Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Mewing with Braces Made my Face Worse?

Spade
Eminent Member

Hello everyone, let me start off by saying I'm 15 years and 7 months old, and looked into braces a year ago because I had slight gaps in my teeth, one tooth tilted up more than the other and an overbite with a set-back jaw (the thing that really bothered me). I suppose I had excellent forward "mid face maxilla" but a small, set-back, "down turned" chin. My face was very slim at this time, but my jaw was sort of round/oval in shape and my mouth would hang open slightly, but my lips would stay closed with my tongue actually resting on my lower palate, but still nose breathing, I was never a 24/7 mouth breather. However, I noticed early this year, that my face was starting to become more angular, I suppose, my jaw was becoming better. Finally, in April this year, 2 days before my birthday, I got braces put on. I only had top braces for the first two months due to my overbite or something, but shortly after I got the top ones put on, I discovered orthotropics and mewing. At first I had trouble understanding proper oral posture, but stumbled upon a youtuber that made videos about mewing and someone made asked a question in the comments, that I too was concerned about, and that was the natural bite position. The youtuber explained that you were supposed to have a slight overbite, so what did I do for months? I began unnaturally judding my jaw out to match a perfect bite 24/7 for months on end, while practicing proper swallowing for hollow cheeks. Picture me swallowing without moving my face at all, but my jaw being judded out at the same time. Also when I first began mewing I started chewing hard falim gum for an hour or more daily but my face was becoming "chipmunk-like", so I stopped. I noticed after maybe 2 months of judding my jaw out 24/7 that my cheeks were looking chubbier and my chin was becoming more square and short looking and I did not like this at all. I then listened closely to Mike Mew's advice when he stated that my teeth should be completely closed while swallowing, I began doing so and closing my teeth completey more often (maintaining natural bite instead of judding) and closing them every single time I swallowed, mind you I was wearing elastic rubber bands by then so my jaw naturally judded out very slightly while wearing them, but good news, my cheeks bones became better, and visible cheekbone lines were starting to show.

My main concern however is that this whooole time I've had braces, my cheekbone area starting to round out and become fatter from the front and when I clench my jaw, the roundness in the cheekbone area exaggerates. It's almost like my massamter muscle was somehow placed right on my cheekbones when I began orthodontic treatment so when I practiced hard chewing, my cheekbones were becoming bigger and rounder. There's a big difference when I smile. Pre-braces my cheekbones were smaller and skinnier, now my face looks extremely round when I smile. The mewing has definitely made my face wider, but rounder at the same time, very unaesthetic looking. I honestly don't know where I went wrong and am considering taking my braces off and hanging my mouth open slightly with my lips remaining closed as I did earlier in the year to get the slim angularity back that I had before discovering mewing.
I also noticed that the sides of my face were becoming wider, (more space between eyes and hair), accentuating the roundness of my face. I also know I'm not going crazy because even my grandma and my mom commented on my face looking rounder, so I honestly don't know what to do.

Topic starter Posted : 24/11/2018 10:13 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

How long has it been since that happened? Also I would recommend anybody who is mewing not to hard mew, it's bad. Another bad habit was that jaw judding, that is likely the culprit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2018 11:18 pm
Spade
Eminent Member

How long has it been since the rounding started? Probably like 5 months. And just to check that we're on the same page, by judding I mean pushing my jaw out. Just in case I wasn't clear enough.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 24/11/2018 11:35 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

I know what that meant, but I never heard of something like this the judding or improper oral posture may have caused this, besides being round what other irregularities do you think your face possess, or is it just that? But once again it could be improper oral posture, your face may have not grown correctly. I'm sorry to say, but you can reverse this with mewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2018 12:12 am
Spade
Eminent Member

Hm, well I've always had dark circles under my eyes, my lips are a bit asymmetrical, as well as my jaw itself, one side of my jaw has a higher angle and the other a lower (not noticable). As far as I know, I have proper oral posture now. My teeth completely closed with my tongue at the roof of the mouth and the tip touching the little ball behind my front teeth. Ever since I practiced mewing in April or May, it feels most natural this way, it feels unnatural now to have my tongue resting at my lower palate as I used to.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/11/2018 1:15 am
Spade
Eminent Member

See, I'm hoping by the time my overbite is corrected and in place, my jaw will even out. Is that a fair assumption? Because it's almost like my massameters are in my cheekbones currently. Also I was scheduled to have braces for a year and a half (just a little more info).

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/11/2018 5:50 am
Spade
Eminent Member

Also, are you saying if I take my braces off within the next week that it would be impossible to make my palate any wider?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/11/2018 5:52 am
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

Thank God you came along, I was just talking out of my... Face.

Duloc kids

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2018 1:22 pm
Spade
Eminent Member

Thanks for all the help. Do you think you can link me to your dark circles article?

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/11/2018 3:01 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

i used to jut my jaw out of insexurity i do it much less now it ruins tongue posture for me so i lost some progress like u did just mew with your natural bite but with a chin tuck and good posture

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2018 10:40 pm
Fred
 Fred
Estimable Member

But a big fish in a small tank always leaves a trace.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/11/2018 6:09 pm
openbytes17

Hey OP, the EXACT same thing happened to me. I got braces and it completely changed my cheekbones area making them look wider but in a weird way. I’m hoping they one day go back to normal, i dont understand what caused it either, maybe it was mewing while in braces

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/11/2018 6:04 pm
Nickolas Krivich
Do you think your braces interfered with your mewing progress and did your palate expand

while mewing with braces

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/03/2019 7:25 pm
Nickolas Krivich
Do you think your braces interfered with your mewing progress and did your palate expand

while mewing with braces

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/03/2019 7:25 pm