Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Facial Changes with Homeoblock (Time-lapse Video)  

RSS
Thomas22
Trusted Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYJBkX9FTLQ

I found this interesting.

It's a video from 2014 that shows facial changes in patients faces after using the Homeoblock.

Posted : 18/04/2020 7:50 pm
mr.mewing
Estimable Member

interesting

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/04/2020 6:21 am
eternally12

Dr Belfor actually has a new lecture on YouTube too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK7Oio_0TCI  

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/04/2020 6:23 am
Thomas22 liked
Thomas22
Trusted Member

@eternally12

https://vimeo.com/232885165

Advance to 10:10, there's a sequence showing Maxilla upswing.

-

https://vimeo.com/232913827https://vimeo.com/232913827

He talks about tooth tipping. He explains that because the forces are lower, and the device isn't 24/7, that it doesn't tip teeth. The force is just enough to generate bone growth, but no more.

This presentation is interesting because it's geared towards dentists, and he goes into mechanical details.

At one point (1:08:00) he shows a scan of a patient, and measures 4.4mm of zygomatic growth (2.2 a side). 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/04/2020 8:39 pm
toomer
Trusted Member
Posted by: @thomas22

He talks about tooth tipping. He explains that because the forces are lower, and the device isn't 24/7, that it doesn't tip teeth. The force is just enough to generate bone growth, but no more.

This presentation is interesting because it's geared towards dentists, and he goes into mechanical details.

At one point (1:08:00) he shows a scan of a patient, and measures 4.4mm of zygomatic growth (2.2 a side). 

Thanks for posting the video!

Regarding tooth tipping - it's certainly something you hear about from time to time, even with Homeoblock/DNA appliances.  In fact, here's a recent patient update blog that another member sent me a link to: 

https://scottgetsmouthy.wordpress.com/2020/04/28/still-expanding-but-with-tons-of-set-backs/

My DNA dentist (whom I've not actually started the DNA process with yet) says that my lower teeth are already tipping a bit inwards anyway, so I suppose some tipping might not be bad.  But what I've never been able to figure out is -- if teeth tipping does start to happen, is this an irrevocable process?  If there's minor tipping in the process of widening the arches ... once that process is done, could regular orthodontics fix some of that up afterwards?

I've just never been clear on whether tooth tipping is a "well now your tooth is going to fall out of your head and there's nothing we can do about it" situation, or just something that is significant - but there are courses of action to address it?

Also - another question occurred to me.  Dr. Belfor make the point in the Homeoblock video that it doesn't come in contact with the roof of your mouth.  Are you finding that to be true with your DNA Appliance?  Given that they both started with the same idea, I'm wondering if that part of the dynamic is the same.

I'm not quite sure I believe Dr. Belfor's claim of the "negative pressure" being what causes - at least as he claims - the growth at the palatal suture.  But if they both are the same, then I suppose DNA would say that's the reason why.

Of course, none of the oral surgeons or orthodontists believe that is actually possible - but I guess they are assuming the growth mechanism is a typical acrylic expander putting pressure on the sides of the mouth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 1:42 pm
Thomas22
Trusted Member

@toomer

"tipping"

I assume Belfor would say they were wearing it for too long, and or, advancing it too quickly?

I don't know.

"I've just never been clear on whether tooth tipping is a "well now your tooth is going to fall out of your head and there's nothing we can do about it" situation, or just something that is significant - but there are courses of action to address it?"

If it disfigured your bite, I can see it being a problem. I just assumed it was considered a form of treatment failure. Ie, rather than growing the jaw, you simply pushed the teeth.

"Dr. Belfor make the point in the Homeoblock video that it doesn't come in contact with the roof of your mouth.  Are you finding that to be true with your DNA Appliance?  Given that they both started with the same idea, I'm wondering if that part of the dynamic is the same."

I don't think mine touches at all, it doesn't feel like it does.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 11:48 pm
eternally12

@thomas22

Thanks for sharing these! I’ve finally managed to get around to watching them in full...I didn’t think to look on Vimeo for videos. 

It’s interesting how Dr Belfor seems to advocate slower turning of the appliance compared to Dr Singh. I wonder if it really does make much of a difference - the Mews seem to think turning at the semi-rapid rate has the best results. Although from this presentation the rate of expansion with these appliances doesn’t seem to matter too much - it seems like it just depends more on the skill of the practitioner and compliance of the patient. 

Regarding tooth tipping, I believe the issue is if the teeth are tipped too far then they become unstable in the bone and may be at risk of early bone loss/falling out easier as we age. Not to mention the constant to and fro of teeth from certain mechanical appliances would significantly weaken the roots, I imagine. This is definitely the danger of having multiple orthodontic treatments. I believe the Mews actually found that during their treatments, actually encouraging patients to chew more each day seemed to prevent tooth tipping and encourages new bone growth. I imagine this is why certain vibration devices seem to be effective when helping move teeth and speed up treatments.

Actually, watching Dr Belfor’s videos has made me wish I had a unilateral bite block on my DNA appliance funnily enough 😆 I hope having it on both sides doesn’t impede any of my expansion. 

I don’t think my acrylic is in contact with the roof of my mouth either - at least not a majority of it. When my tongue and jaw are relaxed it actually seems to have a good amount of suction which I believe is meant to help drop down the palate over time, thus opening up the sinuses. I can believe this as my nasal breathing seems to feel a lot clearer when I feel a slight degree of suction pressure in my mouth. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2020 9:14 am
Thomas22 liked