Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

6 months progress  

RSS
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

Been "hard mewing" for 6 months. I'm 31 years old. I've had all four of my premolars extracted when I was younger and all of my wisdom teeth are either impacted, below the gum line, or missing. So far I've opened up enough space that could fit my missing premolars at the back of my teeth (at least my bottom teeth). I can fit my tongue much more comfortably on the roof of my mouth and my facial symmetry has improved quite a bit. Pretty stoked I no longer have a double chin! Mewing mostly to fix my smooshed face but also for the long term health benefits since an orthotropist once told me I had one of the narrowest airways he'd ever seen. I've mewed for over a year prior to the last 6 months without achieving much results. I know there's a lot of debate on here about the efficacy of hard mewing but so far I've found it to be a better reminder to maintain consistent body and tongue posture since it's something you have to be more conscious of. That and my tongue has become a lot stronger by keeping constant pressure on my palate all day. Pretty excited about the results so far!

This topic was modified 3 weeks ago 4 times by Timbertiger
This topic was modified 1 week ago by Timbertiger
Posted : 26/06/2019 12:17 pm
Loliboly liked
Kyte
 Kyte
Trusted Member

Hi @timbertiger,

I think that the great work forum is in a pause for reflection when it comes to judge progress.

But as long as mewing makes you to feel better, keep at It but don't overdo

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Kyte
ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/06/2019 4:04 pm
elevee
Trusted Member

Your face looks much more shapely overall, including your nose! Did you lose weight in this time, or is the change we are seeing all due to toning from mewing?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/06/2019 1:52 pm
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

@elevee Thank you! I think I lost a few pounds since winter but I've definitely had a double chin at much lower weights than I am currently. I can get more of the back of my tongue to touch my upper palate now which is mainly why I think its gone now.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Timbertiger
ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/06/2019 2:47 pm
skinnyboiii

To be clear -- it sounds like you didn't experience change until you started applying pressure. Can you talk more about this process and the change? I'm super interested. In the beginning, could your tongue fit between your molars (tight, snug, loose?) Do you know what your starting IMW was? And how does your tongue fit now? Interested in hearing about whatever info you feel like providing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 1:12 am
ohwhatthehell

Great progress. You look years younger in the after photo. I experienced similar changes to you and they only get better with time. Just make sure that you also do a chin tuck while mewing at least some of the time.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 1:33 am
elevee
Trusted Member

That's incredible--congratulations! The other poster is correct, you look a LOT younger in the second photo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 6:30 am
krollic
Estimable Member

just to be clear, what visual differences do you guys see other than weight loss and the raising of the hyoid?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 9:17 am
Fiver liked
Loliboly

Great work @Timbertiger, and thanks for sharing! To answer @krollic's question, it may be due to a slight difference in angle, but I think your lip area has improved. It seems to me like the lower lip has come back a bit, making a more harmonious impression together with the upper one.
   As @skinnyboiii, I too am interested in hearing more about the details of your process. I wonder especially about how hard you push, as well as what part of the tongue you focus on pushing into the palette. It was really motivating to see your changes, especially when taking your age into account. I am sure you instill hope in other adult mewers(such as myself).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 9:49 am
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

@skinnyboiii When I first started passively mewing a year or so ago I could barely fit my tongue on the roof of my mouth though I don't know what my intermolar width was at the time. I can now fit it comfortably though there's still not a lot of space. My first molars are where my second premolars should be (since my premolars were extracted) so I wasn't exactly sure where I should measure. I made an impression in an index card 6 months ago and judging from that and where my molars should be, maybe round about 34mm or so. I don't think I've had much change in intermolar width in the last 6 months (maybe like 1mm) but I know I've had forward growth judging from the gap that's opened up at the back of my teeth. Also when I line up my eyes and ears in photoshop using the 2 photos, it appears my face has come forward a bit though I'm no expert at this. I think I've had forward growth rather than an increase in intermolar width because I've mostly been applying forward pressure. Lately I've been trying to focus more on applying lateral pressure.

@loliboly Thank you! I think my lips have mostly improved just from making a concentrated effort to keep them closed constantly. I've been trying to do what Achilles and Neveragain did- just mew as hard as possible and with enough strength that can be sustained throughout the day. Surprisingly it hasn't been that hard to get used to- it's just about changing habits. My tongue is incredibly strong now and it's now pretty easy to sustain pressure throughout the day. I've done chin tucks off and on but I haven't been religious about it. I have managed to improve my posture over the last year or so which I think has helped.

Thanks for the feedback! It's plenty of motivation!

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by Timbertiger
ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 10:45 am
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

Good work! Can you share your hard mewing technique? What parts of the tongue are you pushing with?  Is it an active push or is it "hard suctioning" so to speak?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 3:44 pm
skinnyboiii
Posted by: Timbertiger

@skinnyboiii When I first started passively mewing a year or so ago I could barely fit my tongue on the roof of my mouth though I don't know what my intermolar width was at the time. I can now fit it comfortably though there's still not a lot of space. My first molars are where my second premolars should be (since my premolars were extracted) so I wasn't exactly sure where I should measure. I made an impression in an index card 6 months ago and judging from that and where my molars should be, maybe round about 34mm or so. I don't think I've had much change in intermolar width in the last 6 months (maybe like 1mm) but I know I've had forward growth judging from the gap that's opened up at the back of my teeth. Also when I line up my eyes and ears in photoshop using the 2 photos, it appears my face has come forward a bit though I'm no expert at this. I think I've had forward growth rather than an increase in intermolar width because I've mostly been applying forward pressure. Lately I've been trying to focus more on applying lateral pressure.

@loliboly Thank you! I think my lips have mostly improved just from making a concentrated effort to keep them closed constantly. I've been trying to do what Achilles and Neveragain did- just mew as hard as possible and with enough strength that can be sustained throughout the day. Surprisingly it hasn't been that hard to get used to- it's just about changing habits. My tongue is incredibly strong now and it's now pretty easy to sustain pressure throughout the day. I've done chin tucks off and on but I haven't been religious about it. I have managed to improve my posture over the last year or so which I think has helped.

Thanks for the feedback! It's plenty of motivation!

Okay, interesting. Thanks for the insight. So you say you haven't had a change in IMW, yet your tongue fits more comfortably? I wonder if this common. Maybe the tongue is gaining flexibility and strength.

RE the photos: I tried aligning those photos too and while there does seem to be a subjective difference in appearance, I noticed that the photos appear to have some unexplainable differences which suggest that they were taken with a different camera, at a different angle, or from a different distance. For example your ear is stretched in the horizontal direction in the "after" photo. I don't deny that you look better but it's important not to fool ourselves -- which, of course, we're very good at. You may want to try getting closer to the original photo to make an accurate comparison.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 6:32 pm
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

@drunkwithcoffee I mainly push with the front and middle part of the tongue and it's more of an active push. I've mainly been applying forward pressure but I think the ideal is to expand the tongue like you're inflating it in all directions.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 6:55 pm
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

@skinnyboiii I might have had an increase in IMW of about 1mm. I don't want to claim an increase at that small a change but my tongue definitely fits better since I started mewing over a year ago. Unfortunately I wasn't tracking IMW back then.

About aligning the photos.. I think my ear IS stretched in the horizontal position. I've taken several photos trying to match up with the original as close as possible and in all the photos my ear appears to look more stretched. The same camera is used and from what I remember, the same distance.  You can tell by the position of my eyelashes and eyebrow on the far side of my face in both photos that approximately the same angle is used. 

This post was modified 3 weeks ago 4 times by Timbertiger
ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 6:59 pm
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

So you're pushing on the hard palate rather than the soft palate?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 7:21 pm
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

@drunkwithcoffee yes

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 7:25 pm
skinnyboiii
Posted by: Timbertiger

@skinnyboiii I might have had an increase in IMW of about 1mm. I don't want to claim an increase at that small a change but my tongue definitely fits better since I started mewing over a year ago. Unfortunately I wasn't tracking IMW back then.

About aligning the photos.. I think my ear IS stretched in the horizontal position. I've taken several photos trying to match up with the original as close as possible and in all the photos my ear appears to look more stretched. The same camera is used and from what I remember, the same distance.  You can tell by the position of my eyelashes and eyebrow on the far side of my face in both photos that approximately the same angle is used. You can either line up my profile perfectly or my ear perfectly but neither of them at the same time in all the photos I've tried because I think they're now at different angle to each other.

Well I'm willing to believe that ears can move, flop, and rotate, but I don't think they can stretch. Maybe it's because it's in front of your hair rather than behind it, but I don't really know. If it were me I'd keep double-checking.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago by skinnyboiii
ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 7:31 pm
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

@Skinnyboiii well if you think about it.. the bottom of the ear is attached to the skin of the jaw right? So if the jaw comes forward the bottom of the ear will come with it. You can see this for yourself if you jut your jaw forward and look at your ear in the mirror. Makes sense to me. I do regret not tucking my hair behind my ear for the first picture though. However, I have proof enough for myself inside my mouth since I now have gaps that never existed before.

This post was modified 3 weeks ago 3 times by Timbertiger
ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 7:38 pm
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

Very interesting! It seems like guys like Achilles1 and Neveragain have emphasized pushing on the soft palate.  Have you also experimented with this but decided to settle on the hard palate?

This is in no way judgment of your technique (I've just started doing a little hard mewing myself), just curious to learn.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 7:42 pm
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

@drunkwithcoffee Haven't actually thought about it at all. There is some pressure on the soft palate but the majority of the pressure is forward and slightly up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 7:46 pm
elevee
Trusted Member

@krollic, the poster said that she lost very little weight and has retained her double chin at much lower weights than her present ones, so most of the changes are not in fact weight loss. It's improved tone and, guessing by her coloring, circulation. I see a slimmer neck, defined jawline, less sagging at the corner of the mouth, clearer, rosier skin, and a more delicate, toned look to the nostrils. I think I also notice an increased brow arch and smoothed nasolabial  line. Overall, without being able to see her eyes, it looks like an age difference of ten years to me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 8:16 pm
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

@elevee Sweet! And thank you! 🙂 My Irish skin does look extra pasty in the winter, but yes my skin has been looking much better since I've started mewing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/06/2019 9:19 pm
elevee
Trusted Member

You're welcome, and congratulations. You're not the  first person I've seen have this effect, and it makes a lot of sense that if we are expanding airway and circulation, the skin would be clearer and brighter.

Super interesting about your distinct forward, not lateral, growth. I think it was @progress who said he had been doing the opposite, focusing on lateral expansion only (also with mewing only and having great results, like you) and was now thinking of changing his focus to forward pressure, hoping to get forward growth. Your photos are a great indicator that this strategy works!

Also--you've had forward growth the width of premolars in 6 months?? That's incredible. What's your age? You know, they sell little tools to measure the interdistal spaces, and you might like to pick up a few to track your progress. Ronald Ead had some youtube videos on how to use them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2019 8:34 am
Timbertiger
Eminent Member

Relating to what @drunkwithcoffee said about Neveragain and Achilles emphasizing pressure on the soft palate, now that I think of it, I think that might be better for lateral expansion while front and forward pressure might be better for forward expansion. Think I'll switch it up and apply more pressure on the back of the tongue.

Thank you @elevee! I'm 31. I think one of the side effects of having a poorly developed facial structure is premature jowls since there's not much cheekbones for support. Fortunately I think I'm fixing the problem just in time. The space I opened up could fit more like 90% of a premolar - it would currently be a tight fit. At the rate its been expanding though, it should me more than enough space in about a month or so. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/06/2019 2:12 pm
Share:

As you undergo correction in the near future, please consider keeping records for your own sake and for others. Pictures of dental impressions, scans, medical reports reports can be very helpful even with all personally identifying information blocked out.

Your input could help many, many people

Face Development

Working

Please Login or Register