NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

25 years old, recessed, not feeling very well  

RSS
Sonicka

Hello everyone. I'm new to mewing and I'm trying this thing since a few weeks, but I'm not able to put my posterior tongue on the roof of my mouth while breathing, which is strange since my molar interwidth is about 42 mm. So I suppose my forward head posture is really bad and my maxilla heavily recessed (42-43 Mew indicator line). My lips don't match in profile, the upper lip is more jutting and my mandible is quite short. My face is not symmetrical, one cheekbone is more protruding and the other is not, as a consequence since I've lost weight I started to have asymmetrical nasolabial folds and my philtrum elongated a bit. One eyebrow is more sagging than the other (strangely where the cheekbone is more protruding). My eyebags are asymmetrical too. I never was a mouth breather, I just spent half of my life looking at the floor while walking and obviously had bad oral posture. I could have been a beautiful girl if properly developed and now I'm quite depressed. I'm not so delusional to believe my bones will start growing at 25 years old, but I think I would like to know how can I improve and if I can at least train some muscle to create the optical illusion of a less recessed maxilla, or if anyone had significant improvement with similar to mine problems and age. I also wondered if correcting forward head posture will make my maxilla look worst. I know that I look okay since I'm young, but losing the tensor fat on my face made me realize that gravity will be cruel with my badly developed face. Any strategy is welcome but I don't think too hard mewing or heavy facepulling it's for me. Thank you for your help and understanding.

Posted : 10/08/2019 9:22 am
Liquidlips1

Have hope. I'm nearly 40 and have seen positive changes within months of starting. I wish I'd found all this at your age, but it's never to late to improve. Your mew indicator score and palate width are good (my mew indicator is 50! And there's many of that level around here so you are not severe by the standards here). It sounds like you may be being a little hard on yourself. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/08/2019 3:52 pm
Usum liked
guiduck

i'm 24 and have seen good improvements in ~4 months of mewing and 1 month facepulling(My recessed jaw moved a bit foward by this, i measured this with a thumb distance from my mouth that now is the distance of my index finger). I didn't took photos at the time cause I didn't expect it to change cause of skepticism and my age. But overall I'm quite happy with the time invested and results seen. unfortunatly only 2mm expansion on itw, but I couldn't fit my tongue there by the first moth or 2 and now I can breath even with the posterior third up there which makes my optimistic about it. You have nothing to lose by adopting proper oral posture, so go for it and research for methods. Also, be careful with bite misalignment, you might consider buying a myobrace to make sure you wont [Rude Language or Insults are not tolerated] up your bite

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2019 1:07 am
Sonicka

Thank you all. I know I'm overly discouraged, I think having a cold and mouthbreathing for the last 5 days made my mood even worst. Also I think that reading about 'genetic potential' can be quite toxic for insecure people and I must admit that I'm not immune from that. But honestly f**k genetic potential, I'm doing this to relieve the pain of my mistreated body and it's not my fault if I wasn't taught how to do that. 

For guiduck: is myobrace a good choice altough my teeth are fine? (I just have a mild diastema between my upper incisors). But I do have an overbite if I used my ruler right. Does it actually bring the lower maxilla forward a bit? I can't afford braces.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/08/2019 8:16 am
Jib
 Jib

I'm 29 and back on the bandwagon with oral posture. Actually, after reading your post I realized I may not have been lifting my posterior tongue enough, despite mewing (or trying to mew) for months. I'd definitely recommend reading as much as possible about oral posture until you're confident you're doing it right. I can breathe through my nose with my posterior tongue pressing against the roof of my mouth, but breathing feels harder that way. I have work to do as well. 

Side note: Cleaning myself up mentally as well.

My ex girlfriend had body dysmorphic disorder to a horrible degree. Do not let that be you. For any imperfections she thought she had, she was the most beautiful girl in the entire world to me. It broke my heart every time that I could never get through to her because she was convinced she was hideous and deformed, which she wasn't. I can't imagine being more sexually attracted to a girl than I was to her, yet if you went by metrics about facial symmetry and all this other stuff I'm sure she -- like most of us -- would not be anywhere near "perfect." Obviously that didn't matter.

So do your best to look the best you can, without getting hung up on looks. You're young. Do what you can, but don't waste any more mental or emotional energy on beating yourself up. Whether you're married already, have a boyfriend, or whatever, please, PLEASE do not ever let this get in the way of anything. It can be a bit of a mental conflict to be consciously working to improve your looks, and accept yourself as you are right now at the same time. But it's completely possible, and is what you should strive for.

Think of it like learning how to work out. Like doing a squat or deadlift properly. It takes time to learn perfect form. So it is with oral posture. This is how I'm thinking of it, and I think it's the healthiest way to think of it. You're learning to work out properly, with perfect technique, and that's it. Focus on technique like you would learning any other workout, and leave it at that.

It's actually very similar to working out in that it's a lifelong commitment if you're doing it right. Lifestyle change. Set it and forget it. Don't let it get in the way of letting go and enjoying your life to the fullest. It's a fine line to walk but it is completely possible.

I'm currently watching some stuff on oral posture myself to improve my technique.  Like I said: set it and forget it. The whole "I could have been a beautiful girl" thing kills me to read because it reminds me of my ex and how she treated herself like that -- please do not do that to yourself. Think of it like a workout, learn proper technique, and leave it at that.

Personally I'm settling on only oral posture for now, and whatever I can gain from that. Investing more of my time/energy beyond that -- which is already quite a commitment -- is too much for me, personally. I did order a set of "Chisell" as well as "Jawlineme" (knock off of Jawsrsize), and am hoping those will help, but especially looking forward to the Chisell, which you bite down on with your molars instead of with your front teeth like with the Jawsrsize.

I have a bit of an oral fixation and I like chewing things. Relieves stress for me. I also enjoy working out in general and feeling a pump in your jaw after working those muscles feels very nice to me. Of course I look stupid when using the Jawsrsize and I would probably kill myself if anyone caught me using it 😉

Just kidding....I think. Anyway, you get the idea. Good luck on your journey, and remember: be kind to yourself. You're the only person in the world you can 100% guarantee will be kind to you 100% of the time. Conscious choice.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/08/2019 1:13 pm
Jib
 Jib

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KVgsrPHXuA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIh4wT-WfYA

In the first video he makes some good points about not blocking your airways by moving your tongue too far back. I wonder if this is what you're doing? Let us know if you have any success with shifting your posture slightly so you can breathe while maintaining proper oral posture. My bet is that you will be able to and just have to refine your technique a bit.

Keep us posted. I'm attempting to improve my oral posture as well and found these videos particularly helpful. Again...much like workout videos I've watched multiple times on how to deadlift and squat with proper form. It isn't intuitive but over time the connections are made and things make more sense.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27/08/2019 1:19 pm
Sonicka liked
RezGrio

@guiduck

how do you facepulling? it is related to mewing?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2019 11:46 am
darkindigo
Reputable Member

@Sonicka  Yay!  Another female.  So... Mewing increased my Mew indicator line.  Yours isn't bad!  Closing the diastema would actually make it longer.  Diastemas are fine.  They help support your upper lip...so you can close it, but your upper lip would retrude a bit... unless you did it with braces.  Don't do that with aligners.   Do you have a photo?  Seems you're really self-conscious...and women are taught to be.  Be sure to just not push on one side of the face over the other... and I have some tricks relating to palatal asymmetries.  Press lightly around with the tongue... then see where your emotions are... you want to feel good.  There will likely be some spots where you feel good.  Pay attention to those.  Then see if pushing on those would create symmetry.  If not, ignore.  If so, then lightly push on that area.  I did that just once.  Anyway... over time there will be no spots left where your tongue wants to push.  But I caution to NOT push on the area your tongue feels good pushing on if it aggrivates asymmetries.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2019 2:09 pm
darkindigo
Reputable Member

A photo sure would help.  Also, concealer goes a long way!  The eye circles likely reflect poor airway... just get some good sun and exercise with good posture in.  Yoga is phenomenal.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2019 2:11 pm
Sonicka

@Jib Thank you for the encouragement and for sharing your experience. I'm actually not able to fully put the back of the tongue on the roof of my mouth like is shown in the first video because I can't mentally isolate the muscle and repeat the pattern like he does, I think it's a matter of proprioceprion. I start with the middle and do a suction but I don't know if it's enough. I thought that blocked airway was a symptom of recession or heavily bad posture rather than putting the tongue too far back, now I'm a bit confused.

@darkindigo Can I send to you in private? Do you think you are capable of telling me what's wrong and to suggest a strategy? Not very comfortable with posting pictures. The comment about emotions sound really strange, I'm going to read it again and again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/09/2019 3:58 pm