Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Downside of Mouth Taping (2 months)  

RSS
Colette
Eminent Member

Check me if you think this is out of the question, 

BUT

I have been mouth taping for 2 months at night

The good part is during the day I feel more rested, I also breath through my nose easier

The bad part is 1) Taping your mouth shut does NOT have any effect on lip seal. (so if tape slips, my mouth opens ever so slightly)

2) Taping your mouth shut does not keep your teeth together 

Issue: Since I have a tongue thrust, my tongue is pushing straight against my upper teeth, (I believe I see evidence of that)

If I don't tape my mouth shut it just goes to the bottom of my mouth; so this mouth taping altered my face a little negatively I think, but the sleep benefits are unparalleled 

Who has had experience with gaining their lip seal? What exercises did you do??

Posted : 23/10/2020 10:34 am
macbeth liked
toomer
Trusted Member

If you have tongue thrust, have you been checked for TMJ, bruxism, or sleep apnea?  IIRC, tongue thrust is a symptom of a larger problem - usually airway related.  Bruxism is the same ... your body isn't grinding your teeth because it thinks that's a good thing to do, it's grinding your teeth because it's trying to help you get your airway back open.

For lip tape, I use the Woody Knows - because I prefer to have the ability to breathe through my mouth a little bit if I need to.  But if you want something that will create a much more significant seal, you could try the Somnifix strips.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2020 2:33 pm
Colette
Eminent Member

@toomer Thanks toomer! I don't grind my teeth or have any symptoms of TMJ as far as I know. I do have a deviated septum, but mostly my tongue will fall to the back of my throat.

I use a good surgical tape, I wake up feeling really rested and enjoy that part of it

What I meant by lip seal is do you know any exercises to increase lip seal throughout the day?

Thanks! 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2020 8:57 pm
taborgreat

@aramisx I use a stretch from from of Mike mews videos. I think it’s called the (granny?) stretch, idk. But basically, you open your jaw like your yawning, while simultaneously pulling your lips over your teeth. Focus more on stretching down the upper one. I’ve been doing it about twice a day, and I always feel a very good feeling right after tingling through my lips. Be careful though, because if you do it too much you can cut into your lips with your teeth. 

couldn’t find mikes vid, but this video includes it plus some other good ones.

https://m.youtube.com/watch/4An54hCSQoc

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/10/2020 3:36 pm
Colette liked
Colette
Eminent Member

@taborgreat thank you, tabor! I appreciate that. I hope your lips are ok from doing it too much haha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/10/2020 4:57 pm