Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

'Melted Face' case - will mewing help?  

RSS
MB123

Hi guys,

I’m a 27 yr old female, classic ‘mouth breather’ when I was younger - I was full of allergies and always had colds and a blocked nose combined with poor posture and being slouched over playing video games all day!

I’ve had braces but no extractions so my teeth are straight and considered a class I occlusion. Also have TMJ issues such as clicking, popping and pain while chewing and opening my mouth and neck stiffness.  From the front I have noticeable asymmetry and I’ve always been self conscious as I don’t have much facial bone structure - you can see that the line from my eyes to my nose goes straight down, lack of cheekbones (although I had facial fillers a few months ago), I have a double chin (I’m only a UK size 6-8 which is very small) and my nose appears to be sticking out due to lack of mid face volume.

I was just wondering if mewing would be enough to see decent changes in my face (I wish I’d discovered it when I was much younger!) or would it be worth looking into surgery considering the level of recession in my maxilla? 

I'm going to start improving my posture and oral posture anyway but any feedback/help/advice would be much appreciated 🙂

Posted : 10/05/2020 2:49 pm
auxiliary
Estimable Member

Looks like an average person, not that recessed. Mewing should be able to help somewhat, especially training the hyoid musculature upwards should give you more definition in chin.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/05/2020 7:27 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

I had quite a similar starting point like you. Eyes with weak support, melted appearance. What helped me personally is keeping my teeth apart and engaging in chewing exercises. I started in 2017 at 31 years old. Have had decent progress in adding width to my face and increasing soft tissue support. Cheekbones grew to increase my facial width and ramus lengthened to balance this out. I bet you have a good skeleton hiding under there. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/05/2020 3:19 am
MB123

Thank you both that’s really encouraging to hear! 😁 I will update this thread every now and then with my progress. Obviously I know I will never have supermodel bone structure but improvements with my cheek flatness and having a more defined chin/jaw to give my face more balance would be nice!

Starting intermolar width = 31mm

Starting mew line measurement = 49mm 😩

Current routine includes: chewing falim gum, chin tucks, soft mewing with a bit of hard mewing and thumb pulling throughout the day

Biggest challenge to overcome is mouth breathing at night time - I tape my mouth before bed but I unconsciously remove it during the night, hopefully as mewing becomes more natural and my facial muscles become stronger this won’t be an issue 😊

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2020 2:34 pm
MB123

Also I wear a retainer at night time and I’ve read it’s better to stop wearing it so your palate has more room to expand, however I’m a bit hesitant to do this as I’m worried about my teeth relapsing especially as my mouth hangs open all night when I’m mouth breathing!😂

Considering investing in a myobrace so at least there’s some support for my dental arches while I sleep

Any thoughts or recommendations?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/05/2020 2:49 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

How long have you been wearing your retainer?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2020 4:12 pm
MB123

I had my braces removed in March so I’ve been wearing my retainer every night for the past few months, will that make a difference?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2020 5:48 pm
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@mb123 Are you using the wired retainer? I'd assume so, since the clear version would be plural. From my experience, the wired one doesn't relapse anywhere near as much because you can still close your mouth. Even if yours opens at night, at least it's not being held in an open bite like the clear retainers would do. Myobrace might do that as well, to a lesser degree, but that's just an assumption. Maybe you could try alternating the nights you wear your retainer and see if any relapse occurs?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2020 6:28 pm
MB123

@paperbag Thank you for your response and recommendations 😊 Ahh sorry I should’ve been clearer! I meant to say retainers, I wear those plastic aligners (Known as Essix) on my top and bottom teeth.

Since I’ve been mewing I’m noticing when I put these in at night the plastic aligner on my top teeth feels tighter. I’ve decided to get a permanent metal wire behind my top 4/6 teeth as per Dr Mew’s video on retainers so I can still expand my palate while keeping the main ‘smile teeth’ in place, he said it’s not good for your teeth to keep getting pushed back and forth like if you wobble a stake in the ground it gets loose!

I think I’m willing to accept some relapse and crowding in my teeth for the greater good of improved facial aesthetics with mewing (fingers crossed!🤞)

I’ve done more research on the Myobrace and some are saying it can cause facial lengthening as it holds your bite open so I think I’ll skip that one! 😂

Anyone have any feedback on appliances such as the Y expander that can be bought on bracesshop? Or perhaps a bow/facepulling headgear? Or would you say results can be achieved in adults by posture and correct myofunctional habits alone and to stop looking into removable devices?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2020 7:29 pm
Kwak76
Posted by: @eddiemoney

I had quite a similar starting point like you. Eyes with weak support, melted appearance. What helped me personally is keeping my teeth apart and engaging in chewing exercises. I started in 2017 at 31 years old. Have had decent progress in adding width to my face and increasing soft tissue support. Cheekbones grew to increase my facial width and ramus lengthened to balance this out. I bet you have a good skeleton hiding under there. 

Ramus bone can increase? How so?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/05/2020 11:48 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

@kwak76 maybe maxilla getting longer allows the mandible to come forward

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2020 4:35 am
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@mb123 You're welcome. I hadn't done much research into Myobrace but it's interesting that you found stories of facial lengthening, which is what I assumed because they look similar to Essix retainers. They're too bulky to properly close the jaws and if you were originally treated for an overjet, it is likely to re-open. Speaking from experience, as I had an overjet and was given Essix retainers for some reason. My teeth/bite looked so weird after only a few months, like a relapse + other shifting occurred. I eventually got the Hawley retainer, which helped but probably pushed my teeth further back. Good call on the permanent wire, that sounds like a decent compromise for mewing so soon after braces. IMO, it's those smile teeth that do most of the shifting.

You might want to wait for your teeth to settle down before pursuing expanders and face pulling devices. Doctors who treat with them seem to expand first and then use protraction equipment (or the other way around) so some of the previous movement can stabilize. Appliances are great for constant pressure and will do more than 24/7 conscious effort, but there's not much harm in seeing how far you can get without them at the beginning.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2020 6:24 pm
MB123

Thank you I’ll hold off on the devices for now! 🙂

I know it’s early days for me in terms of mewing so it’s probably just muscular changes that have happened so far but I got a compliment from a family member who hadn’t seen me in a few weeks today and she was shocked! I hadn’t noticed until I compared myself to my initial photo!

Wow this just emphasises the importance facial muscles and proper posture, I had been positioning my head and tongue incorrectly my whole life - no wonder my maxilla grew in the wrong direction 😂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2020 3:10 pm
PaperBag
Estimable Member

Yeah, I don't know if it's caused by lighting/angle changes or something but you do look better. Hard to tell why, but I'm not skilled at nitpicking photos. Your chin looks to have improved a great deal; any idea if you were tucking it in both photos? Are these only 9 days apart or did you start the thread with an old picture?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2020 10:12 pm