Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Can't mew with this orthodontic device  

RSS
MarusDod

Just got braces again, and this time they put me these weird bands between my top teeth

https://imgur.com/a/QP6vys4

Don't know what they're for but my ortho said it was needed, all I know is maintaining correct tongue posture with this is a hell of a task with this thing because it feels like I'm chopping my own tongue on the left side.

Also in a few months my ortho will put a "Palatal Bar" which is a thing that connect my top teeth, by crossing against the roof of the mouth. Has anyone ever used this device? Is it really needed or just another way for them to scam me off more money?

Posted : 05/03/2019 8:43 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

I have a ortho devide that restricts it alot more than braces. FO rme it affects mewing but fo you its probably minimal just continue to mew. braces may restrict some gains tho

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/03/2019 6:48 pm
snaaaaakes

What is the goal of the device? The bar certainly will interfere with your mewing, unless it's working to give you more width (in which case mewing will be easier and more effective once it's out).
If you don't know what a device is for, don't let them put it in your mouth. Your mouth is your WORLD and determines your whole face!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2019 4:11 am
MarusDod

It's called palatal bar. I think it is to prevent the back molars from rotating, it's not a palatal expander

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2019 7:11 pm