.
My progress pics age 29-31 male (2yr 4months~)
I've been lurking these forums for about a year now without posting. I don't see a lot of people my age that share pictures so I've decided to share with you the pictures I've taken to date.
I started watching youtube videos about mewing shortly after I turned 29 years old. I don't remember the exact date but approximately >2 years ago.
I had braces for 3,5(!) years from the age of 15-19. With what I've learned now I believe they caused facial asymmetry and plausibly narrower jaw. I also developed Torus palatinus during the exact years I had braces. The year before I found Orthotropics channel my dentist said I had started developing an open bite. I couldn't bite straight through an apple with my incisors. Long story short, these are the things I've kept in mind from the start.
I'm sorry that I don't have good pictures from before or during first year, these are pretty much the only ones I can find. Actually none of the pictures are great but the first two have 0 thought of angle, head tilting, lighting etc. I learned about that stuff when I found this forum in april 2019 and I still suck at it.
I started taking a lot of pictures with selfie camera trying to keep neck straight, eyes aligned with ears, only 1 eyebrow showing and with teeth still biting get as much of my tongue as possible on the palate while timing a swallow. I thought if I took enough pictures surely some would be good for comparison but I was wrong 🙂 Very time consuming and poor results
In the first pictures im also trying to get as much of the tongue on the palate as possible. I took the pictures with the intentions of seeing if I was getting more tongue space on the palate.
Feel free to comment or ask questions 🙂
And a couple from the front with pretty neutral expressions and some recent ones with different kinds of lighting.
Oh some pictures are tilted when I upload here. How can I fix it? 🙂
Nice, thanks for posting these. While it's difficult to assess your progress with certainty based on these photos, your face does appear healthier and more athletic in the latter pictures. I have a few questions, if you don't mind:
1. Have you modified an existing or started a new exercise routine over these 2 years? Follow up: have you lost weight?
2. Have you observed an increase in your IMW (inter-molar width), or otherwise noticed any improvement in tongue space?
3. Your chin is somewhat similar to mine, I think. I'm curious: are your bottom incisors proclined? I'm asking because that's a problem that I have.
24 years old
I'll be happy to. Left out a lot but I didn't want to make the original post too long.
1. First year I'm mostly chewing a lot and tongue chewing with several gums (like 2-4 hubba bubba gums) trying to make tongue space and work masseters. I can't remember when I started chin tucking but I did that A LOT until maybe 1 year ago. I now do chin tuck mixed with carefully tilting my head to get the neck warm few times a day. About 1 year ago the most drastic thing happened which was a massive pop around the joint of the mandible on my right (the weaker side). After that I had bigger range of motion in the mandible so I focused more on moving the mandible in a straight path (hard to explain). I've focused a lot on trying to figure out the lip seal. Did that excerise to do like :O face and press the lips together for 6 months. I didn't chew gum for several months during that time. This autumn I bought mastic gum and started doing more opening my jaws as balanced and flexed as possible (still do this).
No I actually gained about 10kg (22~ lbs) since starting.
2. I heard the first crack around my cheeckbones about 8 months in. That's when I started getting more tongue space. About 1 year in I could get the suction hold with the tip of the tongue. You know? Where you can get your tongue on your palate and then have some leverage with the tip to make room, not engaging back third. I started measuring IMW late, like 1 year ago and I think it was a bit under 40mm. Been doing thumb pulling extensively since nov/dec 2019 and I was measuring between 39,5-40,5mm and now I measure 41,5-42,5. I just measure it with postit and a pen so it's probably wrong but I'm measuring the same way and it's about 2mm wider on average.
3. Yes sir, impressive observation. The metal string after my bottom braces actually broke so the 2 front incisors are tilted forwards. Do you plan to do anythingin particular about it?
Most my progress has been with my bite and tongue space. I have a 5 years old mouthguard that is tilted when I bite down on it and I don't have an open bite anymore.
Nice, thanks for posting the pics. There's a more accurate method of measuring IMW with a piece of cardboard/hard paper, I suggest you look into that as it's more reliable.
Do you hard mew or soft mew? Are you swallowing properly? How do you sleep, with or without a pillow and on your back or side?
Thanks for the suggestion I'll check it out. I'm a bit puzzled which area people actually measure. I'm trying to measure from where the gum starts, if it's supposed to be only the area on the palate I'm a lot narrower.
I did hard mew first 1-1,5 years pretty relentlessly pressing the tongue mostly vertically, chin tucking and clenching jaws to put pressure on the palate. I guess soft mewing fits the description better after that but idk I'm pretty convinced I put more pressure on the palate today with "soft" mewing. Now I'm doing as much thumb pulling and chewing mastika as possible.
I think I'm swallowing properly (not using buccinators or lips) but there is probably still room for improvement. I'm getting the back third to lift when I do cheesy smile now which made no sense to me during my first year.
I sleep on either side or the back with a straight neck, never taped my mouth. Tried sleeping on the floor when I was lifting some weights this autumn but I couldn't fall asleep like that.
It's hard to exactly gauge progress from these pics, but I think you made some which would correlate to that 2 mm IMW increase you measured.
How is your weight/bodyfat though? Did you get leaner? And something I'm also interested in is if you did any neck exercise because your neck got THICC, if it's just from chin tucks that's very impressive.
Yeah most difference I noticed is inside the mouth with the bite getting better and more tongue space. A lot of small stuff but I think it's too early to say for certain.
"How is your weight/bodyfat though? Did you get leaner?"
I'm 173cm(5'8) and I came into this on a pretty strict keto diet so I weighed between 64-68(141-150lbs) first half-year. I was lifting some weights 30oct-20dec eating more carbs at which point I logged my weight going back and forth between min74(163lbs) and max 75,8kg(167lbs). Don't know about body fat % but I think a steady increase in body fat, not leaner. I weigh about 72kg rn so a bit leaner in the last front pics.
"I'm also interested in is if you did any neck exercise.."
Thanks lol I don't do like strength exercises for the neck but I stretch it regularly and changed only chin tucking to tilting it also while mewing. My guess is it got stronger mostly from keeping my skull in place while applying pressure from below and engaging back third of the tongue in swallowing. 🙂
Thanks for your response.
Regarding question #3, I hope that my proclined incisors will naturally retrocline a bit as my dental arch expands (if it expands). That is what a functional orthodontist who specializes in expanders told me during a consultation. I'm trying to achieve expansion naturally, but I also have purchased an expander, which I have yet to try on. I will probably use it at some point, though; maybe for nights, during sleep.
24 years old
How did you measure your IMW? Was is it based on the distance between your first molars?
And, just to be clear, you believe you increased you IMW in a span of about 5 months?
Great progress btw
You fix open bite?
Hi, I really appreciate you sharing your progress!! I’m in the same boat - reaching 30 years old as I begin my mewing journey. It’s really hard to tell the differences due to the differing angles of each photo you shared along with your head tilts, lighting, and changes in beard growth. With that being said though, the Mews say that change is possible in adults, but change would take longer in adults than children and teenagers. Also, Astro has mentioned that it took years to see a difference in his own face and visibly to others like family members who have commented on his appearance. I hope you aim to go for the long haul!
Consider taking pictures in a similar angle from your most recent photos (and shaving your beard if possible) every 6 months to see the change.
Anyway, good luck!