Double-MSE treatmen…

Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Double-MSE treatment?

2 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
radwerty
(@radwerty)
Topic starter

Hi guys,

I am a 22-year-old guy looking for ways to improve the function and aesthetics of my face, teeth, tongue, and whatnot. I was born with a narrow, high-arched palate and unfortunately, no dentist ever told me that this was even a problem, not to mention that it’s not only an aesthetical but a functional one as well. I also was snoring incredibly loudly and waking up tired all the time. I even got a septoplasty due to a deviated septum, and it did reduce my symptoms, but it didn’t solve my problems. Once it dawned on me that the reason behind my mouth breathing and constantly stuffy nose and unreliably small airway volume is due to CFD, I began seeking professional help. I came across an airway and function-focused orthodontist, who I’ve had my first consult with, and she told me that MSE would be a really good option at increasing nasal volume and matching up the maxillary width with the mandibular. However, she told me that I would probably need at least two MSE appliances installed sequentially, because my intermolar width is only 28mm, and we should expand it to around 43 millimeters. That is, 15mm of expansion. Then, in the meantime to use a facemask to protract the maxilla up and forward

s, while simultaneously using braces and a splint to correct my TMJ asymmetry. 

My question is, do anyone of you have experience with double-MSE treatment, know how is relapse going to be avoided during the switching of the MSE ( I suppose no one’s going to wait around until my suture fuses together), and overall if 15 mm of expansion is achievable without overstressing the zygomatic complex or any other part of my cranium? 

Anything would be much appreciated, and thank you so much for your help!

Quick information about my case: Class III, slightly (?) recessed maxilla, 28mm maxillary intermolar width, mouth breather, cross-bite.

I’m also attaching a picture of my dental scans, so you all can have a better idea.

thegreatwork

Posted : 16/11/2020 10:37 am
Sergio-OMS
(@sergio-oms)

Posted by: @radwerty

Hi guys,

I am a 22-year-old guy looking for ways to improve the function and aesthetics of my face, teeth, tongue, and whatnot. I was born with a narrow, high-arched palate and unfortunately, no dentist ever told me that this was even a problem, not to mention that it’s not only an aesthetical but a functional one as well. I also was snoring incredibly loudly and waking up tired all the time. I even got a septoplasty due to a deviated septum, and it did reduce my symptoms, but it didn’t solve my problems. Once it dawned on me that the reason behind my mouth breathing and constantly stuffy nose and unreliably small airway volume is due to CFD, I began seeking professional help. I came across an airway and function-focused orthodontist, who I’ve had my first consult with, and she told me that MSE would be a really good option at increasing nasal volume and matching up the maxillary width with the mandibular. However, she told me that I would probably need at least two MSE appliances installed sequentially, because my intermolar width is only 28mm, and we should expand it to around 43 millimeters. That is, 15mm of expansion. Then, in the meantime to use a facemask to protract the maxilla up and forward

s, while simultaneously using braces and a splint to correct my TMJ asymmetry. 

My question is, do anyone of you have experience with double-MSE treatment, know how is relapse going to be avoided during the switching of the MSE ( I suppose no one’s going to wait around until my suture fuses together), and overall if 15 mm of expansion is achievable without overstressing the zygomatic complex or any other part of my cranium? 

Anything would be much appreciated, and thank you so much for your help!

Quick information about my case: Class III, slightly (?) recessed maxilla, 28mm maxillary intermolar width, mouth breather, cross-bite.

I’m also attaching a picture of my dental scans, so you all can have a better idea.

thegreatwork

You are asking questions that can only be answered by professionals. Although some professionals, like me, lurk around these forum boards, we can’t answer because you are not providing enough information and you would also need to be physically examined.

My advice is that, if you don’t feel comfortable with the proposed treatment plan, you get a second opinion.

Having said this, I’ll tell you that:

• Maxillary protraction with facemask at your age is quite small.
  • Sequential expansion isn’t rare. Placing the second expander should be done in a few days, tops.
  • Zygomatic buttresses and cranial stress can be prevented by adding a horizontal cut in the maxilla, done under local.
  • MSE can also be followed by orthognathic surgery.

Posted : 16/11/2020 1:49 pm
shanky27 and shanky27 reacted

THE GREAT WORK