Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Crooked mandible after mewing for 4 years  

RSS
Bean
 Bean

I have a mild retrognathic maxilla as well as mild sleep apnea but could not tolerate the C-pap so started looking for alternatives. Around that time, 4 years ago now, I learned about orthotropics and mewing and since then have been consciously swallowing with the back of my tongue on the upper palate as well as pressing the length of the tongue on the palate. I do not do hard gum chewing. I have not noticed any changes in the maxilla but my mandible seems to be growing downwards, and twisting. It seems to be quite an exteme deformity at this point. It wasn't like this before mewing so I'm wondering if all the upwards pressure of my tongue created a counter force on my mandible? Perhaps I was not placing the tongue evenly on the palate and was favoring the right side? I'm afraid I've done irreparable harm to myself. Has anyone else experienced anything similar? Anyway, just wanted to share my tale here in case it is helpful.

Posted : 14/10/2018 2:44 pm
Topic Tags
wardellstephencurry

One thing I did notice during my facepulling/mewing journey was that my growth hormone levels increased. And with that I've notice around the 6 month mark my temporal bones increased disproportionately compared to the rest of my skull bones. From the side, my skull looked almost like an alien and was I self-cautious about it for a week but it went back to normal eventually. Likewise, my abdomen grew in circumference by about inch, as your intestines are rich in IGF receptors, but again it subsided overtime. Finally, my urine smelled awful for 3 weeks as my body was overproducing nitrogen-based amino acids as my body was growing and it taxed my urinary system for some time as it had trouble flushing out the metabolites.

In conclusion, you will notice side effects from this journey as your body has not caught up to the changes in your face. It will take time to normalize.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2018 2:52 pm
Bean
 Bean

Thanks for the reply! I will try not to worry and to hold out hope that I straighten out eventually. I'm just concerned about the downward growth - getting longer doesn't seem ideal. My face has also gotten rectangular when it used to be a pleasing oval shape. In the meantime, I'm parting my hair differently to try and disguise it a bit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2018 3:00 pm
Progress
Member Moderator

As you say, you could have been mewing in an imbalanced manner, which can happen easily when the spine is already accustomed to asymmetric posture. How is your occlusion? Are your dental arches canted? If yes, do they both tilt to the same direction, or opposite directions? Does one side of your arch seem wider than the other? Are your shoulders or eyes uneven? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2018 3:14 pm
krollic
Reputable Member

Willing to bet on imbalanced muscular forces. Do you have a preferred side of your jaw to chew food on? Test it out next time you have a meal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2018 9:25 pm
Bean
 Bean

I chew evenly. My bite is even, my eyes, and shoulders are even. I have been searching online and believe I have something called condylar hyperplasia, which is an overgrowth of the condyle leading to jaw deformity. If you Google it, you can see photos of jaws similar to mine. It is often but not always associated with TMD. If I do have TMJ pain, it's always on that right side, but I haven't had it in a year or so.  Perhaps the mewing triggered it, I don't know. Ugh. I'm going to make an appointment with an oral-max surgeon to get a medical opinion.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2018 10:51 pm
Samuel Alonzo
Eminent Member

@progress

I have a canted smile and one of my archs is wider I think one of my shoulder is high can you please tell me what this means and how I can fix it

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/10/2018 11:51 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

post an old pic for comparison

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2018 12:08 am
Mewer000

Truely brutal results if you have achieved no maxilla advancement in 4 years wow, how old are you?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2018 7:06 am
Progress
Member Moderator
Posted by: Samuel Alonzo

@progress

I have a canted smile and one of my archs is wider I think one of my shoulder is high can you please tell me what this means and how I can fix it

Which sides?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2018 8:32 am
Samuel Alonzo
Eminent Member

@progress

My right dental arch is more wider than the left and when I smile I can see my gums are seen on the right side but not the left.and my right shoulder is higher

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2018 9:05 am
Bean
 Bean

The attached photo was taken in June 2015. There's a slight asymmetry between the two sides but nothing like it is today. Edited to add: I'm realizing the angles of the photos are a bit different so this might not be the best side by side comparison. I'll try to replicate the earlier photo angle and post a side by side bit later.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2018 9:18 am
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

Have you been chin tucking while you mew, and have you been hard mewing?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/10/2018 5:42 pm
gubbbbb
Eminent Member

Is that the side you chew on? I had a similar thing before i started mewing where one side was developed and the other side was atrophied. I still have it but chewing on both sides seems to be evening me out

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2018 1:05 am
Mewer000

It may also be due to sleeping on one side at night?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2018 2:12 am
Mewer000

Also have you been mewing normally/softly during this 4 years?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16/10/2018 2:14 am
gr8w0tm8
Posted by: Samuel Alonzo

@progress

My right dental arch is more wider than the left and when I smile I can see my gums are seen on the right side but not the left.and my right shoulder is higher

I slept on my right side more, and even before going to bed used to lay/lean on my right side with my right shoulder popped up, I did this extensively for 5 years, and guess what my right side is 'more developed'. This happened to me from the age of 20 and onwards. Previously I did not have this asymmetry.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2018 9:26 pm
Samuel Alonzo
Eminent Member

I sleep on my right side too.I used to spend a lot of time laying on my bed even on day time laying on my right side.I am trying to sleep on my back but I can't resist the urge to switch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/10/2018 2:22 am
Kwak76

May I ask what your age is?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17/05/2020 12:00 am
auxiliary
Estimable Member
Posted by: @kwak76

May I ask what your age is?

Thread is 2 years old.

ReplyQuote