fbpx
Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Class 3, yet normal bite?

aRandomMosesAppears

Any input is appreciated please. Currently in Turkey, I don't know what to do. 

According to Dr Mahony, I've got a class 3 malocclusion. 

He said I have a retruded maxilla but a normal bite.

I need septoplasty for deviated septum. 

If I do extra surgery, it'll be for cosmetic purposes, as I have:

• Droopy nasal tip
  • Slight dorsal hump
  • Gummy smile
  • Flat midface
  • Left eye n-c-tilt
  • Impacted wisdom teeth

Dr Mahony recommended a lefort 3 but that's not happening. Just septo? Lefort I? Double jaw surgery? 

What do you recommend based on pics?

Topic starter Posted : 17/06/2019 7:46 am
aRandomMosesAppears

Also, I was doing (trying) a mckenzie chin tuck in the pics

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 17/06/2019 7:49 am
Odys
 Odys
Trusted Member
Posted by: aRandomMosesAppears

Also, I was doing (trying) a mckenzie chin tuck in the pics

That explains a fair bit of the awkwardness to how you look in the pics. I am also astounded by what you have been told and more so by the proposed treatment. I would advise against all the suggestions. I can’t see to comment on your septum, but I would hold off even on that. If you had just shown me your photos I would have told you you are in a good  place to start Mewing. Letting the wisdom teeth come through while Mewing should help your face forward. I don’t see the Class 3 malocclusion as regards the teeth. You can hope that Mewing will help with the nasal hump and septum and that proper posture will improve matters with your eye. Please hold off on surgeries for a year and give it a go.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/06/2019 6:46 pm
Roflcopters
Trusted Member

This is kind of what i have plus a crossbite and a slight tilt.

What you can expect from mewing, at least what i've achieved so far:

1. Alot of stress because you focus on it too much in the beginning and you wont really know what to do; might be worth it idk yet;

2. Be prepared for your mandible to go forward after like 2 months, that's what Mewing does more than maxillary expansion in adults, which pretty much means you'll see your bite developing more and more into the real class 3 it is the more you mew;

This is good and bad at the same time; Good because there was clear movement, your mandible moved forward for better airway and less tension in the TMJ;

Also good because your body posture, especially cervical posture will be alooot better;

Bad because socially you'll have to be really strong about it because going back to your older retruded mandible bite will feel pretty bad and painful;

If you don't stress on it and embrace it, you'll breathe better and stand up better;

3. In my case, right now i  feel most comfortable in a top on top bite and im starting to feel relief from jutting the mandible forward sometimes and i've also seen some improvement int he upper arch, no measurements but i can definitely feel it; its been about 6 months; maybe it's just teeth movement; idk

4. The more my mandible is moving forward the better my oral posture is; i sleep better; also im more focused when studying and working for sure all while nose breathing;

My suggestion is:

stop giving a [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] about how you look so much and be positive. OWN IT

I'd say give it some time, think about it and start looking into maxillary expansion devices;

You'll always have surgery available and 2020 will be a big year on adult expansion i feel like.

Right now i'm just living with it and studying the possibilities!

Try an acrylic expander under medical supervision and see how you react to expansion.. maybe a schwartz or a homeoblock. it's cheap and u'll see if you react well or not within a few weeks. If it doesn't work you know you'll need something more. Even Damon braces can get you expansion and in Europe braces arent too expensive.

Visit forward orthodontists and see what your options are..

How many mm are you retruded?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/06/2019 7:22 pm
aRandomMosesAppears

I decided to withdraw from doing any maxilla facial surgeries, and underwent a septo-rhinoplasty a few days ago.

Currently in recovery stage with nasal splint on; that'll be coming off soon.

I can post pics if anyone is interested. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/06/2019 2:11 pm
ToothMan246

Yes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/06/2019 2:56 pm
aRandomMosesAppears

@indigenous
My septum was definitely bent to the point where I couldn't breathe through a nostril.

@odys
Class 3 isn't obvious because of compensation of mandibular incisors according to Dr Mahony.

@roflcoptors

I'll look into maxillary appliances for sure.

Also, not sure how to measure mm's of retrusion

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 30/06/2019 2:58 pm