Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Do I have bimaxillary protrusion or recessed chin?  

RSS
brianfnpillman

Title tbh. Here is my side profile(I've shared this profile pic before on this forum)

I used to push my tongue against front teeth a lot and as a result, my front teeth got protruded. I don't know much about Bimaxillary protrusion. So is it my bimaxillary protrusion that causes my lips look like fish or recessed chin? If its, bimaxillary protrusion, would getting braces fix my recessed chin and lips? 

Posted : 18/07/2019 9:06 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Yes and yes. What is your intermolar width?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/07/2019 8:34 am
brianfnpillman
Posted by: EddieMoney

I really don't know how to measure it. Also doesn't the bimaxillary protrusion mean protruding teeth can give the illusion or enhance the effect of an receeding chin but it doesnt mean you  actually have a receeding chin? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19/07/2019 9:57 am
dm222
Trusted Member

both

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/07/2019 2:52 pm
dm222
Trusted Member
Posted by: brianfnpillman

I really don't know how to measure it. Also doesn't the bimaxillary protrusion mean protruding teeth can give the illusion or enhance the effect of an receeding chin but it doesnt mean you  actually have a receeding chin? 

Yes,B protrusion makes you look more recessed.

In your case you seem also recessed but we cant we assess that if you are hiding all your face.

We need to see the ear and forehead to assess if you are recessed. Make a line between the tragus of your ear and  and lower part of the eye and another one perpendicular at your forehead and check where the jae sits.

But Im 99% sure you are, because you ate tilting your head upwards.

Btw bimax protrusion happens because of recession... Because you have less space for the tongue... People with good forward growth dont have bimax...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/07/2019 9:30 pm
brianfnpillman
Posted by: dm222
Posted by: brianfnpillman

Yes,B protrusion makes you look more recessed.

In your case you seem also recessed but we cant we assess that if you are hiding all your face.

We need to see the ear and forehead to assess if you are recessed. Make a line between the tragus of your ear and  and lower part of the eye and another one perpendicular at your forehead and check where the jae sits.

But Im 99% sure you are, because you ate tilting your head upwards.

Btw bimax protrusion happens because of recession... Because you have less space for the tongue... People with good forward growth dont have bimax...

Thanks but that's not the point. I have severe b protrusion and all I want to know can braces alone really fix it. My whole face suffers from downward growth. I have the archetypical mouth breather face. I just don't care about it anymore. I just want to get rid of my recessed chin.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/07/2019 7:07 am
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

"Braces" can't fix anything alone. Finding the right doctor can. Preferably one who focuses on expansion as opposed to extractions.

Also, work on your lip seal. Most of the time bimax happens when the palate is narrow and the lip seal isn't strong

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/07/2019 8:21 am
dm222
Trusted Member

what age are you?

- stop mouth breathing day and night

- lip seal 100% of the time

- mewing

- chewing

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/07/2019 8:27 am
brianfnpillman
Posted by: dm222

what age are you?

- stop mouth breathing day and night

- lip seal 100% of the time

- mewing

- chewing

I'm 18.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/07/2019 8:38 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

You'll likely need to get some distallization of molars.  Honestly, though, face-pulling (really pushing) seems good in this case.  The only thing to watch for is how big your tongue is & definitely watch your gums for good placement of teeth.  There's tricks to face pulling / pushing and they are beyond the scope of this site, per my understanding.  There is a known issue with big tongues and there are different possible medical causes of tongue overgrowth.  If you have such an issue, find out now!  Once you determine there is or isn't an underlying medical issue... if it isn't... then you can just get some free orthodontic consults.  They should all know how to move stuff around.  Keep in mind to monitor your airway doing so.  Best of luck to you!  I have a good feeling on this and it will all work out!!!  🙂  Keep your chin up.  You are aware and taking care.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2019 1:55 am
dm222
Trusted Member
Posted by: @darkindigo

You'll likely need to get some distallization of molars.  Honestly, though, face-pulling (really pushing) seems good in this case.  The only thing to watch for is how big your tongue is & definitely watch your gums for good placement of teeth.  There's tricks to face pulling / pushing and they are beyond the scope of this site, per my understanding.  There is a known issue with big tongues and there are different possible medical causes of tongue overgrowth.  If you have such an issue, find out now!  Once you determine there is or isn't an underlying medical issue... if it isn't... then you can just get some free orthodontic consults.  They should all know how to move stuff around.  Keep in mind to monitor your airway doing so.  Best of luck to you!  I have a good feeling on this and it will all work out!!!  🙂  Keep your chin up.  You are aware and taking care.

I have the same issue, which underling mediccal causes?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/07/2019 10:21 am
TheBeastPanda

@eddiemoney bro what do you mean working on your lip seal? I have a bimax aswell but I have a strong jaw? I also have an overbite/overjet becuase I used to push on my front teeth with my tongue when I was little? How can I fix my bimax and fix my maloclussion? Also I have some crowding on my lower teeth so what can I do? Also how can I get a better browridge and undereye support? I see you around here on the forum and you've answered alot of my questions thank you for that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/10/2020 7:42 pm