Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

A few days of mewing - new position of the lower jaw  

RSS
Annie77

Hi guys

I’m a 31 yo female with overjet and cross bite. I also have flat foot and scoliosis since I was a child.
As a result I developed low bite teeth and some problems with TMJ by the age of 25. I couldn’t open my mouth same wide as before and my TMJ started chattering. I managed that by removing hypertonus from my face muscles (thanks Patakara and post isometric relaxation techniques).

Not long ago I learnt all that orthotropics stuff and was really impressed. So I started mewing like 4 or 5 days ago. I just tried to keep my whole tongue on the roof and to swallow corrctly. On the second day I realized that placing the tongue like that and keeping the teeth together at the same time makes my masseters overtensed. I thought I shouldn’t go on as it could worsen my TMJ condition.
So, the next day I kept only the tip of my tongue on the proper place and swallowed correctly. Something amazing happened the same evening: my lower jaw found a new comfortable position: first just forward and then also more centered. In other words, my lower jaw seems to have moved to its proper position or at least close to it. The next day (today) I continue with the new jaw position. Of course it goes back to the old one from time to time, but I bring it back to the new one.

I’m excited and a bit concerned about all that. Here are the questions that you guys can probably help me with:
1. Given my lower bite, don’t I need something to fill the gap between my back teeth? I know that after Starecta treatment it’s required to do so to preserve the result. Won’t my unsupported lower bite affect the progress?
2. My face looks a bit weird with a new position with of the lower jaw, since the upper one hasn’t grown yet. Is that okay? How long should I expect it to take the upper jaw to align with the lower one?
3. In general, is this such a fast movement of the jaw okay? Please share your experience

Many thanks!

Posted : 25/03/2019 4:37 pm
Sclera
Estimable Member

Hi there, we have very similar backgrounds!

In answer to your questions:

1. I'm not quite sure I understand, but the general rule is to keep teeth lightly apart, and only feather-touch when at rest.

2. I also saw that my proportions changed when my bite changed. Unfortunately, in adults, forward growth of the maxilla with the million dollar question. We just don't know if it's possible, or how long it will take, or who it will be effective for, and how. Each person is so different.

3. My own experience with my mandible was much like yours. An immediate change in my bite due to my mandible moving forward. My facial and neck muscles have tightened/adjusted over time, and I'm looking much better than when I first started! But it took a little while.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/03/2019 8:53 pm
Annie77 liked
Annie77

Hi Sclera

Thanks a lot for your reply! Sounds very encouraging 🙂
I can see that my chin line looks definitely better with the new jaw position. The overall face shape is nicer as well.

As for the low bite problem - I will explain a bit more here. Because of the malocclusion my teeth have always made improper contact, as a result they wore off and their height now is lower than supposed to be. That is why when I keep my mouth shut, my rear teeth don’t touch each other at all. There’s a even a significant gap between them on the left side. And my concern on this point was whether I should somehow fill that gap to reach the normal occlussion height.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2019 4:30 am
krollic
Reputable Member

How on earth are you getting noticeable jaw movement in the space of a day?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2019 7:30 am
Annie77

Hey krollic

It's the same question I was asking myself. I never expected getting my jaw moving after 2 days of exercise. Moreover, when I tried to put my mandibula into the proper position artificially in the past, it felt very unnatural and impossible to maintain that position.

I can't definitely say what was the reason for such a quick movement. Probably it happened thanks to the face muscles relaxing exercises I've been practicing for over a year now. But that's just an assumption.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2019 10:08 am
Sclera
Estimable Member

@krollic Because it's simply adopting a new bite and, with the posterior third up properly, it moves the mandible forward and keeps it in place. It really is immediate for someone with an overbite.

@Annie77 I'd suggest finding a doctor who understands tongue posture and skull development to see what they have to say about your back teeth. With my asymmetry, my bite isn't perfect either, but I know there's a lot to consider to changing height of teeth.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/03/2019 10:16 am