Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

My Case - Class III Maloclussion, recessed maxilla, and large gonial angle  

RSS
adcr
 adcr
(@adcr)
Eminent Member

I have known about correct tongue posture for about 5 months now. I have a good looking facial appearance from a forward view, but any angle that isn't that + smiling looks horrible. I concluded the reason for this is because of my underbite and large gonial angle... I got my tongue posture wrong consistently when I learned about it until about a month ago, however I would say the new year is when I got serious about it and got rid of the top retainer which blocked my tongue at night, started mouth taping, etc. I have noticed no results so far, since I’m new to correct tongue posture most likely, and almost never being able to engage the back third of the tongue practically throughout my day without airway interference. I just turned 16 and I am hoping I still have time left to correct my face and teeth. Still have some crooked/cramped teeth on the bottom but I am wearing a bottom retainer at night to correct this.

My current craniofacial issues:

- Lack of orbital rim support and brow bone (dark circles under eyes)

- Recessed maxilla due to years of keeping tongue on bottom of mouth

- underbite (not so much w/ teeth, moreso with location of jaw), class 3 malocclusion

- crooked smile

- enormous gonial angle

Other things I’d like to fix:

- Enlarged mastoid bone. This causes my ears to stick out… not sure if this has anything to do with mewing and tongue position but I know a lot of overall skull shape is related to tongue.

- Breathing. I want to start nose breathing when I exercise and without mouth taping assistance when I sleep. My parents were ignorant of the effects of my mouth breathing which they had observed since I was a baby so I think it has really wrecked my nose/maxilla area.

https://imgur.com/a/HYRUHAY

For my current tongue posture - it is quite cramped up there and my tongue overlaps with my back teeth when I open up my mouth.

IMW: 34-35mm

Jaw Angle: Probably around 140 degrees. Lot of baby face fat in the way but judging from the shadow it seems around there.

Mew measurement from nose tip to front incisor: 46-48mm, not quite sure. I also have a weak bone structure when it comes to my nose so it is slightly upturned and rounded.

I will post results over time and ask for advice as I need it here, if anyone has some information on how to use facepulling I’m really eager to hear it as I am still unable to engage back third of tongue without issues breathing, and my tongue is very squished when performing proper tongue posture.

This topic was modified 2 months ago 2 times by adcr
Posted : 12/01/2019 9:25 pm
adcr
 adcr
(@adcr)
Eminent Member

I would also like to ask - is my tongue position from my pictures correct?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/01/2019 11:49 pm
Class III
(@class-iii)

Have you been advised about your tongue tie? I have pretty much the same concerns regarding my recessed maxilla but have also been informed of a partial tongue tie which is believed to have caused the downward positioning of my tongue during the crucial developmental years (hence underdeveloped maxilla).

I may get this corrected depending upon the treatment plan I choose

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2019 11:51 am
adcr
 adcr
(@adcr)
Eminent Member
Posted by: Class III

Have you been advised about your tongue tie? I have pretty much the same concerns regarding my recessed maxilla but have also been informed of a partial tongue tie which is believed to have caused the downward positioning of my tongue during the crucial developmental years (hence underdeveloped maxilla).

I’ve looked at pictures of tongue ties, I don’t think I have one and am able to get tongue up on roof of mouth. Does that band of muscle perpendicular to the tongue below it always indicate a tongue tie?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2019 2:33 pm
adcr
 adcr
(@adcr)
Eminent Member

I’ve looked at pictures of tongue ties, I don’t think I have one and am able to get tongue up on roof of mouth. Does that band of muscle perpendicular to the tongue below it always indicate a tongue tie?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2019 2:33 pm
Class III
(@class-iii)
Posted by: adcr

Yes - it is that band of tissue which is effectivley the "tie".

There's a video of AGGA user Ronald Ead getting his one corrected on youtube.

I'm not sure if I can post youtube links but if you type "Ronny's tongue tie release" you'll see the procedure undertaken. Only around 30 second video.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2019 7:53 pm
adcr
 adcr
(@adcr)
Eminent Member
Posted by: adcr

Yes - it is that band of tissue which is effectivley the "tie".

There's a video of AGGA user Ronald Ead getting his one corrected on youtube.

I'm not sure if I can post youtube links but if you type "Ronny's tongue tie release" you'll see the procedure undertaken. Only around 30 second video.

It doesn’t seem to be an issue restricting my tongue’s motion at all. I’ll speak to my dentist about it next time but it might not be an issue atm. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2019 11:25 am
Class III
(@class-iii)

I didn't think mine was an issue either and always assumed it to be a physiological  norm. After my consultation for AGGA, my report suggested I may need to get mine corrected as part of the treatment process.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2019 3:05 pm
adcr
 adcr
(@adcr)
Eminent Member

I didn't think mine was an issue either and always assumed it to be a physiological  norm. After my consultation for AGGA, my report suggested I may need to get mine corrected as part of the treatment process.

It’s called the frenulum, it’s normal. What is AGGA exactly, btw? An appliance?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2019 4:31 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register