Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

I think I have some pretty compelling results, pictures attached.  

RSS
sarahlpatt

Long time lurker here, so by way of introduction, prior to a few weeks ago I was aware of mewing but I didn't think it really did much. However, I was/am unhappy with my side profile and how asymmetrical my face was, especially my eyes. I first noticed around age 22 that my right eye was significantly higher than my left eye. Like, they were basically stacked. I knew enough to know that my maxilla was the problem but I didn't know what I should have been doing about it. I had hoped using invisible aligners to correct my crowded teeth might help but it really didn't do much after I completed it when I was 23. I am currently 26. The internet led me here around early March of this year. Suddenly everything started making sense: I was a notorious finger sucker as a child, so of course my teeth grew in crowded and I never learned proper oral posture. I was also very self-conscious about my height growing up, so I slouched a lot giving me forward head.

I started by wearing an Amazon myobrace dupe to bed at night, which was really helpful in the beginning because it forced my tongue into a mewing position while I slept, which made mewing during the day a lot easier, since I didn't have enough palate space to comfortably fit my tongue. I soft mew as much as possible in my day to day. After reading more on here, I've added face-pulling to the equation. Today I decided it might be a good idea to take some pictures to check my own progress, so made a little setup in my kitchen where my phone is completely perpendicular and at eye-level, and I press my hip bones against my counter so I know I can take pictures at the exact same angle and position.

After that, I was looking at my front-facing photo and thought my eyes looked more symmetrical. I thought, what the hell, let me go back in my camera roll and see if I have any photos where I'm looking straight at the camera at eye level and put them on top of each other to see. Lo and behold, I found one and my right eye definitely moved. I've attached both of the originals and my morph, please do not judge the quarantine look I'm rocking. I used my left iris as my reference/anchor point and you can pretty clearly see that, while my left eye looks the exact same, my right eye looks blurry because it moved! This is honestly so exciting for me and really encouraging. I feel like I read a lot of posts here where people despair about not seeing progress and how there's no point doing anything except surgery, but just look!

The one in the black tank top is from almost exactly a year ago, the one in the Faygo shirt is from today (lol.)

Posted : 18/05/2020 2:17 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

Hello, thanks for posting your progress. I am trying but I can't see any obvious asymmetry (thus improvement) in either your before or after pics. I think it's probably because of the poor lighting in the after pic, but I could be wrong.

Posted by: @sarahlpatt

I started by wearing an Amazon myobrace dupe to bed at night, which was really helpful in the beginning because it forced my tongue into a mewing position while I slept, which made mewing during the day a lot easier, since I didn't have enough palate space to comfortably fit my tongue.

For how long did you wear the myobrace? Did it engage your posterior third against the palate as well?

Did you take any measurements by the way? Like IMW, Mew Indicator Line, etc.? That's another good way of checking progress.

Edit: Oh, just zoomed in. There seems to be an improvement, good job.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 4:00 pm
sarahlpatt

@azrael No worries! I know the after photo is awful but there's only one place in my apartment that I can use as a consistent setup and in the mornings there's so much sun coming in the skylight and back windows, it's impossible to get decent lighting. I wasn't planning on sharing them at first, so I didn't really care how underlit it is, but I thought this was worth a post. It's subtle, but if you zoom in on the eyes I think you can definitely see that there was movement.

I'm still wearing it. I started wearing it consistently I think in mid-February, early March? It does engage my back 3rd, but that's my most challenging area, especially on the right side. I still can't quite comfortably fit my tongue on the roof of my mouth unassisted. If I flatten it out it basically fits on the left, but spills out on my right side, so I'm making sure to concentrate there when I face pull. But the myobrace sort of forces the tip of your tongue slightly down, so the back is kind of forced up. This was really helpful in the beginning because I physically could not mew without a device and it got me to the point where now I can do both. I wear it every night, so about 8-9 hours a day. I had not taken any measurements prior to today, when I figured I should start tracking so I'm planning to do a Mew Indicator measurement later. I'm unfamiliar with IWF.

edit: I just did the Mew Indicator, got 45 mm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 4:33 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

I'm still wearing it. I started wearing it consistently I think in mid-February, early March? It does engage my back 3rd, but that's my most challenging area, especially on the right side. I still can't quite comfortably fit my tongue on the roof of my mouth unassisted. If I flatten it out it basically fits on the left, but spills out on my right side, so I'm making sure to concentrate there when I face pull. But the myobrace sort of forces the tip of your tongue slightly down, so the back is kind of forced up. This was really helpful in the beginning because I physically could not mew without a device and it got me to the point where now I can do both. I wear it every night, so about 8-9 hours a day.

Oh, okay. Thanks for replying.

I had not taken any measurements prior to today, when I figured I should start tracking so I'm planning to do a Mew Indicator measurement later. I'm unfamiliar with IWF.

Inter-molar width (IMW) is especially useful since we can track our palatal expansion with it. There's a good method of measuring it in this forum, you should try looking the thread up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 5:25 pm
sarahlpatt
Posted by: @azrael
Inter-molar width (IMW) is especially useful since we can track our palatal expansion with it. There's a good method of measuring it in this forum, you should try looking the thread up.

Ahhh, see I know what IMW is, I just read too fast apparently. I just did a measurement and got 40 mm.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/05/2020 5:49 pm
moemoe

There's indeed a slight change to the eye position. 👍 

M.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2020 3:50 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member

There's too much difference in distance of head to camera in between/afters, you should try to make a picture where your head and body are as big on the after pictures as on the before pictures.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2020 3:09 pm
PaperBag liked
PaperBag
Estimable Member

The after photos are a bit hard to compare for reasons auxiliary mentioned above, but it does look like your asymmetry improved.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2020 10:15 pm
sarahlpatt

@auxiliarus I believe I was a similar distance away in both, actually. The before was taken with an actual digital camera, the second one is on my phone so I believe that should account for my comparative size in each, but of course, some skepticism is healthy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/05/2020 10:48 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

The before was taken with an actual digital camera, the second one is on my phone so I believe that should account for my comparative size in each, but of course, some skepticism is healthy.

You should always take progress pics with the same camera/phone. Different devices have different amounts of lens distortion and focal lengths so this improvement we are seeing probably could be a result from such variance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2020 4:30 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus I believe I was a similar distance away in both, actually. The before was taken with an actual digital camera, the second one is on my phone so I believe that should account for my comparative size in each, but of course, some skepticism is healthy.

Is there a chance you can take it with a digital camera as well and in the same lightning? By the way I'm not being skeptic, I'm not trying to say you didn't have changes, in fact I'd say that the worse picture quality in your after picture makes your changes less prominent.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2020 7:18 am
sarahlpatt

@auxiliarus @Azrael fair enough, I'll try and find my camera cord so I can take a better picture in similar lighting. I've since moved so I can't recreate it exactly, but I;ll try to get as close as I can.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2020 9:41 pm
Crate and auxiliary liked
heineken

On the after picture the head is slightly rotated to the right (your left side). Can be clearly seen because the small bump on your chin is not in the perfect center of your neck, like on the before pictures.

Also the shoulders are on different level on the after pic, whereas on the previous pics the shoulders are on same level.

That plus as mentioned above different distance to the camera, make it hard to compare properly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/05/2020 6:24 pm
dm222
Trusted Member

you look way more attractive in the after, but its more about hair, skin, clothes, etc...

if also lost some fat in the face, which could be weight loss or just the mewing, and better muscle tone in the face, but this is like 30% of all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/05/2020 7:02 pm