Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

46 years old, cervical pull headgear as an adolescent

jbsims

When I was 12 years old my parents took me to see an orthodontist. He explained that my upper teeth had grown ahead of my lower teeth, and cervical pull headgear would hold my upper teeth back and allow my lower teeth to catch up. I wore the headgear for five years, from age 12 to age 17. I hated it. I wore it mostly at night, and it prevented me from sleeping well. I started a lifelong pattern of not being able to fall asleep at night and not being able to get out of bed in the morning. It also caused my head to hurt during the day. By the time I was 18 my thoracic spine had started to hurt as well. In college I was constantly sleeping in and late for class, but couldn’t fall asleep at night. By the time I was 25 my spine was hurting constantly. My posture got worse and worse. I hated seeing myself in the mirror or in a security camera. I didn’t understand why I was growing so poorly. I started chiropractic and yoga at age 28 in an effort to relieve the constant pain in my neck and back. I started acupuncture around age 30. I kept up a regular regimen of physical therapy, chiropractic, yoga, massage and acupuncture just to try to feel normal and get through life without constant pain. Everyone trying to help me constantly coached me to stand up straighter, to try and tuck my chin and open my chest. Nevermind that if I tuck my chin I can’t breathe. Around age 36 I started trying to address my problem as a TMJ/TMD issue. I got a “brux guard”, an acrylic night-time occlusal splint. I got an acrylic bite splint to wear during the day. I started seeing an osteopath. I got orthodontia a second time. I had equilibration to try and fix my bite. I started using a CPAP around age 44. I woke up after the first night with the CPAP feeling more rested than I could remember. At 45 the pain was so constant and so aggravating I felt I couldn’t work anymore. I tried methocarbamol, cyclobenzaprine, all the NSAIDs. Opoids work for a day but I can't stand taking them. I left my career on the west coast as a computer programmer and moved my family to rural Kentucky, hoping we could survive on our savings. I discovered orthotropics while researching options for my son. I started mewing myself around a year or so ago, though probably didn't start doing it correctly until the past few months, thanks to this site. Photos were taken before I started ortho the second time, so about 5 years ago. 

Topic starter Posted : 06/05/2019 9:30 pm
jimbobape

FM + MSE and pray 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06/05/2019 10:07 pm
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

Thanks for sharing your story, and Im sorry you've had to go through all this. I'd recommend putting a lot of effort into improving your body posture (Gokhale method is good) and preferably go to some courses if you can. I think improving body posture is absolutely essential and should net you a lot of benefit. Hope things get better for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/05/2019 10:22 am
jbsims

More recent photos. 

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/05/2019 8:19 pm
Goblin_slayer

Screw orthodontist that do this , its horrible

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 4:59 am
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member
Posted by: @goblin_slayer

That sensitivity,

This kind of outcome is just the old fashioned way orthodontists used to treat their patients and the result of their overall perspection of beauty that blindly focused on how teeth look when you smile, no matter if it is counterproductive for your health

https://youtu.be/alREA5H66No

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 11:26 am
Goblin_slayer
Posted by: @kyte
Posted by: @goblin_slayer

That sensitivity,

This kind of outcome is just the old fashioned way orthodontists used to treat their patients and the result of their overall perspection of beauty that blindly focused on how teeth look when you smile, no matter if it is counterproductive for your health

https://youtu.be/alREA5H66No

The problem is orthodontists know the end result of headgear which is why there are different opposing camps of orthos~ headgear vs no headgear extraction vs expansion . To literally stop the natural growth of the maxilla even though the mandible grows at a faster rate during puberty is monstrous. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14/11/2019 6:30 pm