NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

35 yo with pics Any hopes for improvements?  

RSS
noober

Hi everyone. I found out about Dr Mew a few months ago and since then I've been watching every video about it I could find on youtube. I'm a practical guy and I know at 35 years old your body has pretty much achieved its final form and can hardly change in its structural shape.

Having said that, I'd appreciate your opinions on whether or not I could get any benefit from mewing from now on.
Thanks.

Posted : 20/05/2019 4:56 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Ah!!!  Your profile looks good.  I would bet that your teeth are a little narrow.  If you want to beef up the front part of your face straight-on, then simply braces or even some aligners would do that... but it totally depends on how your teeth are.  you are a handsome fellow.  I wouldn't worry!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2019 6:11 pm
Rockyp33
Reputable Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcI8CvoFxfQ

do this constantly

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/05/2019 8:06 pm
noober liked
noober
Posted by: darkindigo

Ah!!!  Your profile looks good.  I would bet that your teeth are a little narrow.  If you want to beef up the front part of your face straight-on, then simply braces or even some aligners would do that... but it totally depends on how your teeth are.  you are a handsome fellow.  I wouldn't worry!

Thanks man. My teeth actually are a bit narrow but I'd rather have them narrow instead of developing spaces between them if that'd be what it takes.

@rockyp33 I've just watched the video and I'll sure try to adopt that way of swallowing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/05/2019 5:52 am
elevee
Trusted Member

Yes. It can be done in your 30s and beyond.

You have a good foundation. Mewing, or rather, adopting correct tongue posture and swallowing patterns and thorough chewing will eventually reduce the length in your midface, which is a little on the long side. I don't think you need to worry about getting spaces between your teeth--that takes a pretty dramatic expansion, more than most people would create through oral posture. I think what you will see over a year or two is increased definition of the jaw and cheekbones, and a slightly wider dental arch, all of which most people consider very pleasing. 

Paying attention to whole body posture will help you along, too. "Primal posture" and the work of Esther Gokhale are good places to look.

I encourage you to take a set of starter photos a little farther back from the camera than these are, as close shots create lens distortion. A public bathroom mirror in a place that you go routinely would be good, as it would be easy for you to recreate the light and pose. Good luck!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/05/2019 7:14 pm
noober

I'll look into those 2 pages right away, thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/05/2019 10:12 am
GreekGodBrody
Trusted Member

That side profile is quite good, but the narrow jaw from the front ruins everything 🤡 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/05/2019 2:16 am
noober

I think that's the main issue too. I can't think of any way to improve that aspect other than growing a beard and just hiding it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/05/2019 6:44 am
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

By the way...seriously, try to take a more distant picture. Otherwise the camera will make everything Is in front bigger and what It Is in the back smaller (lensing)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/05/2019 7:01 am
noober liked
mscottxy

I was 36 when I started using sagittal appliances. I had one 3month stint with a palate expander. In a child this will spread the palate because the suture isn't fused. In adults you get molar tipping and a slight amount of movement in the dental alveolar bone around the molars. At your age if you want palate expansion you need SARPE or MARPE, and if you want to reshape your jaws you need surgery.

https://reversedental.wordpress.com/

In terms of jaw movement, Mewing is doubtful. Sorry man but I've been on this bandwagon for 4 years now, have scoured the blogs and read the literature, and I just don't see any evidence of mewing 'reshaping' jaws. At best it will arrest any negative affects of mouth breathing, and that's a different claim. It will improve your breathing (because when you start nose breathing properly your body gets better at this habit), and might trigger a follow on postural change (but does this happen because of the mewing, or because you are now thinking about posture??). 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/05/2019 4:35 pm
noober
Posted by: mscottxy

I was 36 when I started using sagittal appliances. I had one 3month stint with a palate expander. In a child this will spread the palate because the suture isn't fused. In adults you get molar tipping and a slight amount of movement in the dental alveolar bone around the molars. At your age if you want palate expansion you need SARPE or MARPE, and if you want to reshape your jaws you need surgery.

In terms of jaw movement, Mewing is doubtful. Sorry man but I've been on this bandwagon for 4 years now, have scoured the blogs and read the literature, and I just don't see any evidence of mewing 'reshaping' jaws. At best it will arrest any negative affects of mouth breathing, and that's a different claim. It will improve your breathing (because when you start nose breathing properly your body gets better at this habit), and might trigger a follow on postural change (but does this happen because of the mewing, or because you are now thinking about posture??). 

Thanks for the honest reply mate. There's so much information around you get overwhelmed by it. I keep finding new techniques and video and articles about new procedures. In the though I guess you're right. Once you reach your 30s it's basically it when it's about bones. Did you get any improvement at all by using the expander? Since you're here reading and sharing information I guess you've not given up trying to find a way to improve your situation. What else are you currently doing?
Sorry for bombarding you with questions but your situation seems to resemble mine quite a lot.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2019 6:39 am
noober

I've uploaded a few more pics taken from a distance as suggested. I'll keep em for future reference. Also not having a beard there it should be easier to see the bone structure.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2019 6:55 am
Kyte liked
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

That's a lot better (from the front).

Now we can clearly see you have forward head posture.

I guess you work at the PC. Are you an engineer? 

Pay attention to this video, in particolar to the posture he  simulates at 2:10.

https://youtu.be/HBK5cOcJIcY

Your head follows the Green line in the start position like the most of the "modern" people

That's the reason why other users said your side was ok. You are probably and subcounsciously making up for the up-forward growth you lack tilting your head up, hiding It.

If you really have a desk job, consider to make your work-station more ergonomic

If want to attempt to correct It immediately, try to:

- hold your smartphone higher

-hold what you are Reading nearer and don't jut your head towards It

- push your chin against the throath (you will look awful) when you look down and don't jut your head forward

-check chin-tuck excercises

I don't know if it will improve your appearance if this Is what you are looking for... But It will probably prevent to make It worse and other connected problems 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2019 7:33 am
noober

Interesting video. So my face has actually developed in a more vertical sense and less in the horizontal one and that isn't clearly visible as my posture migh be hiding that? If that so, fixing my posture would ultimately make this issue more visible wouldn't it? How could that be a positive thing to do then? Wouldn't I end up actually looking worse? (sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm just trying to understand)

I don't work with computers but I spent a significant amount of my youth in front of a computer.

I've already had a look at the Gokhale method and I'm going to read more about it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2019 8:08 am
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member
Posted by: noober

Interesting video. So my face has actually developed in a more vertical sense and less in the horizontal one and that isn't clearly visible as my posture migh be hiding that? If that so, fixing my posture would ultimately make this issue more visible wouldn't it? How could that be a positive thing to do then? Wouldn't I end up actually looking worse? (sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm just trying to understand)

I don't work with computers but I spent a significant amount of my youth in front of a computer.

I've already had a look at the Gokhale method and I'm going to read more about it.

Yes, you will definetely (just) look worse but it will prevent the problem to get even worse . Health Is more important than appearance... But consider that healthy habits often lead to good appearance and mind.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2019 8:29 am
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

@noober

However, It wasnt my intention to disappoint you.

I have a downward growth too and if you are interested I link my post where I try to be realistic when It comes to evaluate the time It takes to change ( and wishful maybe).  I received a mindblowing answer.

I am 25

https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/if-i-ever-had-perfect-posture-i-would-look-awesomegif/#post-20402

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2019 2:04 pm
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

You definitely have to fix your posture if you want to see any kind of improvement. If you're able to correct your posture (both oral and body posture) then your skull will be able to remodel to a more functional and healthy (aesthetic) form.

Quantcast

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2019 3:42 pm
noober liked
elevee
Trusted Member

Correcting your posture may show the weakness in some features, but that's not all the same as looking worse. People who carry themselves uprightly appear balanced and confident, which are naturally attractive qualities. A few weeks of upright carriage can broaden your chest and square your shoulders, reveal your true height which forward head posture disguises, firm a distended belly (which can occur even in very thin people like you if they have a c-shaped spine) and develop a rounder butt--all good qualities. People don't talk much about it, but I notice that skin tone and clarity often improve. And correct head posture brings your eyes down an inch or so, meaning you must open your eyes wider to see, and your eyes naturally appear larger and less sleepy.

That's all without facial remodeling. I'm 40, and after a few months of mostly-correct mewing I started to see differences in my face, most noticeably the sudden appearance of a brow arch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2019 4:17 pm
noober
Posted by: elevee

Correcting your posture may show the weakness in some features, but that's not all the same as looking worse. People who carry themselves uprightly appear balanced and confident, which are naturally attractive qualities. A few weeks of upright carriage can broaden your chest and square your shoulders, reveal your true height which forward head posture disguises, firm a distended belly (which can occur even in very thin people like you if they have a c-shaped spine) and develop a rounder butt--all good qualities. People don't talk much about it, but I notice that skin tone and clarity often improve. And correct head posture brings your eyes down an inch or so, meaning you must open your eyes wider to see, and your eyes naturally appear larger and less sleepy.

That's all without facial remodeling. I'm 40, and after a few months of mostly-correct mewing I started to see differences in my face, most noticeably the sudden appearance of a brow arch.

Do you guys have any material you'd recommend for posture correction?

Quantcast

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2019 5:10 pm
elevee liked
noober

Posted by: Kyte

@noober

However, It wasnt my intention to disappoint you.

I have a downward growth too and if you are interested I link my post where I try to be realistic when It comes to evaluate the time It takes to change ( and wishful maybe).  I received a mindblowing answer.

I am 25

https://the-great-work.org/community/case-discussions/if-i-ever-had-perfect-posture-i-would-look-awesomegif/#post-20402

I actually read your post a few hours ago and I found it all very interesting (and complex too). I hope you get some significant improvements in those 6 years. However all these readings did make me a bit sad but what can you do. I appreciate you took the time to help me out.

Quantcast

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2019 5:12 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member
Posted by: darkindigo

Thanks man. My teeth actually are a bit narrow but I'd rather have them narrow instead of developing spaces between them if that'd be what it takes.

@rockyp33 I've just watched the video and I'll sure try to adopt that way of swallowing.

You won't get gaps with braces.  It pulls all forward usually.  When you bite... your food pushes forward a bit...so teeth tend to float forward.

Quantcast

Y
ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/05/2019 12:42 am
mscottxy

yeah- deadlifts. Get a gym nut to teach you best technique then build up to [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] heavy, like when the bar bends and you grunt like a constipated hippo when you lift. (but seriously, lift weights and stretch everything, especially your psoas, quads and hammys). 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/05/2019 3:45 am
mscottxy

Yes. Because I am missing 4x upper and 2x lower premolars, my dental arches are small. They constantly felt like they were 'collapsing', and my tongue always felt cramped. The plates I wore for 2.5 years more or less 24/7 were designed to reopen space where the premolars should be. They have done this. Also, the palate expander widened the intermolar arch a few mm. Those two effects gave me moderate relief from the cramped feeling.  You can see the results in the photos on my blog. 

What didn't happen is any protraction of the maxilla. I actually wore a Delaire facemask with 4x heavy elastics onto the plates to at least try to prevent any backwards movement of the molars, which didn't entirely work. 

Again, the guy who I think has given the best effort to maxilla protraction, 'facepulling.com' hasn't come forward with any evidence his device or efforts worked. It's my view that there is one window to guide the maxilla, and that's when it is growing and developing. After that your going under the knife, which is where I'm at now. I've consulted a maxfac surgeon here in NZ, and am going to see another in Sydney, where I will probably move to for insurance and cost reasons. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/05/2019 4:03 am
bundfalke
Trusted Member

So you have been mewing for 4 years and it did nothing?

Quantcast

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/05/2019 8:51 am
elevee
Trusted Member

Esther Gohkale's book 8 Steps to a Pain Free Back. Essential Somatics had great videos on releasing chronic tension on youtube. And I really like Yamuna body rolling and these super intense little myofacial release tools, which can be used all over your body. https://www.amazon.com/Rotating-Massage-Massager-Myofascial-Acupressure/dp/B07H89TN3P/ref=sr_1_12?crid=3ABU3HD3R3O75&keywords=myofacial+roller+stick&qid=1559140429&s=gateway&sprefix=myofaci%2Caps%2C138&sr=8-12

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29/05/2019 10:34 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Yes - well, Vivos is honing in on how to shave it down.  That's the thing... it's a trade secret.  All you're doing when you don't shave it down or better yet preshave is just get pushing out of teeth.  Their secret is trade secret.  It's blown.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/05/2019 11:56 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

Yes. Because I am missing 4x upper and 2x lower premolars, my dental arches are small. They constantly felt like they were 'collapsing', and my tongue always felt cramped. The plates I wore for 2.5 years more or less 24/7 were designed to reopen space where the premolars should be. They have done this. Also, the palate expander widened the intermolar arch a few mm. Those two effects gave me moderate relief from the cramped feeling.  You can see the results in the photos on my blog. 

What didn't happen is any protraction of the maxilla. I actually wore a Delaire facemask with 4x heavy elastics onto the plates to at least try to prevent any backwards movement of the molars, which didn't entirely work. 

Again, the guy who I think has given the best effort to maxilla protraction, 'facepulling.com' hasn't come forward with any evidence his device or efforts worked. It's my view that there is one window to guide the maxilla, and that's when it is growing and developing. After that your going under the knife, which is where I'm at now. I've consulted a maxfac surgeon here in NZ, and am going to see another in Sydney, where I will probably move to for insurance and cost reasons. 

@mscottxy  Dr. Derek Mahony is in Sydney.  He's real legit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/06/2019 12:00 am
noober

Just for a laugh: try installing Snapchat on your smartphone and add to your face the turn into male effect. Mindblowing. Mine came out so handsome I almost burst into tears. It makes your jaw perfect.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/06/2019 5:26 am