Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

19M How recessed is my face currently?  

RSS
BobbyJindal

Here is an imgur link to side profile pics: https://imgur.com/a/EAiNCyV

I am currently 19 and have been in braces for a little over a year. I didn't have an overbite or underbite, had a slight crossbite and crowding that got fixed. I have been mewing since a little over the time I first got braces (so mewing for about the past 15-16 months, braces for about the past 14 months). Personally, I don't think I've seen that many results in my side profile from mewing. The biggest changes happened due to the position of my lips changing due to braces. Originally when I first got my braces, my lips stuck out a lot and my profile looked notably worse than before having braces. Now, my profile looks to have gone back to how it looked before any braces.

I will be getting my braces off later this week, and I can post an updated side profile picture of what I look like then. I am also planning to ask the ortho for my original side profile pic because once I have the before/after I probably will have a more accurate means of comparison than the iphone camera with different lighting/angles/etc.

My question is basically, how recessed is my face currently? My biggest problem IMO is flat cheekbones and a weak chin/jaw. I don't think my jaw is that downward grown tbh, and my Mew indicator measurement is around 42mm when I measured it. Also, if anything my lower third is a bit short from the front rather than too long. I am thinking my chin might just be due to genetics at this point since my mom has a small one too. But while my maxilla protrudes past the base of my nose, I also have a hooked nose (which not a single other person in my family has), flat cheekbones (negative orbital vector), and a weak chin, which I have read are all signs of a downswung/recessed maxilla/mandible as well. So I am not sure if my face displays clear recession or not. 

Also, when my braces come off I will be put in a fixed retainer and also be given a removable one to wear at night. One of the reasons I may not have seen progress from mewing is because I was in braces, and I've heard the removable retainer (unlike the fixed one) will also prevent progress. I feel like I may wear the removable retainer for the first few months and then slowly stop. Any feedback on this would be nice as well.

Posted : 19/08/2019 2:10 pm
GreekGodBrody
Trusted Member

Bro, you actually have good forward growth, your maxilla is definitely not recessed.

I did notice your chin could benefit from being more forward.

Learn proper swallowing for better cheekbones.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/08/2019 5:47 am