Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Lingual Frenectomy - Cutting a Tongue Tie  

RSS
Thomas22
Trusted Member

I had my tongue tie corrected today. 

I went to a traditional oral surgeon. He said that my case was mild and that I may see no benefit. 

It took just a few minutes in the chair, and it was largely painless. Being prodded with the syringe of the numbing agent was the most uncomfortable part. 

They used a laser, he said there’s no regrowth with the laser. The cuts cauterize instantly.

The laser also kills the nerve endings as it cuts, which makes it less painful than a scalpel.

Its sore now, but not dreadful. I think Tylenol would be enough to take the edge away. 

If there are any benefits I think they’ll only be visible long term. In my case, bone remodeling from better tongue posture, and an easier time pronouncing the letter S. 

I’ve read anecdotal reports, where people claimed their posture improved instantly. 

I think that might be true for me?

Posted : 08/01/2021 4:30 pm
greyham and Apollo liked
Thomas22
Trusted Member

My voice has changed. It sounds better. 

I assume the restricted tongue movement was preventing what should have been my normal speech. I was playing a piano with missing keys. 

My tongue is a little sore, and I think I need to learn the correct tongue motion to pronounce an S correctly.

But the surgery was certainly worth it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/01/2021 12:46 pm
Thomas22
Trusted Member

I think my default tongue position has changed. It’s shifted left. 

The left side of my face is underdeveloped. Since having the tongue tie cut, I’ve found that my tongue is resting against the left side of my upper jaw. 

I think the tongue tie was pulling my tongue to the right side of my face.

If I’m right, then my tongue is probably centered, correctly, for the first time in my life. And the pressure I feel on the left side is simply due to underdeveloped bone structure. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/01/2021 1:13 pm
pizzaman500

@thomas22 I just got my tongue tie corrected yesterday and I have the exact same observation! I can finally reach the left side of my palate which hangs lower due to underdevelopment. Starting to think my scoliosis is a result of this tongue tie asymmetry.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2021 12:53 pm
Thomas22 liked
toomer
Estimable Member

This is just such a fascinating area to me!  Watching Dr. Zaghi speak on this topic (he's probably the world leader on tongue tie release for adults) is just so fascinating...

@pizzaman500 - so glad to hear you have seen such noticeable results, and in just a few days!  Isn't that weird, how your voice can change like that?  You're actually the first I've heard to report that ... although one person said they felt they could sing better, but that could have also been due to her DNA treatment, she wasn't sure what to attribute it to.

Did your provider suggest doing any Myofunctional Therapy before the cut and then after?  It's interesting, because the common thought on this is yes ... you have to exercise the muscles before the cut, and then after the cut you have to keep exercising them to make sure it doesn't reattach.  My provider - who has been doing DNA for about 8 years now - said that's crap.  More specifically, he said "yeah, I fell for that line for a while - but it's not true."

It's always so hard to know who is accurate in this space, though.  I know that Dr. Zaghi emphasizes the Myofunctional Therapy part.

Also interesting, my guy has an oral surgeon referral he uses - a buddy he went to school with - and they use a scalpel, and then stitch it afterwards. He said it would be impossible to regrow the way his referral does it.  From what I know from a Zaghi-trained dentist I've spoken with, Zaghi also recommends cutting instead of lasers.  Not 100% of the time, but most of the time.  And then stitching up afterwards.

Two direct reports from contacts I know had it done were:  1) "can raise my arms up over my shoulder all the way for the first time since college 15 years ago" and then 2) "it felt like as he was cutting, I was getting a new spine".

Crazy stuff.  Thanks for sharing!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2021 1:39 pm
Thomas22 and Apollo liked
pizzaman500

It's still a bit early to speak definitely on the changes I experienced, but he's what I've noticed so far:

• Improved breathing. I can feel a reduction in turbulence in my airway, even when keeping my neck straight and tongue plastered to the roof of the mouth (and yes, that includes the back third).
  • Good posture feels natural. I don't feel like I'm ever forcing it anymore.
  • My back is no longer cracking. Before, every once in a while I would lean back and hear cracks from my mid-thoracic spine. No longer happening, maybe from improved posture.
  • Reduction in back pain. Previously I could not sit straight for more than 5 minutes without feeling tension / pain in my back. I can sit for much longer now. I am taking some Tylenol though so this one is TBD.
  • Obviously, crazy improvement in tongue mobility. I can reach my palate with ease, and touch the roof of my mouth with my tongue tip with mouth wide open!
  • I feel calmer. I don't think this is just placebo. I honestly just feel more relaxed and less anxious.

Still waiting on the sleep benefits. The pain was keeping me up last night so it's too early to tell.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2021 2:19 pm
Thomas22 and Apollo liked
Thomas22
Trusted Member
Posted by: @toomer

Did your provider suggest doing any Myofunctional Therapy before the cut and then after?  It's interesting, because the common thought on this is yes ... you have to exercise the muscles before the cut, and then after the cut you have to keep exercising them to make sure it doesn't reattach.  My provider - who has been doing DNA for about 8 years now - said that's crap.  More specifically, he said "yeah, I fell for that line for a while - but it's not true."

Dr. Bennett in Utah preaches myofunctional therapy, before and after cutting a tongue tie.

The surgeon I saw here said it just wouldn't regrow, and that I didn't need to do any exercises.

Do you have a tongue tie? Based on my immediate experience, I think even modest tongue ties have a profound effect on speech,  sleep, and facial development. It makes sense to get it cut as early as possible in your treatment.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2021 2:58 pm
Thomas22
Trusted Member
Posted by: @pizzaman500

Good posture feels natural. I don't feel like I'm ever forcing it anymore.

I think it improved my posture, but I don't trust my judgement. I could be wishing that into reality.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2021 2:59 pm
pizzaman500
Posted by: @thomas22
Posted by: @pizzaman500

Good posture feels natural. I don't feel like I'm ever forcing it anymore.

I think it improved my posture, but I don't trust my judgement. I could be wishing that into reality.

Does it feel easier to maintain good posture? I don't think mine is better than it used to be, but it feels almost effortless. And I haven't noticed any lapses throughout the day like I used to.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2021 3:10 pm
Thomas22
Trusted Member

@pizzaman500 I think it feels more natural. But again I don't trust my judgement.

It does feel like the back of my tongue is making contact with the roof of my mouth, unlike before, when just the first 2/3rds would.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2021 7:27 pm
toomer
Estimable Member
Posted by: @thomas22

Dr. Bennett in Utah preaches myofunctional therapy, before and after cutting a tongue tie.

The surgeon I saw here said it just wouldn't regrow, and that I didn't need to do any exercises.

Do you have a tongue tie? Based on my immediate experience, I think even modest tongue ties have a profound effect on speech,  sleep, and facial development. It makes sense to get it cut as early as possible in your treatment.

I do have a "mild" posterior tongue tie, based on assessments from both my current provider and Dr. Liao.  My current provider said the same thing as the surgeon you saw - cut it, don't worry.  So we might do that soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2021 10:16 pm
Thomas22
Trusted Member

@toomer I think I'm breathing more easily too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/01/2021 10:17 pm
Thomas22
Trusted Member

A white tissue grew over the wound within a day. It looks almost like cartalige. Pale white and nearly translucent  

I noticed this morning that it was tying my tongue down again, so I cut it. 

I can see where a scalpel and stitches would be superior now.

I do wonder if they cut enough. The thin frenulum is gone, but should my tongue have even more separation?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2021 1:04 pm
toomer
Estimable Member

@thomas22 Yikes.  Self-surgery?  Dude, just get back into the oral surgeon's office and have them look.  If you call them and sound mildly panicked and say "the doc said it won't re-attach, but it's re-attaching!" I bet they will squeeze you in for an assessment.

I suspect it's not cartilage, though.  If it is cartilage, you have just discovered a miraculous new technology that could be used to treat a whole bunch of patients with various cartilage tears or deficiencies in their body...

Also, even though your surgeon kind of wrote off the idea of doing myofunctional exercises ... it's not going to hurt you any, so I'd maybe start doing some anyway just in case he's wrong.  I know that @greyham has some entries on his blog about Myofunctional programs easy to follow at home, maybe you don't really need to see a Myofunctional therapist.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2021 5:37 pm
greyham liked
greyham

Yes @toomer, I’ve been doing these myofunctional therapy exercises for obstructive sleep apnea that I found on YouTube twice a day religiously.

Roger Price is now working with my provider and I’m having a consultation with him in a couple of weeks to see what he recommends too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2021 7:30 pm
Thomas22 liked
Thomas22
Trusted Member

@toomer I was probably eight the first time I performed self surgery. I had gravel embedded in my knee from a fall, and so I took a penknife and cut it out. 🙂 

In this case it was just gelatin like scab tissue. But I worried that it may turn into a scaffold for my frenulum to regrow on. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/01/2021 12:24 pm