Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

Another set of great results from reddit!!

justdoit

Post image

Original post here. Copy-pasting his comment below:

Still got a long way to go! I am aware that to some of you, the changes between these pictures are quite insignificant, but it is just a progress comparison post. I have taken the more recent pic (on the right) in the same location, same time of day, (both) with front facing iPhone camera, and similar angle for the most optimal comparison.

I have effectively been mewing for around 10 months now without any restrictions (read on) and have only recently begun hard mewing, chewing and chin tucking, as well as striving to correct my forward head posture, as seen by the rounding of my head at the back of the first picture on the left and the straighter, more elongated neck in the second (note. my hair is more bulky in the back in the recent, giving a rounded appearance, so look at the neck line). When I’m satisfied with my changes in the future, I’ll post a pic with shorter hair, without the fringe for better comparison. Also, ignore my skin, been dealing with that [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] for the last decade. •••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

I have always been aware that I mouth breathed since around 7 years of age. I started my orthodontic braces treatment on 15th January 2017, which lasted until 02 Sept 2018. This was a standard upper + lower (train track) brace with elastics. My face got progressively longer/more downswung since the first picture (above) was taken.

I was attempting to practice correct tongue posture, swallowing and making a habit of getting my tongue used to sitting on my palate during this time, however I was aware that progress would be very much restricted. A very noticeable initial change for me was that my cheeks became hollowed and less puffy, which I believe was due to correcting my swallowing pattern (for reference, I did not lose weight during this time and am very athletic sitting at about 7% in the before and about 9% currently.

I refused extractions when proposed by my orthodontist as I learned the damage that can occur to the face from this. I decided to stop wearing my clear retainers 1 month after I finished my treatment. I have a fixed upper and lower metal retainer strip on the back of both top and bottom front teeth. I seal my lips closed with tape when I sleep at night.

I learned of the benefits of chewing gum (ie. a hard diet) in the first few months of 2018 and initially begun chewing standard softer gum, due to not wanted to break off the wire/brackets in my mouth. But became less cautious and bought an order of hard mastic gum at the end of July 2018, which I found gave me a much better workout and results, leaving my masseters looking wider and defined, even after 30 mins of intentionally hard chewing, though this would reduce slightly (can be compared to getting a post workout pump after lifting weights).

I started chewing mastic gum 5 days ago for 45mins- 1 hour daily, since I ran out of it 6 months ago and haven’t had the benefits of chewing. I expect/hope this will help to progress my facial upswing even more, and looking forward to seeing any changes this implementation may bring. I started practicing hard mewing, while holding a chin tuck head posture at the end of May 2019 and have been chewing hard gum in this position on and off also.

Chin tucking while hard mewing is the only way I can fit my whole tongue on the roof my my mouth and allows me to properly engage the posterior 3rd. It has brought more progressive changes. It has noticeably elevated my cheekbones and made my brow bone come forward slightly reducing the space between my eyebrow and eyelids/eyes. Due to asymmetry, this is more evident on the left side of my face then the right as the right is dropped slightly lower, possibly due to sleeping on with the right side of my face against the pillow. I started sleeping without pillows and on my back over the last few days making a slight chin tuck as I sleep. I can notice that upon waking up, my tongue is lightly pressed up on my palate, which is new.

That’s all I can think of at the minute, any questions ask below. I am genuinely interested in the benefits and changes that come with practicing the ideas surrounding orthotropic, and can honestly assure you that the structure of these photos has not been tampered with. I don't have front pictures, palate/teeth pictures to show as of right now. I don’t think this is that impressive so I’ll wait until I’m happy with my changes to post more detailed photos in the future. {I turn 21 in October for anyone who cares about age relative to facial changes}

Apologies for the long comment.

Topic starter Posted : 01/08/2019 7:33 pm
krajk liked
ohwhatthehell
Eminent Member

That's super inspiring! The chin tuck really does seem to be a link between all of the cases with the most profound results.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/08/2019 9:44 pm
Slinky
Trusted Member

his profile improved so much and that even in 10 months. Impressive results

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2019 11:16 pm