Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

A great adult progress from Reddit!  

RSS
Azrael
Estimable Member

My adjusted edit of her first month and sixth month

Her original collage

Her comment: "27F - thrilled with my progress 🙂

Tried posting in orthotropics but apparently there has been a change from 6 months minimum to 12 months. When I started mewing, the rule was 6 months so this bugs me but whatever. I think my outcome speaks for itself!

All photos taken in the same room, same spot. Month 2 lighting is a bit off but the rest are better. I took a bunch of photos each month at slightly different angles to make sure I found the same face and neck angle for accurate comparison. I know how picky this sub is on B&A so I really wanted this to be accurate.

First 3 months I made more of a conscious effort to hard mew throughout the day. Now I don't hard mew but the new tongue posture is second nature to me now. Like I can't even let my tongue fall off my palate now, it feels weird!

I was and still am diligent about swallowing correctly since I used to tongue thrust my whole life. I also chew without sucking my cheeks in. I do not chew hard gum.

I improved my head and neck posture. Yes that means chin tucks and less slouching.

Lastly I'd like to mention that my weight and body fat % did not change the last 6 months. I checked my smart scale history to confirm this. Weight loss was brought up when I posted some early progress, like if I lost some weight I'd look better faster, etc. Well I am 5'11" 142-144 lbs and BF is 20-21%. My BMI is less than 20 so.... Yeah I don't need to lose weight lol. For me, weight really had nothing to do with my results."

Another amazing adult transformation due to chin tucking and hard mewing. I am interested in hearing your thoughts on this. I don't know if it's okay to post another person's photos even for discussion, so if it's not appropriate, feel free to delete this post.

Posted : 04/03/2020 3:32 pm
Sot liked
Elwynn
Estimable Member

It's good to see someone finally putting some effort into taking good before and after photos.

I see that her tongue posture has improved greatly, resulting in a sharper jawline. Some noticeable soft tissue developments have likely contributed to this effect as well. Overall, this is definitely progress. I'm curious if any structural, bone-level changes have occurred; it's not possible to discern that from these photos, but if she posts more progress photos in the future, maybe the changes will be large enough for us to determine that.

On a side note, I think that her progress mirrors mine. Though I only took photos several months after beginning mewing (after some postural and soft-tissue progress had already occurred), I distinctly remember that before then I would let my tongue slack to the bottom of my mouth, and that this would result in a turkey neck (despite me being slightly underweight). At first, I found it difficult to keep my tongue up, but once I got the hang of it, my jawline became more defined. Now it takes hardly any effort to keep my tongue suctioned to the roof of my mouth. After fixing my turkey neck, the next changes I noticed were increased prominence in cheek bones and masseters. It looks like those changes are also visible in her comparisons.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/03/2020 6:39 pm
Robbie343
Trusted Member

@elwynn

Do you think when she lets her tongue down she goes back to how she looked at the beginning? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/03/2020 6:56 pm
Robbie343
Trusted Member

@elwynn

Does your neck get slack still if you drop your tongue? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/03/2020 7:15 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@robbie343

Do you think when she lets her tongue down she goes back to how she looked at the beginning?

To some extent, definitely. But her jawline appears to have become so defined that it's possible that there would still be a visible improvement if she she slacked her tongue - hard to say conclusively, but it's very likely. It's also worth keeping in mind that when starting out, it probably wasn't very comfortable for her to keep her tongue up all the time. It took muscle build up and habituation for good tongue posture to become the default state.

Does your neck get slack still if you drop your tongue?

Of course, but I'm no longer inclined to drop it. In fact, whereas previously slacking my tongue was the norm, it now feels uncomfortable to do so. It took me a long time to get to this point. I still think that my face improved beyond just fixing my turkey neck, but having your tongue in the right place is a major aspect of attractiveness.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/03/2020 9:36 pm
max iller
Eminent Member

I'm almost certain camera distortion is affecting these images, but her jawline now exists, which is irrefutable. However, she's facing her head toward the camera slightly in the later comparisons, which funnily is a common tactic rampant among sites that offer before-afters of facepullers and other functional orthodontic treatments claiming to bring the maxilla forward. I wish they's be more honest, but tangents aside.
It's really hard to tell much from these photos for me. People underestimate how much the camera lens pulls and squishes the face, subtly changing ratios and sizes of different parts of the face. I've fallen victim to this myself, and it's embarrassing.
Selfies are by no means adequate, considering the subtlety of changes we're trying to pinpoint.
This ofcourse is aside from the obvious change in her jawline, impressive honestly. I don't fault her for the imprecise pictures either (too much), but if anything I'm frustrated at the difficulty of making accurate comparisons.
I don't accuse this user for any intentional frauding of her comparisons, to be clear. 

Just to hammer this point home I quickly made a gif using her ear as a rough anchor point, see for yourself.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/03/2020 12:38 am
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@Azrael Could you provide the link to the reddit discussion?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/03/2020 12:22 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member
EddieMoney
Reputable Member

Her ramus came down. Seems mewing transformations always seem to allow molars to come down even if nothing else changes. Being a female she doesn't really need to grow a big chin anyway. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/03/2020 4:27 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @eddiemoney

Her ramus came down. Seems mewing transformations always seem to allow molars to come down even if nothing else changes. Being a female she doesn't really need to grow a big chin anyway. 

Wish I could drop my ramus like her in 4 months since I am pretty much like her (I'm a guy, though) in the first pic and our routines are pretty similar-ish.

Still, she had some of the fastest progress I've seen in an adult, but still there's the bit of lens distortion mentioned above to keep in mind.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/03/2020 4:35 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @azrael

Wish I could drop my ramus like her in 4 months since I am pretty much like her (I'm a guy, though) in the first pic and our routines are pretty similar-ish.

Still, she had some of the fastest progress I've seen in an adult, but still there's the bit of lens distortion mentioned above to keep in mind.

Her nose looks to maybe have straightened out too? Or maybe my imagination. I wonder if she started at a Class 2 Div 2 or Class 1. 

When you say you're like her, you mean the same phenotype? She looks like she has a short and narrow facial type (as in short vertical height and minimal fwhr). 

Also I do think her chin improved a bit and I wonder if it is simply from a better lip seal. She looked like she had a slightly overactive mentalis on her first pic. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/03/2020 8:45 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

When you say you're like her, you mean the same phenotype? She looks like she has a short and narrow facial type (as in short vertical height and minimal fwhr). 

I meant the side profile with the recessed chin. My face is somewhat long with a large gonial angle.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2020 6:15 pm
Elwynn
Estimable Member

@azrael

I don't think her face looks long. I think that's an illusion created by the fact that she lacks good forward growth.

24 years old

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2020 11:18 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @elwynn

@azrael

I don't think her face looks long. I think that's an illusion created by the fact that she lacks good forward growth.

Of course, I agree. She has good/normal vertical height.

I just meant (in my previous reply to Eddie) that our  side profiles looked similar because of the recessed chin (and setback mandible). My face is different from hers when it comes to the gonial angle and vertical height.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2020 11:34 pm
EddieMoney
Reputable Member
Posted by: @azrael
Posted by: @elwynn

@azrael

Of course, I agree. She has good/normal vertical height.

I just meant (in my previous reply to Eddie) that our  side profiles looked similar because of the recessed chin (and setback mandible). My face is different from hers when it comes to the gonial angle and vertical height.

Women naturally have vertically shorter faces, though. Their maxilla doesn't grow as away from the upper face as does a man's. 

When you say long face, do you mean midface or overall long face with a strong lower third and a high forehead? Or narrow face rather? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2020 8:41 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

When you say long face, do you mean midface or overall long face with a strong lower third and a high forehead? Or narrow face rather? 

I mean the overall face with a high forehead and somewhat strong lower third.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/03/2020 9:43 pm
Silver
Trusted Member

Outstanding progress

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/04/2020 9:50 am