Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Mewing only pushed up one side of my face?  

RSS
lil nut
Eminent Member

I've been mewing for 4 months and i noticed that only one side of face is more upswung, strange right? When i started both of my eye bags and cheeks were the same size but now my right eyebag is 2x the size of the left eyebag, my cheek or buccanator area is more bloated on the downswung side( I did not have this before). Could this be caused by uneven tmj or maybe my posture is still bad?

Posted : 24/11/2018 10:40 am
Drave

I am facing same problem,i havent found a solution yet

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2018 11:02 am
savage_speed03

Maybe your massater is stronger on one side maybe you sleep only on one side maybe you had it before maybe your swallowing with one buccanator. I have a similar problem but it’s not really noticeable I don’t know what to do it might get worse.

You can’t rlly notice it here but in a mirror it’s much more prevalent :/
ReplyQuote
Posted : 24/11/2018 11:25 am
Achilles1
Trusted Member

Asymmetries will work themselves out over time. If you sit, stand, chew, or swallow asymmetrically, these habits will be present in the pitch, roll, and/or yaw of the maxilla. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/11/2018 7:39 pm
Arkey

@Achilles1

So, in relation to this, do you know whether one side of the jaw would be higher because it had been chewing more, or would it be higher because it had been chewing less?

I'm trying to understand my own asymmetries, and as far as I can tell the whole right side of my face is higher up than the left. I also wonder whether this could be to do with the tilt of my head in general.

- Mewing for 6+ months
- IMW: 35mm (no expansion)
- Sleep on the floor without a pillow
- Tape mouth at night
- Continue to emphasise chin-tuck/occipital drive for extended periods
- Chew Mastic Tears for 1 hour every other day

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/11/2018 12:47 pm
Jayway42

I think the reason for this is because you're swallowing harder/more or one side. I do this and am still trying to correct it. My left side of my face is much more developed and my left cheek bone is further forward. I've noticed this but mewing made it even more noticeable. I think i have done it for a year or two, basically when i swalllow half of my tongue pushes up hard and the other half barely touches it. It's so [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] hard to correct tho. But yeah i reckon you have the same problem mate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/02/2019 11:18 pm
LizzyBennet

I acquired a habit of chewing only on my right side when I had lingual braces. It was to do with the fact that my tongue was getting cut by the brackets in certain positions and also because I had teeth sensitivities from the braces on my left side more than my right, so over time, I started chewing more on my right side and by the time the braces were out I was chewing exclusively on my right side.

The face changes from this were:

- Mouth skewed to the right and upwards.

- Right side of nose shifted downwards towards my mouth.

- Cheekbones higher and more prominent on the right side of face. Better eye support on that side also.

- My upper and lower dental arch midlines do not match up anymore. The midline of the lower arch is to the right of that of the upper arch.

All these problems did not exist before braces. I think these particular issues were caused by chewing on my right side only (I have other issues that have been caused by braces in general).

Starting recently I am trying to chew on both sides, with the emphasis on the left, to see if these issues resolve. I have also recently started mewing to see if that will help, and have ditched my removable retainers to make sure it won’t hinder any favourable movement.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/02/2019 10:07 pm