Left side big, righ…

Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Left side big, right side flat

16 Posts
6 Users
2 Likes
mewtated
(@mewtated)
Topic starter

33 year old here…I heard about mewing a little over a month ago, and have been doing it 24/7, while awake and asleep. During this time, I feel like my standing posture (neck/head) has improved due to the chin tuck exercises. When I started, I had no idea that the face shape can change depending on your neck, head and tongue posture. I also didn’t even realize that the left side of my face is much bigger than the right side of my face. I don’t get how I never realized it until I started looking more into mewing. To describe it a little more, my left side seems wider but also a bit smushed vertically, while my right side is flatter and longer. Another thing I noticed is that the mandible on the left side seems to have a slightly more forward angle going towards the chin, while the right side looks longer and pointed at a more downward angle.

My top and bottom middle teeth do not line up. On the left bottom side, the first middle tooth, 2nd and 3rd are also angled slightly towards the right, causing the middle right bottom tooth to be pushed back into my mouth due to the force coming from the three teeth from the left. Not sure if that makes any sense…

Ever since I started mewing, I feel like I may have made my left side bigger than it already was, but I am not entirely sure. But it does seem that my masseters have gotten a bit bigger, because I now actually chew my food. It’s not the most accurate measurement, but the upper arch width is about 39 mm, measuring more towards the back. Another thing is that it feels like the muscles on my left side feel more developed than my right side. I definitely have some asymmetry going on here.

Lastly, if I line up the top and bottom left side teeth, the right side top and bottom only slightly touch, definitely not even on both side. It also feels like on the right side, my lower teeth (mandible) needs to shift back into my mouth to help them align to bite the top teeth. As if the teeth on the left are closer together when I bite, while the right side are further. Overall, it feels like the mandible on my right is position back more towards my neck where the joint is, while the left is more forward. Hope I explained that well..

I just wanted to make this post to see if anyone else has a similar story, or if anyone has any suggestions on what the best strategy would be here. I can provide more info if needed. Appreciate your time reading this.

Posted : 22/03/2019 6:26 pm
Remy
 Remy
(@remy)

I have exactly the same condition about right and left, I am 22 and I hope by developing the neck muscle such as SCM, traps, I will pull the right side of the mandible outward and correct the “flatness” of this side 

Did you find some interesting ideas since 2019 ? 

Thanks for sharing your experience

Posted : 25/12/2020 2:26 am
auxiliary
(@auxiliarus)

Posted by: @remy

I have exactly the same condition about right and left, I am 22 and I hope by developing the neck muscle such as SCM, traps, I will pull the right side of the mandible outward and correct the “flatness” of this side 

Did you find some interesting ideas since 2019 ? 

Thanks for sharing your experience

“and I hope by developing the neck muscle such as SCM, traps, I will pull the right side of the mandible outward and correct the “flatness” of this side”

Oh my god, come on… Dude, you can’t be seriously hoping for that, you will never be able to influence on side of your face by training your traps or your neck muscles, they don’t even connect to the face, they connect to the rear head or the spine.

Posted : 09/01/2021 1:50 pm
Remy
 Remy
(@remy)

@auxiliarus 

I’m french Maybe my English is bad, actually I’m pretty sure it works that way, SCM is attached to one side of the skull and his action is to tilt the head in order to bend and slightly rotate to the opposite side. By bending the head you create a naturally  stronger occlusion. On this side, SCM and platysma both are highly contracted. Platysma also works the same way by pulling one side of the gonion because attached to the mandible directly.

We can easily see that some people have a more “curve” side compared to the other which has a better eyebrow projection, cheekbone, lower gonial angle… the other,  the “weaker” side is simply oriented upward due to lack of strength and passive tension in the neck muscle and platysma. Furthermore those muscles and every other such as scalenes and traps are really less developed in my case. Something truly interesting is trying to contract platysma on one side compared to another. 

Posted : 09/01/2021 3:20 pm
auxiliary
(@auxiliarus)

@auxiliarus 

I’m french Maybe my English is bad, actually I’m pretty sure it works that way, SCM is attached to one side of the skull and his action is to tilt the head in order to bend and slightly rotate to the opposite side. By bending the head you create a naturally  stronger occlusion. On this side, SCM and platysma both are highly contracted. Platysma also works the same way by pulling one side of the gonion because attached to the mandible directly.

We can easily see that some people have a more “curve” side compared to the other which has a better eyebrow projection, cheekbone, lower gonial angle… the other,  the “weaker” side is simply oriented upward due to lack of strength and passive tension in the neck muscle and platysma. Furthermore those muscles and every other such as scalenes and traps are really less developed in my case. Something truly interesting is trying to contract platysma on one side compared to another. 

There might be micro-forces at work, but there will be nothing with enough leverage to achieve what you’re trying to do.

Posted : 09/01/2021 3:52 pm
Remy
 Remy
(@remy)

@auxiliarus This is the fundamental principle of erosion and Wolf Law : Light forces excerced by muscles on bone, over time… You know ? why are you saying this won’t be enough whereas it’s precisely the right thing according to litterature. Muscles of scapular belts and neck are supposed to influence the bending of the head 

Posted : 12/01/2021 9:31 am
auxiliary
(@auxiliarus)

@auxiliarus This is the fundamental principle of erosion and Wolf Law : Light forces excerced by muscles on bone, over time… You know ? why are you saying this won’t be enough whereas it’s precisely the right thing according to litterature. Muscles of scapular belts and neck are supposed to influence the bending of the head 

What is your plan exactly?

The SCM is attached to the mastoid process:

Mastoid process

SCM dual heads

Looking at this muscle’s position it seems like it’s not a postural muscle but a muscle that sometimes supports the head when you’re for example doing crunches.

You should read more literature on bone remodeling, most bone remodeling signalling happens at night when muscles are typically at low state of tension. Not only that but when you’re sleeping I doubt the SCM muscle is active at all since your head is resting.

Even if that was not the case, what benefit is there to pull the mastoid process down and inwards? This would theoretically narrow the whole face, not widen it.

The answer to your question is probably that one of your side is more expanded than the other, the tongue is an excellent expander and you should look into just mewing properly.

Posted : 12/01/2021 10:57 am
Remy
 Remy
(@remy)

Posted by: @auxiliarus

Mastoid process

SCM dual heads

Looking at this muscle’s position it seems like it’s not a postural muscle but a muscle that sometimes supports the head when you’re for example doing crunches.

You should read more literature on bone remodeling, most bone remodeling signalling happens at night when muscles are typically at low state of tension. Not only that but when you’re sleeping I doubt the SCM muscle is active at all since your head is resting.

Even if that was not the case, what benefit is there to pull the mastoid process down and inwards? This would theoretically narrow the whole face, not widen it.

The answer to your question is probably that one of your side is more expanded than the other, the tongue is an excellent expander and you should look into just mewing properly.

None of us are perfectly symmetric, I understand but some people are and it’s crazy how they look good and get atlhetic predispositions as they grow. But my point is when you have a good right and left balance in dental occlusion (basically the same teeth disposition) every components are affected this is the purpose of the soft block appliance placed on the molar and other orthodontic technics (but more in postural approach) also known by the Starecta method to correct inbalanced occlusion. 

Good occlusion can rectify muscles inbalances, but mostly prevent them, and not only in the neck, in the overall body. By improving posture (activation of the manducatory muscles especially temporalis, much more involved in posture than masseter).

But it’s a reciprocal process. If the arc of mandible on one side is less curved, more straight from the molar to the front teeth compared to the other (tranverse plane), the main cause is probably bad posture and poor/unilateral chewing habits, and in order to correct this, 2 main actions.

1) Imediately adopting good posture and chewing pattern, mewing, chin tuck, sleep position, in order to not worsen the case and operate the CCW rotation.

2) Workout the weaker side, not every muscles, the less developped one and mostly the one responsible for the tilt of the head and rotation, I include :

_ The SCM with a head harness, long sets according to the ROM of the muscle. To tilt the head to the most upward side.

_ The platysma, maybe the most important, in front of a mirror, few reps trying to pull the gonion downward. 

_ Some scalenes, because they slightly pull the column and if you have scoliosis predisposition it could be these one responsible for some naughty asymetries.

_ Then traps and Pectoralis Minor ; To a lesser degree. 

I agree with you concerning that there is no point training my right calves for curving my straight right mandible, but the ones near to…

Thanks for your answers

Posted : 12/01/2021 11:34 am
Sceriff and Sceriff reacted
auxiliary
(@auxiliarus)

Posted by: @auxiliarus

Mastoid process

SCM dual heads

None of us are perfectly symmetric, I understand but some people are and it’s crazy how they look good and get atlhetic predispositions as they grow. But my point is when you have a good right and left balance in dental occlusion (basically the same teeth disposition) every components are affected this is the purpose of the soft block appliance placed on the molar and other orthodontic technics (but more in postural approach) also known by the Starecta method to correct inbalanced occlusion. 

Good occlusion can rectify muscles inbalances, but mostly prevent them, and not only in the neck, in the overall body. By improving posture (activation of the manducatory muscles especially temporalis, much more involved in posture than masseter).

But it’s a reciprocal process. If the arc of mandible on one side is less curved, more straight from the molar to the front teeth compared to the other (tranverse plane), the main cause is probably bad posture and poor/unilateral chewing habits, and in order to correct this, 2 main actions.

1) Imediately adopting good posture and chewing pattern, mewing, chin tuck, sleep position, in order to not worsen the case and operate the CCW rotation.

2) Workout the weaker side, not every muscles, the less developped one and mostly the one responsible for the tilt of the head and rotation, I include :

_ The SCM with a head harness, long sets according to the ROM of the muscle. To tilt the head to the most upward side.

_ The platysma, maybe the most important, in front of a mirror, few reps trying to pull the gonion downward. 

_ Some scalenes, because they slightly pull the column and if you have scoliosis predisposition it could be these one responsible for some naughty asymetries.

I agree with you concerning that there is no point training my right calves for curving my straight right mandible, but the ones near to…

Thanks for your answers

“But my point is when you have a good right and left balance in dental occlusion (basically the same teeth disposition) every components are affected this is the purpose of the soft block appliance placed on the molar and other orthodontic technics (but more in postural approach) also known by the Starecta method to correct inbalanced occlusion.”

And no one argued otherwise.

“Good occlusion can rectify muscles inbalances, but mostly prevent them, and not only in the neck, in the overall body. By improving posture (activation of the manducatory muscles especially temporalis, much more involved in posture than masseter).”

I agree, occlusion has strong effect on posture.

“But it’s a reciprocal process”

Maybe, there are a lot of examples of beautiful actors with scoliosis so your argument is weak.

“1) Imediately adopting good posture and chewing pattern, mewing, chin tuck, sleep position, in order to not worsen the case and operate the CCW rotation.”

There’s no evidence that there ever occurs any type of CCW rotation, I’ve personally only experienced my lower maxilla remodeling forward and upwards, the maxilla itself wholly did not seem to rotate.

Either way there is no evidence for anything that you’re advising except for mewing. No one has ever documented improvement in face from improving posture. A lot of people over time have tried hardcore chewing and only documented negative effects from it. Chin tuck is unlikely to do squat. Sleeping position does have effects on the face but how would you change it…

“2) Workout the weaker side, not every muscles, the less developped one and mostly the one responsible for the tilt of the head and rotation, I include :

Thanks for your answers”

You got a nice routine for improving posture, but your claim that the platysma or the SCM will affect the mandible somehow just because you exercise those muscles is very weak and so far you haven’t given any compelling arguments as to how those muscles can affect the mandible.

To me it seems like you’re just hoping for something very desperately. The mandible is loose, there’s no point in trying to lower it, just open your mouth to lower it, the rear maxilla doesn’t follow does it? The mandible can move left and right and the rear maxilla doesn’t move with it does it?

Understand that it’s the upper face that controls where the lower face rests, not the other way around. If you want a wider face then increase your IMW and ICW through mewing and your face will for sure widen. If you have to improve occlusion then chewing on one side might help, but you have to be careful because chewing favors the rear occlusion coming upwards and backwards chewing causes the mandible to retrude because of lower teeth protrusion. Chewing also causes the teeth to get pushed into gums, thus decreasing gonial angle at the expense of facial fat compressing on your face.

Posted : 12/01/2021 12:51 pm
Remy
 Remy
(@remy)

@auxiliarus

Indeed, the wideness is about maxilla expansion first then mandible. But i’m not really talking about curving mandibular arc… It’s more about developing a weak side, less muscular, it’s about muscle.

Since good manducator muscles are responsible for CCW rotation, eyebrow projection, proeminent masseter, gonial angle, zygos… I clearly have more of these features on the left side with nice curve of lower teeth, strong SCM, huge platysma and longer clavicular segment by the way. At resting position, my head slightly bend to this side, about 3 to 5 mm, kind of natural asymetry but in my case worse. The force of gravity overtime made my chewing muscles pretty weak on the “highest” side.

I am still pretty sure that my routine have an effect on strenghten the weak side. Not bone in first place, but primary chewing muscles with the secondary features, then the bone I think according to biophysics. SCM will slightly bend my head and correct the alignment, my bite on right/ weak side will be stronger and occurs as horizontally as my left/strong side.

I don’t like chewing neither, my philosophy is posture, correcting asymetry and diet. 

Posted : 12/01/2021 4:57 pm
Remy
 Remy
(@remy)

@auxiliarus Does it make sense to you ?

Posted : 12/01/2021 4:58 pm
auxiliary
(@auxiliarus)

@auxiliarus

Indeed, the wideness is about maxilla expansion first then mandible. But i’m not really talking about curving mandibular arc… It’s more about developing a weak side, less muscular, it’s about muscle.

Since good manducator muscles are responsible for CCW rotation, eyebrow projection, proeminent masseter, gonial angle, zygos… I clearly have more of these features on the left side with nice curve of lower teeth, strong SCM, huge platysma and longer clavicular segment by the way. At resting position, my head slightly bend to this side, about 3 to 5 mm, kind of natural asymetry but in my case worse. The force of gravity overtime made my chewing muscles pretty weak on the “highest” side.

I am still pretty sure that my routine have an effect on strenghten the weak side. Not bone in first place, but primary chewing muscles with the secondary features, then the bone I think according to biophysics. SCM will slightly bend my head and correct the alignment, my bite on right/ weak side will be stronger and occurs as horizontally as my left/strong side.

I don’t like chewing neither, my philosophy is posture, correcting asymetry and diet. 

How do you know you didn’t first get asymmetry and then your posture followed? How do you know for sure your posture will affect your asymmetry when there are plenty of actors with posture abnormality yet good facial harmony?

Posted : 13/01/2021 9:25 am
Remy
 Remy
(@remy)

@auxiliarus

Good point, I will answer with what I know about this business.

Actors have money, they maybe don’t care or don’t have time like us to discuss about facial and body equilibrium, posture etc. This website like TGW are the holy graal for some of us who refuse to get surgery or too much invasive treatment in order to enhance our facial apparence. Actors wants curative treatment so they spend money in radical surgeries. It works ! Luckily. So they have pretty good looking facial or body features but “stuck” on poor posture and bone structure (for botox injection and things like that). Actors have visibility so they specifically ask for that their treatments can’t “fall apart”. But the others part of the population who gets surgery without thinking about postural education, the visual could look terrific. Think about the people who abused, or even not ! Just one surgery and they instantly look unnatural.

With all the inspiration on the web, I built something pretty interesting for correcting muscles asymmetry from the jaw and head. It’s a kind of personalised starecta method. I will make a post tomorrow morning cause I experienced this since 3 months and there are good results. If you are interested check the forum tomorrow morning.

Rémy

Posted : 14/01/2021 1:18 pm
auxiliary
(@auxiliarus)

@auxiliarus

Good point, I will answer with what I know about this business.

Actors have money, they maybe don’t care or don’t have time like us to discuss about facial and body equilibrium, posture etc. This website like TGW are the holy graal for some of us who refuse to get surgery or too much invasive treatment in order to enhance our facial apparence. Actors wants curative treatment so they spend money in radical surgeries. It works ! Luckily. So they have pretty good looking facial or body features but “stuck” on poor posture and bone structure (for botox injection and things like that). Actors have visibility so they specifically ask for that their treatments can’t “fall apart”. But the others part of the population who gets surgery without thinking about postural education, the visual could look terrific. Think about the people who abused, or even not ! Just one surgery and they instantly look unnatural.

With all the inspiration on the web, I built something pretty interesting for correcting muscles asymmetry from the jaw and head. It’s a kind of personalised starecta method. I will make a post tomorrow morning cause I experienced this since 3 months and there are good results. If you are interested check the forum tomorrow morning.

Rémy

This doesn’t make logical sense because actors don’t have money before they become popular and they usually don’t become popular if they’re ugly, especially females. Yet plenty of females with scoliosis who still look good in face and body, even before their fame. Of course once they get popular a lot of them do get botox, injections, take steroids, growth hormones, etc… especially men with jaw fillers.

And sure, I am interested, I will check the forum tomorrow.

Posted : 14/01/2021 2:43 pm
vplatt
(@vplatt)

I think the asymmetries result from the jaw being crooked, usually from a narrow palate and everything trying to squeeze in there. It seems like a big part of the solution is expanding the palate to make room for it all, including the tongue. Not convinced mewing is enough as an adult.

Posted : 13/04/2021 9:52 pm
jujuu
(@jujuu)

I have the exact same problem and it got worse by mewing. My problem is due to stiff and stretched muscules on left side of my body (neck,shoulder, arm, back) and that is due to a spine problem. My left shoulder is also rounded and looks lower than my right shoulder. As a result it caused to my face looking from the right side my face looks well built with good cheekbones and chin and elegant but from the left it looks heavy and rough. Therefore I stopped mewing and trying thumbpulling.  I take chiropractic therapy for my spine and find it very effective.

Posted : 30/04/2021 2:16 pm

THE GREAT WORK