Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Do you notice subtle changes in your face throughout the day?  

RSS
Elwynn
Estimable Member

Part of what makes assessing mewing progress difficult for me is the fact that my face naturally changes throughout the day. In the morning, my face tends to be a little puffy, which obfuscates my cheekbones and jawline, but also makes my dorsal bump less prominent. After being awake for an hour or two, the minor swelling is gone, and my face appears slimmer, with more prominent cheekbones and jawline, but also a more prominent dorsal bump. This effect increases as the day progresses, so that in the evening, my face appears the most slim. Ordinary things like exercise, splashing cold water on my face, taking a hot shower, or changing the amount of water I drink effect how my face looks in the short-term as well. Differences in lighting throughout the day are a contributing factor too, probably. A different person may not notice these subtle changes occurring, but I - having lived with my face forever - most certainly do.

I'm sure that this is obvious, but because I haven't kept it in mind when observing myself in the mirror, I've frequently convinced myself of certain improvements, which weren't really there (or, were difficult to ascertain). I'm curious if anyone here has had a similar experience.

24 years old

Posted : 14/04/2020 1:37 pm
Brayconic

Long time lurker here but I thought I would add my two cents. I also notice little changes in my face throughout the day, much the same as you. Differences in water intake, exercise, etcetera affect it. I try to judge my progress (in the mirror at least) in the evenings in the same lighting so I don't get fooled by what could be differences in fluid retention. It's not the most scientific, but I try to keep a mental image of what my face looks like "at it's best" and compare to that. Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/04/2020 8:53 pm
Elwynn liked
auxiliary
Estimable Member

Yes, at the end of the day my dorsal hump is very prominent, however at the morning it's barely there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2020 3:59 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

I think this is something everyone experiences. And this is also one reason why reference pictures are so important to assess ones progress. Now, there can be cases where you look yourself in the mirror and see undeniable changes, and can feel confident that you changed regardless if you have a reference picture or not. Such an experience for me was when I noticed a vast improvement in my ability to raise my hyoid bone, which otherwise sits so awfully low. For @Azrael it may be the  sudden hollowing of his cheeks, or his suture split. But with that being said, I do think the kind of “changes” you describe should be ignored just because of the very reasons you outlined in your post. Often nothing have changed, and it is very easy to see things(good or bad) that aren’t really there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2020 7:30 pm
auxiliary and Elwynn liked
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@auxiliarus

Same thing here. I suspect it's because skin tends to be a little more puffy immediately after sleep, although there may be other factors as well.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/05/2020 6:46 pm
PaperBag
Estimable Member

@elwynn I look the worst after sleep due to extreme facial puffiness. My fat distribution is already bad enough, likely due to not enough downward growth to make the skin taut, but I look like a total ogre upon getting up. Based on puffiness, the cooperation of my drooping eyelid, and other factors, I vacillate between thinking I look decent or extremely recessed throughout the day. This spectrum is a lot more constant than thinking part of my bone structure has actually changed and looking for proof of it in the mirror.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/05/2020 7:12 pm