Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

I feel like swallowing all the time when I have my tongue against the roof of my mouth. What's your experience? Tips?  

RSS
Jelly
Eminent Member

Only a week ago or so have I started to really press my whole tongue against the palate and not just the front and lightly. But when I do so, I have the constant urge (need?) to swallow. Doesn't seem normal? What could be the cause? And what to do about it? It's very annoying. 

Posted : 07/08/2019 8:36 am
Roflcopters
Trusted Member

Others also report this and yawning.

Just continue doing it and mewing.  Its been a few months for me and i feel like only now ive really understood mewing/body posture and what an actual correct suction hold is. 

Sometimes you just have to practice to understand things, reading someones explanation isnt enough.

Even tho theres baseline rules for mewing, like the suction at the back using the palatoglossus and strap muscles, everyone is different. Whats most effective for you probably isnt for me, even tho the principles are the same.

Like i Said, just keep doing it and add cervical posture to it. Some people effortlessly manage to do it others not really.

It may sound like a fufu lame unicorn thing but mewing is going to make you aware of your body in a way you probably never thought would be possible.

Be aware of how your cervical spine responds to the forces you make with the tongue.

If that swallowing pattern youre making doesnt promote spinal alignment youre not mewing correctly. Either you lack alot of space and wont be able to do it or you have good enough Room for the tongue but the technique isnt good. 

A proper suction hold/mewing should feel like something withon pushes your occiput up and back AND the mandible forward and up. You should feel a soft but stable enough up and forward pressure on the palate. Breathing from your diaphgram, chest out and shoulders relaxed and contracting your lower ABS and pélvis while mewing should give you an idea of what correct mewing is. When you align your body well the tongue usually sits where its supposed to be without effort.

Experiment with chin tucking. Do it properly tho! chin tucking is all about driving the occiput up in order to elongate the spine. You should feel a Stretch while doing it. People only focus on bringing the chin to their chest, which is still good but miles away from what a correct chin tuck is. Chin down = pressure on the front palate, occipital drive up and back = pressure on the anterior back of the palate.

I advise against hard mewing, push swallowing, facepulling because people with small and vaulted palates can literally be pushing their palates even further into the skull. That Will contribute to more assymetries and worse breathing. I honestly think hard mewing is a pathology and not natural at all. People need to be patient.

Mewing isnt for everyone, if you lack too much space on the upper arch you literally cant do it properly. Just get space with an appliance. If youre under a certain IMW all youre going to be doing is underoxygenating urself, wearing down your gums and tipping teeth. Its like going for a marathon without training. 

Just browse older threads here on the forum. Theres really alot of awsome information.

The more you inform yourself the more itll make sense and you improve.

But again, 

If you lack too much space on the upper arch and your body posture os bad, dont focus on mewing. Focus on body posture and get an appliance thatll Grant you space so you can properly Mew.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2019 12:28 pm
Usum liked
bd123
Posted by: @roflcopters

If youre under a certain IMW all youre going to be doing is underoxygenating urself, wearing down your gums and tipping teeth. Its like going for a marathon without training. 

When you saw this, are you talking about this in regards to facepulling?

Also, what do you think about this thumb pulling method.

Its on this website and it shows the technique at the end of the page. Apparently it worked on her daughter.

Here:

http://www.debugyourhealth.com/orthodontics-and-cranial-structure/#What-Should-Our-Face-Look-Like

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/08/2019 4:30 pm
Usum
 Usum
Posted by: @roflcopters

A proper suction hold/mewing should feel like something withon pushes your occiput up and back AND the mandible forward and up. 

Experiment with chin tucking. Do it properly tho! chin tucking is all about driving the occiput up in order to elongate the spine. You should feel a Stretch while doing it.

It's reassuring as most feelings I have had are in the occiput region and I was wondering if I was doing it wrong !

I often experience cracks at the base of the occiput too (where the spine is attached) even though I am not putting pressure onto the tongue.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/08/2019 7:06 am
Jelly
Eminent Member

A very late thanks guys. 

I think the reason I felt like swallowing is because I have too little space in my mouth which makes the back of the tongue touch the uvula. Which is weird, because I can't even lift up the back of the tongue, but maybe I could back then by trying really hard. It can make the frenum more flexible and thus the tongue more mobile. 

That or I just had to get used it, because I don't have the swallowing sensation anymore.

I can't properly mew. I need palatal expansion and then tongue tie release. And for the palatal expansion I might need bone grafts and gum flap operation. And I can't even find providers in my country ugh. Let alone a pot of gold to afford all of it.

#endofrant

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/12/2019 1:27 pm