Share:

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

2 year update  

RSS
gubbbb

welp 2 years and still nothing

inb4 have you tried deathmewing with  2 belts on a caloric surplus or whatever the new thing is

Posted : 10/11/2019 11:53 pm
drunkwithcoffee
Trusted Member

What are you trying to "get out of" mewing? Seems like your maxilla is already in a good position (could be wrong on this).  Are your teeth straight?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2019 12:15 am
Dreez liked
gubbbb

@drunkwithcoffee

I have a  somewhat gummy smile and flat cheekbones I'm in it for the aesthetic changes more so then the health

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2019 12:20 am
Kyte
 Kyte
Estimable Member

Hi @gubb,

can't you see any change even from the front?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2019 1:44 am
Mangas77
Eminent Member

What's your chewing routine, if ever you chew daily ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2019 7:58 am
gubbbb
Posted by: @mangas77

What's your chewing routine, if ever you chew daily ?

Posted by: @kyte

Hi @gubb,

can't you see any change even from the front?

I chew regularly about 4-6 times a week depending on my day

In the front I can see some slight changes in regards to my master on the right side being less atrophied then it used to(from chewing) but everything else is still the same. It's hard to compare front shots accurately though since lenses distort that perspective way more then they do a side shot

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2019 12:18 pm
ShaktiOm
Trusted Member

@gubbbb

I know it's hard to tell because of the hair, but did your skull shape change?  The back of your head looks different.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2019 2:07 pm
Elwynn

@gubbbb

Your images are much better than most that I've encountered on the forum. However, when I attempted to align your pictures at the ear, I couldn't; they are of different size and shape. Due to this, any minor changes that you might have achieved through mewing would be impossible to see, in the first place. Without the comparison pictures being nearly identical in their perspective, changes would have to be major in order for them to be evident. Look at the post about my progress to see how just a few pixels of difference around the ear between profile pictures can vastly impact how the front of the face appears. People here often underestimate this effect. What I am getting at is that while it doesn't look like you have achieved any major changes, you may still have achieved minor improvements that aren't recognizable in the photos. That's worth keeping in mind before deciding to give up completely

Another relevant thing that I have realized is that users of this forum tend to erroneously estimate how long they have actually been mewing for. For instance, I first learned about mewing almost 1.5 years ago, which I when I first started working on improving my oral posture. But I would be kidding myself if I said that I've been mewing for 1.5 years, because for at least the first year, I couldn't engage the posterior third of my tongue at all, had no tongue suction-hold, or proper lip-seal, and was lacking in many other aspects as well. Hell, I still don't have an entirely correct posture, but it's much better than it used to be, and I'm continuing to improve it. This is why I am skeptical of those who measure their mewing beginning from the time that they first learn about it. It's highly unlikely that somebody who was a mouth-breather and sleep-drooler, who now has pronounced CFD would be able to adopt a perfect oral posture from day one. For the average person with poor oral posture, it takes a good deal of time just to learn how to mew properly, and to build up the habit and the soft tissue to able to do it unconsciously and consistently. People new to this underestimate the amount of commitment that fixing their oral posture takes, and then get discouraged.

To be clear, I am not accusing you personally of any of the above. I'm mainly making this point for others reading this thread. That being said, I am curious: are you able to suction your posterior tongue to the back of the soft palate and maintain this throughout the day? What about during sleep?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2019 4:08 pm
gubbbb

@elwynn

Hey thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts. 

I figured it was a lens distortion moving my ear and not mewing since my cheeks and chin didn't seem to change. Don't worry about me quitting I'm so used to mewing I probably wouldn't stop  since it'd mean re training my tongue again. I plan on posting before and afters for around 5-6 years to see what happens since bone remodeling as you said doesn't happen overnight.

I agree with the long term timeline considering that every time someone says they got major changes in 2 months they never post any images. It's one of the reasons I keep posting so that new Mewers don't get mad at no results in 2 months and start doing belt/finger pulling or other dumb things

And yes I have my posterior  activated most of the day not including mouth related activities. Obviously I can't say 100% for the night situation but I believe so. Whenever I've dropped my tongue while sleeping I'll wake up just to lift it up again and that hasn't happened in a few months now.

My tongue is always against the roof of my mouth

The tip is on that slope on the roof of my mouth

my lips are sealed

my teeth are making light contact

and I chew regularly

The only thing I think has changed is that the posterior 3rd of my tongue had a harder time fitting in between my teeth then it does now so who knows.

I hope year 3 will provide better results

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2019 5:19 pm
Elwynn

@gubbbb

Despite being skeptical of your own progress, you've continued posting your results on the forum for others to see. I think that's admirable, and I wish you the best of luck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/11/2019 11:21 pm
oatmeal
Trusted Member

I really like this post. It tells a message that just because you mew for a mew months doesn't mean x, y, and z changed.

In a way its actually motivating for me.

Btw Elwyn I can testify to what you're saying. I thought I mewed properly but I was wearing braces at the time. Since that time is when I count the amount of months. And who knows, maybe I'm still mewing wrong. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2019 11:32 am
Pame
 Pame
Trusted Member

What is your diet like? Do you work out regularly? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/11/2019 11:49 am
spidey

Don’t feel too bad, I’ve done mewing for FIVE years and have had no changes! :’)

Well, I can breathe through my nose better which is a plus of course. I can even breathe through my nose while doing cardio. I look the same, however, except looking 5 years older. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 10:30 am
PolHolmes

I take it you haven't seen much progress in terms of IMW? I think I'm coming to the conclusion that IMW change is 100% vital for any visible progress, personally my IMW hasn't changed much over the past 8 months and thus I don't have any cheekbone/chin progress. The only way I seem to 'feel it' in my cheekbones is to focus on spreading my tongue laterally as opposed to just up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 10:58 am
oatmeal
Trusted Member

@polholmes

I've been hearing a lot about laterally spreading the tongue. Could you explain?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 11:04 am
PolHolmes

@oatmeal

So basically instead of bringing your tongue up and back as far as you can, you press the tongue out to the side of your teeth, but preferably at the top gumline and kind of push outwards.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 4:08 pm
PolHolmes

"Bone deposits are added along the posterior margin of the maxillary tuberosity. This functions to lengthen the dental arch and to enlarge the anterior-posterior dimensions of the entire maxillary body. Coordinated with this increase is the progressive movement of the entire zygomatic process in a corresponding posterior direction. This sequence serves to maintain continuously the constant position of the zygomatic process relative to the remainder of the maxilla. The separate zygomatic bone also moves in a posterior course by a combination of resorption from its anterior surfaces and deposition along its posterior side. The face simultaneously enlarges in breadth by proportionate bone apposition on the lateral surface of the zygomatic arch with corresponding resorption from its medial surface." - Dr Enlow 

So yeah I'm pretty sure he's stipulating that stimulation of the maxillary tuberosity (increasing IMW) has a direct correlation of enlarging the entire maxillary body.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 5:31 pm
gubbbb
Posted by: @spidey

Don’t feel too bad, I’ve done mewing for FIVE years and have had no changes! :’)

Well, I can breathe through my nose better which is a plus of course. I can even breathe through my nose while doing cardio. I look the same, however, except looking 5 years older. 

That sucks, I hope It's at least made you a healthier person, thanks for sharing

Posted by: @pame

What is your diet like? Do you work out regularly? 

I eat home cooked recipes using this app https://cooking.mealime.com/

and I'll grab a calzone from time to time so I'd say varied leaning towards vegetarian dishes w 1 meat dish a week. I work out irregularly

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 9:37 pm
gubbbb
Posted by: @polholmes

I take it you haven't seen much progress in terms of IMW? I think I'm coming to the conclusion that IMW change is 100% vital for any visible progress, personally my IMW hasn't changed much over the past 8 months and thus I don't have any cheekbone/chin progress. The only way I seem to 'feel it' in my cheekbones is to focus on spreading my tongue laterally as opposed to just up.

I want to say with a heavy grain of salt that the posterior area of my mouth has widen slightly to accommodate my lower third but that's all I can give you

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/11/2019 9:38 pm
Share:

Face Development

Please Login or Register