NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Jaw clicking/popping  

RSS
Community Lurker

Hi, if i'm not mistaken it's advocated to both chew hard gum and mew (instead of just doing mewing), so as a result, i tried towel chewing considering i don't have any chewing gum available at the moment. While i was chewing and biting on it with sometimes some pretty strong force, i noticed that the right side of my jaw was making a clicking/popping noise accompanied with a weird moving sensation in that side (like something was popping). Why is this? Is this problematic? And lastly, what should i do about it, if it is indeed a problem?

It was my first time doing this so that might have something to do with it. I also can't vividly remember this happening to me when i normally eat food, although my regular diet consists mostly soft food with just some exceptions like apples and meat (but with these foods i can't remember any of this occuring).

Posted : 30/11/2018 5:33 am
SweetLucifer

I have this problem as well, I'd like to know what causes it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/12/2018 11:59 pm
AlphaMinus
Estimable Member

Clicking and popping while chewing is a TMD symptom, and probably a sign that your mandible is retruded. If you stick your fingers in your ears and move your jaw up and down, do you feel the bone movement in your ears? This is a sign that the mandible is too far back. Also, you may find that if you jut your lower jaw even just a little bit, the clicking stops. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/12/2018 1:55 am
Community Lurker
Posted by: AlphaMinus

Clicking and popping while chewing is a TMD symptom, and probably a sign that your mandible is retruded. If you stick your fingers in your ears and move your jaw up and down, do you feel the bone movement in your ears? This is a sign that the mandible is too far back. Also, you may find that if you jut your lower jaw even just a little bit, the clicking stops. 

Ok, i checked this and i do feel my bones moving a slight bit when i do what you described, and i suspect that my mandible is only slightly retruded. But anyways, how do i treat this? Will mewing resolve this over time? Should i keep towel chewing? Lastly what is the cause of a retruded mandible?

Thanks for the response.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/01/2019 1:11 pm
Posted by: AlphaMinus

Hey do you have any links/sources of any pages/healthcare professionals or whatever explaining the bone movement in the ear as a symptome of a retruded mandible in a bit more detail? I have exactly what you describe, and would love to find more info on what can be done about it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/03/2019 4:40 pm
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

I would chew gum instead of this towel chewing. Just seems like the natural chewing motion would be better for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/03/2019 7:25 pm