Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

My Exapnder Has Arrived!  

RSS
Cheekbones1983

Hello all,

As the title states, my expander has arrived! I was torn between https://www.bracesshop.com/en/expanders/4/active-plate-schwarz and https://www.bracesshop.com/en/expanders/1/y-plate/3-way-schwarz-upper-jaw . In the end I went with the 3-way expander (will explain why shortly).

My goals are to hopefully improve sleeping and breathing, widen my upper arch a few mm (and then my lower arch as apparently it develops with the upper arch), drop my high arch a few mm so my teeth show vertically when smiling and achieve some forward growth to hopefully develop some cheekbones (which I hope will support my eyes a little more, give them a slightly more sunken look and help eliminate the negative canthal tilt) and to see my lower jaw move forward with it and help eliminate my double chin.

The reason I went with the 3 way appliance is so I can turn the front plate every few weeks to try and mimic mewing with forward/upward pressure for forward growth and to drop my high arch. I intend to turn width ways every other day (each quarter turn is apparently 0.2mm, 4 full turns equal 0.8mm) and to wear around 20 hours a day for the next few months.

Hopefully this isn’t happening too late for me at 36 years old. I had braces when I was 13 and for that I had either 3 or 5 teeth out when I had them done (I thought it was only 3 extractions but I have 14 upper and 13 lower teeth which suggests 5). Had Damon braces again 3 years ago which came off last year and while they helped bring teeth forward and widen my arch a little there is only so much they can do.

I was wearing a removable retainer at night on both the upper and lower arch (which I will now stop wearing). I also have fixed retention on my upper 4 front teeth and lower 5 (yes 5, front tooth removed, hate that) teeth. This I believe could hamper me somewhat as the mid palatal sutre can't split but we shall see.

Decided to go this route as I had a sleep apnea test in February and was scheduled to see a maxi-facial surgeon in April but COVID-19 happened. Appointment was moved to June and then cancelled again. Still awaiting sleep apnea test results too.

I wish to document my progress on here but PLEASE NOTE AT THIS STAGE I WILL NOT BE POSTING PICTURES, IF I DECIDE TO DO SO IT’S MY CHOICE AND I WILL BLUR OUT CERTAIN FEATURES OF MY FACE – THEREFORE PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO POST PICTURES. What I do want to share is my own personal experience and see if it works. I have some ‘measurements’ I have taken below, how accurate they all are god only knows, but I am hopeful that they can provide a rough guide of where I am at now and where I want to be.

Measurement NOW GOAL
Mew line 32mm 40mm
Base of nose to bottom of upper front teeth 20mm 27mm
Bottom of ear to bottom of mandible (gonial angle?) 42mm 49mm
Relaxed smile upper tooth showing 4mm 10mm
Forced smile upper tooth showing 7mm ???
Ear to ear (measuring round front teeth) 10inch ???
Chin & neck circumference 18inch 21inch
Neck circumference 14inch 15.5inch
Lower jaw corner 2 corner 8 inches ???
Lower jaw height 50 mm ???
Skull circumference 22inch ???

Any feedback is good feedback, are these ‘goals’ realistic?

Thanks, and wish me luck!

Posted : 09/06/2020 9:25 am
Thomas22 liked
Wellwellwell

Why not go with an appliance supported by a professional?

- Started soft mewing on 12 Feb 2019. Have not seen any real results or changes.
- Starting IMW: 35 mm
- Current IMW: 35 mm

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/06/2020 4:56 am
Cheekbones1983
Posted by: @wellwellwell

Why not go with an appliance supported by a professional?

Please continue......

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/06/2020 11:40 am
Cheekbones1983

So, few things from the first week:

Baring last night, according to my fiancee I haven't snored at all.

Have turned it width ways 4 times (1mm total) and forwards twice (0.5mm - not going to turn forward too much but want to turn a couple times to simulate forward pressure from mewing).

I am wearing it on average about 20 hours a day, working from home helps with that, I remove when eating, drinking, brushing teeth and leaving the house.

Was tough to talk properly when first started using it but getting better now. Was also a lot of saliva to begin with but not as much now.

When it's been turned the pressure feels a little like having wires on braces changed/tightened.

Too early to tell any changes, particularly looks wise but can feel sort of a tingling in my cheekbones and around my nose so am hoping that's a positive sign.  

Will likely check in with an update in the next week or so.

Take care, if any questions please ask.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/06/2020 6:29 am
Wellwellwell

Did you send braceshop your dental impression?

- Started soft mewing on 12 Feb 2019. Have not seen any real results or changes.
- Starting IMW: 35 mm
- Current IMW: 35 mm

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2020 4:47 am
Cheekbones1983
  • @wellwellwell yeah, bit tricky doing own moulds, what appliance would you have recommended re your earlier post?
ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/06/2020 11:49 am
Cheekbones1983

So just over 2 weeks in, am turning every 2 to 3 days.

My smile looks slightly 'wider', but don't know if I am convincing myself of that or not. Sometimes I also feel I am showing marginally more tooth vertically but again, is that my mind playing tricks or not? Who knows.

One thing I am 'convinced' has improved though are my cheekbones, I say 'convinced' as I am eating at a slight caloric deficit and weight training while working from home. I am losing about a pound a week (just shy of half a kg) and I want to lose another 10 pounds or so before end of August when hopefully holidays happen for me. Thats why I wonder ever so slightly that the cheekbones showing are down to weight loss or not. I also feel a very slight improvement in lower jaw/chin, my double chin seems slightly less visible than before (always have had a double chin even at my lightest weight of 150lb as an adult, am 175 atm). If I catch myself in the mirror at a slight angle it does seem my lower jaw is slightly more prominent but once again, too early to tell for definite.

If changes are happening, I am hoping that my arch drops a bit so more upper tooth shows. I have the u shaped upper arch, I have read it should be more flat on roof of mouth. As for health benefits I am sleeping better and according to the better half snoring less (she is happy with that), so hopefully that will continue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/06/2020 10:16 am
Tituss

Aren't your teeth going to misalign using that appliance?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2020 11:48 pm
Cheekbones1983
Posted by: @tituss

Aren't your teeth going to misalign using that appliance?

Apparently the lower teeth/jaw expand with the upper.

So far I haven't noticed any issues.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/07/2020 10:37 am
Cheekbones1983

So it's been 4 weeks now and I am still pretty happy with things. It does seem like there are small changes in the cheekbones, jaw line and slightly more vertical tooth showing when smiling.

I mentioned that I was turning the expander forward, I have since decided to undo that so it's now just width ways, total width (lateral?) expansion is 3mm.

I seem to have a little more width to my face as well, the masseter muscles seem to be working better maybe. So hopefully over the next few weeks I will continue to see some more subtle changes. Sleep wise snoring a lot less now, not 100% gone but much better. 

One other thing I have noticed is even with undoing the forward pressure, I can feel pressure at the top of my nose and my forehead; hopefully that's a good sign.

Will continue to update every few weeks or so and if it even proves helpful for one person that that's a bonus.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/07/2020 9:32 am
Kilroy

Interesting thread to follow, I have ordered my palatal expander and I will expand as well,so this is of great interest for me. I have a few questions though, you say that your mew line is 32mm, and your goal is for it to increase? 32mm is way shorter then what John Mew described as optimal, and the lower the number the better facial development, so I dont really understand what you mean by that. I also wonder what your intermolar width is, and how much do you plan to expand it? And what will you do after expansion? regarding potential misalignment of bottom and upper teeth, gaps between front teeth etc. These things seem like they should mostly work themselves out, but in case they don't, what would be your plan?

Keep the updates coming!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/07/2020 6:17 am
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

should i get one

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/07/2020 7:33 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@cheekbones1983

Hey, I just posted an update about regarding my experience with a palate expander. I thought that I'd let you know in case you'd like to compare our progress.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/07/2020 8:23 pm
Cheekbones1983
Posted by: @kilroy

Interesting thread to follow, I have ordered my palatal expander and I will expand as well,so this is of great interest for me. I have a few questions though, you say that your mew line is 32mm, and your goal is for it to increase? 32mm is way shorter then what John Mew described as optimal, and the lower the number the better facial development, so I dont really understand what you mean by that. I also wonder what your intermolar width is, and how much do you plan to expand it? And what will you do after expansion? regarding potential misalignment of bottom and upper teeth, gaps between front teeth etc. These things seem like they should mostly work themselves out, but in case they don't, what would be your plan?

Keep the updates coming!

Hello,

I want to increase my mew line so more upper tooth shows, maybe thats wrong of me though?

My intermolar width was 35mm to start.

In time I am hoping to get a new appointment with the maxifacial clinic and go from there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/07/2020 6:43 am
Cheekbones1983
Posted by: @rockyp33

should i get one

That's entirely down to you, what are your goals?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/07/2020 6:44 am
Cheekbones1983
Posted by: @elwynn

@cheekbones1983

Hey, I just posted an update about regarding my experience with a palate expander. I thought that I'd let you know in case you'd like to compare our progress.

Hello, good to hear from you again, well read that and keep updating this as well, thanks and good luck 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/07/2020 6:47 am
NotfunnyDidntlaugh

You are saying that your teeth will not be misaligned because the down arch expands as well.Is the palatal expansion you are having rapid or slow? Propably the rapid expansion needs braces for bite correction afterwards..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/07/2020 9:34 am
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@notfunnydidntlaugh

In my experience, the lower dental arch did not follow the expansion of the upper dental arch when using the expander. The two arches expanded together only when I achieved the expansion using my tongue.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/07/2020 1:00 pm
Cheekbones1983

Little further into my journey, not much else to report.

Cheekbones seem more prominent, not too sure though if gaining any forward growth/dropping of my upper arch which I would like to achieve.

Maybe need to be more patient, hasn't even been 2 months yet. Have widened the expander 4mm so far.

Any tips/suggestion for forward growth/dropping upper arch would be well received, thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/07/2020 7:25 am
mysterecessed

@cheekbones1983

I'm unable to find a practitioner ask for advice regarding the palate expander you're using, or other palate expanders like the DNA or Homeoblock. I currently don't see myself doing it alone as I am afraid I will cause more harm than good to myself. May I know how you decided to do this by yourself and what you had to learn before you did this?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/08/2020 3:20 am
Cheekbones1983
Posted by: @mysterecessed

@cheekbones1983

I'm unable to find a practitioner ask for advice regarding the palate expander you're using, or other palate expanders like the DNA or Homeoblock. I currently don't see myself doing it alone as I am afraid I will cause more harm than good to myself. May I know how you decided to do this by yourself and what you had to learn before you did this?

Hello.

I decided to do this as my appointment to see a Maxi-facial surgeon was cancelled.

To answer the part of your question about 'learning', I haven't learnt anything as such, just to be patient and not to expect too much I guess.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2020 11:05 am
mysterecessed
Posted by: @cheekbones1983

Hello.

I decided to do this as my appointment to see a Maxi-facial surgeon was cancelled.

To answer the part of your question about 'learning', I haven't learnt anything as such, just to be patient and not to expect too much I guess.

Thanks for the reply. What were you doing see the Maxi-Facial surgeon for? Were you planning on doing invasive surgery?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/08/2020 8:42 am
Cheekbones1983
Posted by: @cheekbones1983

Hello.

Thanks for the reply. What were you doing see the Maxi-Facial surgeon for? Were you planning on doing invasive surgery?

It was the next step after my sleep apnea test, don't know what they would have recommended. Hopefully in time I will get another appointment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2020 4:23 am
Cheekbones1983

Another update - I am now working in the office on a semi full time basis and as such I am not wearing the expander as much. I have gone from wearing it 20+ hours a day/night to about 12 hours. Yet it doesn't seem to be doing any harm, in fact the opposite. In terms of my smile there seems to be a small improvement in vertical tooth showing, and my cheekbones seem more developed. I read a thread a while back that said it is actually better to wear just at night rather than all day, can anyone confirm if this is correct.

Also for those wondering if the bottom jaw/arch will widen with the top; well before I started using the expander I had a removable retainer I wore at night. Two months in, the top one obviously doesn't fit but the bottom one also now doesn't fit and feels tight on the outside of the arch (if that makes sense) so something is happening.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2020 4:29 am
Kilroy

How many mm have you turned your expander so far now? Could you also provide pictures of your arch? that would be interesting.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/08/2020 4:43 am
mysterecessed

What you're doing sounds like it's working. I have some questions

1) Does the expander expand evenly to each side?

2) Did you have to modify the expander in any way for it to work for you?

3) Why did you choose to undo the forward expansion? Were you turning the forward expansion 1 round every time you turned the lateral expansion 1 round too?

4) Did you do a mold of your teeth and palate before starting?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2020 4:40 am
Cheekbones1983
Posted by: @kilroy

How many mm have you turned your expander so far now? Could you also provide pictures of your arch? that would be interesting.

I have turned about 5mm so far; at this time I won't be posting pictures and it's highly unlikely I will at all, this thread is most likely me writing up my experience and it's up to the individual what they take from it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2020 5:32 am
Cheekbones1983

What you're doing sounds like it's working. I have some questions

1) Does the expander expand evenly to each side?

2) Did you have to modify the expander in any way for it to work for you?

3) Why did you choose to undo the forward expansion? Were you turning the forward expansion 1 round every time you turned the lateral expansion 1 round too?

1) Seems to expand evenly.

2) I have sanded down where the first canine sits; in an ideal world the expander wouldn't expand 100% laterally, it would be at a slight angle (hard to explain). The Front part of the Y plate sits on the 4 front teeth so they dont separate (which I why I went with that over the 2 way expander) so when you turn, the first canine kind of separates from the incisors, hence the sanding down.

3) Because it was simply tipping the front teeth forward; I had hoped turning it a couple of times would mimic mewing but I don't think that's the case.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2020 5:41 am
mysterecessed

@cheekbones1983 

Thanks for the reply. Did you make a mold of your palate and teeth before starting?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2020 7:08 am
Cheekbones1983

@cheekbones1983 

Thanks for the reply. Did you make a mold of your palate and teeth before starting?

Nw. Yeah they send you a mould kit, enough for two moulds which was handy as I messed the first one up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/08/2020 7:45 am
Cheekbones1983

Sorry I haven't posted for a while - went on holiday about 2 months ago and got 2 separate bouts of food poisoning, only just getting over it now.

I have stopped turning the expander for now as I have had an appointment at the maxi-facial clinic and am waiting for them to get in touch.

As for my sleep apnea, I have got mild sleep apnea and they want me to have a mandibular advancement device to wear at night, but I would much rather also address the maxilla for a permanent solution.

Will keep you posted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/10/2020 7:09 am