Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

How badly recessed am I?  

RSS
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

Hello. I'm new here but I first learned about proper oral posture about two years ago. I only recently started taking photos and measuring so I'm not sure how much progress I've made if any by proper tongue posture alone since I've first started. I'm a 31 year old female and currently have a mew indicator line of 45mm. When I was young I had a mouth of extremely crowded teeth and had multiple teeth pulled and wore braces for 3 years. I plan on hard mewing (pushing really hard with my tongue) and I plan to keep much better track from now on. I just learned of the mew indicator line today so am wondering, how bad is a 45mm mew line? Is it about as recessed as it gets? I've always known I'm not model material though 45mm seems like a lot.. Also how many mm can I hope to reduce through just hard mewing alone?

Thank you.

Posted : 14/01/2019 5:54 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member
When I “Mewed”, my indicator line 

actually lengthened.  I would not recommend DIY.  Consults are typically free.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2019 6:49 pm
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

Already had a consultation. A palate expander was recommended but I can't afford one nor do I think it's necessary if the mouth is already equipped with a palate expander (the tongue). 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/01/2019 8:51 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Interesting thoughts.  I mean... it's up to you.  Keep us updated.  Pressure can apply counter pressure and cause curve of spee.  It also can shorten face and give huge cheekbones (in my case).  Don't clench your teeth together ever.  I don't know what else advice to give.  I will say that calling around and there are different prices/tratment options.  I think sometimes more consults can pay for themselves... learn a lot.. comparison shop.  Like you said... the tongue can do stuff.  I would't personally apply pressure.  Also, my face shortened a bit and I don't like it.  My incisors lifted with Mewing.  $ is a thing here, too.  I am doing some teeth pulling.  Pushing 40.  I am juat going to try & fix it

This post was modified 9 months ago 2 times by darkindigo
ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2019 1:47 am
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

Never heard of curve of spee until now.. would an increased curve make it more difficult for the upper and lower teeth to completely contact each other? Also if applying upward pressure could shorten the face, do you think mainly applying forward pressure would help to just push the maxilla outwards? Braces didn't have the effect of giving me a long face though it did cause some facial asymmetry. So far I've noticed less asymmetry though I'm not sure if my maxilla has moved forward at all yet since I haven't been measuring until now.

The palate expanders the professionals recommend seem to do the same thing the tongue does, only it creates gaps in the teeth over time. To me, it seemed to make more sense to just use the tongue to put pressure on the palate rather than the teeth so the maxilla receives pressure and not just the individual teeth. I also just really don't trust anyone with an occupation that involves the teeth at this point considering what orthodontists did to my mouth.. so I think I'm just going to try to fix this on my own.. but carefully. Thank you for the advice. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2019 11:18 am
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Please Login or Register