Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

how to correct facial asymmetry  

RSS
themilkmanc

The right side of my face is far more developed than my left. My left side's cheekbones are more recessed, I have a less prominent jawline, and the buccinator muscles are less atrophied as well. How do I correct this? I've been trying to mew more on my left side but it seems so much harder, and when I try to mew "normally" I feel that I am putting more pressure on the right side. Thanks

Posted : 07/10/2018 11:44 pm
Apollo
Reputable Member
Posted by: Apollo

I just push up and forward with my tongue and hope that the asymmetries work themselves out. I guess I assume that the tongue will automatically exert more force on the areas farthest down and back and that expansion will be easier to induce in the areas where it is necessary. Look to the example of the FAGGA device. The springs on both sides of the arch are set to exert the same force but often a larger gap opens up on one side of the mouth than the other. I think this reflects how the "crushed box" of the maxilla becomes more symmetric as it expands back to its proper dimensions.

https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/my-case-please-help/#

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/10/2018 11:55 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

I just push up and forward with my tongue and hope that the asymmetries work themselves out. I guess I assume that the tongue will automatically exert more force on the areas farthest down and back and that expansion will be easier to induce in the areas where it is necessary. Look to the example of the FAGGA device. The springs on both sides of the arch are set to exert the same force but often a larger gap opens up on one side of the mouth than the other. I think this reflects how the "crushed box" of the maxilla becomes more symmetric as it expands back to its proper dimensions.

https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/my-case-please-help/#

I interpret this as such. Pushing the top part of the flattened box will cause the rest of the asymmetries to fix themselves as the roof is responsible for the rest of the structure collapsing. 

My asymmetries have improved little by little.  What helps me is seeing if my tongue covers my palate to be lined up evenly with my teeth , making sure one side isn't favored over the other. This has been helpful. At the moment this means the tip of the tongue  isn't behind the middle of my central incisors but rather to the left of them. So this means that even though it doesn't "appear" symmetrical the forces along the maxilla are even since it lines up perfectly with the edge of the palate. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/10/2018 2:35 pm
AR10 and Angelina liked
AR10
 AR10

@eddiemoney where you able to fix your assymetry? Will chewing on the weaker side help? I have the same problem and haven't found a solution yet.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2020 9:48 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

@ar10I have an anterior open bite on my right side which is becoming less noticeable very slowly

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/05/2020 4:34 pm
AR10
 AR10

@eddiemoney i have the exact same situation. What techniques are you doing to correct it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/05/2020 9:55 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

@ar10 I have been chewing on all sides with all types of movement patterns. Forward, backward, clockwise, counterclockwise. But specifically I am experimenting with focused gum chewing on my right side with incisors, canines, and premolars. I had never chewed on that part of my mouth before so I am wondering if that's why the open bite is there. I used to chew exclusively on right molars and that's it. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/05/2020 2:58 pm
AR10 liked