Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

How to get a facial upswing?  

RSS
Alvik

Backstory: 

Moutbreathing my whole life got braces at 16 with 2 premolar extractions. Pretty sure made my face worse. 

Posted : 09/01/2020 4:20 am
Helpmepls86

mewing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2020 2:23 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

Hey, I think that I saw your YouTube video. It sounded there that you had a good understanding of mewing already, but the gist of it is:

• Keep your tongue suctioned to the palate when at rest. Rely on suction - not just raw pushing force - and make sure that the tongue is spread across the entire palate, from just slightly behind the front teeth all the way to the soft palate. You may find that raising your hyoid a bit (not to the point that it closes the airway) helps with keeping the tongue up. The tongue should naturally rest within your upper arch without a lot of effort, but if you have a narrow palate, it may necessary to shove your tongue between your teeth to encourage some expansion.
  • Maintain a good lip seal when at rest. Your lips shouldn't simply be pressed together, they should be gently suctioned together, and against your front teeth (again: gently). Avoid using the mentalis (chin muscle) to close your mouth (it should never be flexed when at rest). When you're doing it right, you should feel a subtle vacuum in your lips and cheeks.
  • Keep your teeth either slightly apart, or gently together. There's been some debate on here lately about which method is best, and I seem to be the minority in preferring to keep my teeth together, but I think that it may depend on the person and their form of CFD. I had been a mouth-breather like you, and I find that keeping my teeth closed is a welcome change from letting my jaws slack. If you're prone to clenching, however, it's probably safer to keep your teeth slightly together. See what works for you.
  • Maintain a good neck and spinal posture. Having a pelvic tilt can give you an illusion of having a straight neck, so don't just focus on the neck: make sure that your entire spine is properly aligned. @progress made some good posts regarding posture. What I found helped me was raising the height of my monitor. I use the computer frequently, and having its top frame positioned slightly above eye level (so that its center is at eye level) ensures that I don't slouch as often.
  • Chew your food thoroughly, attempting to use all of your teeth.
  • Swallow with the push-swallow.
  • Ensure that you don't mouth-breathe, drool, or allow your tongue to drop during sleep (this is especially where tongue suction proves itself superior to tongue pushing, because you can't sleep and keep your tongue muscles engaged). I think that a lot of users here relapse on their progress during sleep, so it's important to figure this out. You may tape your mouth to prevent mouth-breathing during sleep, if you can't unlearn it naturally yet, and the best sleeping posture seems to be lying on the side, using your arm as a pillow. It seems that people struggle with sleeping this way, but alternative solutions have been discussed on the forum here - just search around.
  • Breathe with your stomach. This may not be directly related to mewing, but I find that breathing deeply and engaging my diaphragm in the act is much more satisfying than taking shallow breaths with only the upper chest.

In regard to the post title, I disagree with Dr. Mew that "upswing" is the appropriate terminology to use, because I think that "downward-growth" is just an effect produced when a face has completed its vertical growth, but has lagged behind in its forward growth. In that sense, I agree with TGW here that what we really need is not just a shifting and rotation of bones, but a way to signal to the body to resume growth at the sutures. There's been some talk on the forum about this - just look through recent posts.

Good luck!

By the way, how old are you now?

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/02/2020 3:26 pm