Notifications
Clear all

NOTICE:

DO NOT ATTEMPT TREATMENT WITHOUT LICENCED MEDICAL CONSULTATION AND SUPERVISION

This is a public discussion forum. The owners, staff, and users of this website are not engaged in rendering professional services to the individual reader. Do not use the content of this website as an alternative to personal examination and advice from licenced healthcare providers. Do not begin, delay, or discontinue treatments and/or exercises without licenced medical supervision.

1 year progress, age 24-25. Pictures included.  

RSS
Loliboly
Estimable Member

Hi!

It is now close to one year since I started mewing seriously. Since I unfortunately forgot to take any reference pictures, this post will partly function as my reference point for future progress. However, I have seen some minor positive changes, which I will share below with you.

Background information

Stoped breastfeeding around age one. Had pollen allergies and some minor asthma since early childhood, but breathed through my nose for the most part, as far as I can remember. Still ended up with pretty crocked teeth, as shown by the pictures. Was never treated with braces, but had some wisdom teeth extracted. Has always had pretty bad posture in general.

Mewing journey

Started mewing seriously nearly 1 year ago. My IMW measured up to 36 mm at start(probably less in reality). In the begging I struggled very much, as most people do. I couldn’t understand how to raise my posterior third and breathing was very hard. However, as time went by, I gained more and more control of my tongue. Around 4-5 months in I started to get the hyoid bone to really raise up. Around month 6-7, I started waking up with my tongue somewhat on the roof on the mouth(this is still a work in progress) Today I feel pretty confident that most, if not the whole, of my tongue touches the roof of my mouth during daytime. In the beginning I was very disciplined with chewing gum, but I got out of the habit after just one month. I think my face gained some width, but I have no pictures to compare with.

The first picture below shows what I probably looked like when I started out, and how I currently look when I am not mewing. The second picture tries to mimic what I looked like when I mewed in the beginning, and the third one shows my current tongue posture. The fourth shows me hard mewing, which seems to further tighten up my chin area somewhat. The fifth is just a front picture for future reference.

Routine

The only thing I have been consistent with is what most would consider to be soft mewing. During the whole year, my main goal has been to raise more and more of my posterior third. This has in time developed in some kind of “medium mewing”, always concentrating on engaging the back as much as possible.

I have just recently started sleeping with a humidifier in my room, as well as opening the window during night. This seems to help a lot with mewing, as I have been waking up with a closed, moist mouth since I started doing this. I highly recommend anyone who struggles with mewing while asleep to try this!

Measurements

Inter molar width: 36 mm(estimation), 06/05/2020
Facial height ratio: 0.286/0.714, 06/05/2020
Mew indicator line: 53 mm(estimation), 06/05/2020
fWHR: 1.81-2.1(rough estimation), 06/05/2020
Chin length: 42 mm,07/05/2020

Observed changes

- One week into my journey, my right eyebrow became symmetrical relative to the left one. It has always had the tendency to be raised, giving me a tired, dopey look. I am not sure why this happened. Maybe the focus from concentrating on mewing and my face has just actives some muscles in my face. The eyebrow can still raise, often when I am tired. But for the most part, it seems to have been fixed.

- I actually became taller, in effect. Focusing on my posture got me all the way from 180 cm to 183 cm.

- My side profile looks a little bit more defined now, thanks to the hyoid bone being raised while mewing.

Dubious changes(due to lack of pictures)

- Increased IMW, by maybe 1-2 mm.

- Less pronounced nasobial folds.

- Somewhat slimmer cheeks.

- Maybe wider zygos/more pronounced cheekbones 

For those interested, I will also share some not so flattering pictures of my teeth. Nothing has changed here, as far as I can tell. Hopefully any changes will be observed in the future.

For now on, I have decided to be consistent with thumb pulling and hopefully get some more room for my poor teeth. I will start to incorporate regular chewing as well, and focus more on chin tucks. I am dabbling a bit with hard mewing as well, as it seems my technique slowly is progressing towards that direction. Please feel free to give me feedback on the quality of the pictures, and if you suggest me taking new ones. And of course, ask anything if you feel like it.

Happy mewing!

Posted : 30/04/2020 11:32 am
Azrael
Estimable Member

Nice, thanks for posting your pics, routine and progress. I wouldn't recommend thumb pulling however as I don't think it could give symmetrical results.

If you are comfortable with your tongue posture after soft mewing for one year, I'd suggest you to go hard mewing full time since the technique has been seen to give some undeniable results despite the mechanism behind it being somewhat... unexplained?

Are you swallowing properly? Did you see some hollowing in your cheeks? (I can't see any but since I don't know your starting point, I'm interested in the answer)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2020 12:48 pm
Acnno and Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@azrael

Well, this is where I wish I had some decent before pictures. My cheeks hasn’t hollowed out, but I feel they are a bit more slim than before. I don’t know if it is related, but I also have the feeling that my nosibal folds have decreased quite a bit. But again, I lack pictures. When it comes to swallowing technique, I am not sure what to think. My cheeks and my crocked teeth, especially, would indicate a faulty technique. But I am able to swallow without any apparent movement of the lips. I find the “Mona Lisa swallow” easier than the “cheesy swallow”, however.

As for hard mewing, I am pretty sure I will start dong it. As you already stated, most substantial results seems to be have been due to hard mewing. What about you? Do you hard mew yourself? How have you progressed since you started (hard) mewing?

Regarding thumb pulling, why the fear of asymmetries? Have they been linked to thumb pulling? As long one makes sure to pull evenly, it would be okay, no? Since I am 25, started growing so early and have such crocked teeth, I figured my tongue really could use some extra help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2020 5:17 pm
PolHolmes
Eminent Member

Think you've had similar 'results' to me, just a better ability to 'suck' the chin fat up a bit more. I'm the same age

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2020 8:07 pm
Loliboly liked
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @loliboly

As for hard mewing, I am pretty sure I will start dong it. As you already stated, most substantial results seems to be have been due to hard mewing. What about you? Do you hard mew yourself? How have you progressed since you started (hard) mewing?

Yes, I started mewing 3 months ago and have been hard mewing from day 1. I have visibly split my midpalatal suture, formed a minor (1mm) diastema, corrected my neck posture and started to see hollowing of my cheeks. Yet to see major skeletal changes such as maxillary rotation or maxilla moving up, however. My nose bridge also seems to be lifted, but that could be my imagination.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30/04/2020 9:25 pm
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@polholmes What is your routine and age? And how long have you been mewing for?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 5:06 am
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@azrael

Oh, sorry! We did just discuss that in another thread, lol. I will try and adopt your technique, since it has been so effective for you. Besides your routine, do you have any other idea about what enabled you to split the suture so quickly?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 6:37 am
Azrael
Estimable Member

@azrael

Oh, sorry! We did just discuss that in another thread, lol. I will try and adopt your technique, since it has been so effective for you. Besides your routine, do you have any other idea about what enabled you to split the suture so quickly?

I swallowed properly too. I tape my mouth while sleeping but I don't really know if those factors also contributed but I was extremely consistent in my routine. I never "forgot" to mew, like most new mewers on Reddit complain. Perhaps making it such a strong habit very quickly was what caused the suture to split?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 7:53 am
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@azrael Dedication is probably part of it. But splitting the suture is pretty rare in my estimation, especially in such short time span. Was your puberty late? This coupled, with being under 25, would maybe make your sutures more prone to splitting.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 9:25 am
Azrael
Estimable Member

@azrael Dedication is probably part of it. But splitting the suture is pretty rare in my estimation, especially in such short time span. Was your puberty late? This coupled, with being under 25, would maybe make your sutures more prone to splitting.

No, I stopped growing taller at 18. And I started mewing nearly 5 years later so it's very unlikely that puberty had any effect whatsoever. Besides, most people who report sensations from mewing on Reddit are teens and kids. I didn't feel any sensation at all and helmutstrebl apparently didn't either. Perhaps it's because teens have a greater potential for change than us adults.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 10:49 am
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@azrael It seems so weird to me that you didn’t have any sensations and yet split your suture, lol! So you never feel anything in your nose, pheraps? Just the tension in the tongue/hyoid?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 11:14 am
Azrael
Estimable Member

@azrael It seems so weird to me that you didn’t have any sensations and yet split your suture, lol! So you never feel anything in your nose, pheraps? Just the tension in the tongue/hyoid?

Yeah, I'm secretly wishing everyday for a sensation in my cheekbones as that's the one area I want to see an improvement the most, lol. It's been 3 months and still, nope. Only the palate surface and my hyoid where I feel even something.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 11:21 am
moemoe

Hey @Azrael

How can you tell you split your midpalatal suture ? Is it because of the diastema that resulted or ?

Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 11:38 am
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @moemoe

Hey @Azrael

How can you tell you split your midpalatal suture ? Is it because of the diastema that resulted or ?

Thanks

Here's the post I made about it:

https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/midpalatal-suture-split/#post-29786

Another pic if you want to see:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 11:46 am
moemoe

That's impressive! 😮 

Thanks for sharing

M.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 12:08 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member
Posted by: @azrael

...I'm secretly wishing everyday for a sensation...

I just found a way to consistently induce upwards force into my nose. It is not in the cheekbones, but I speculate this still means I am effectively lifting the maxilla upwards. Thus this excites me. I do this by focusing on the very center of the posterior third, narrowing it and pushing it upwards. Progress post here illustrates this very well(thanks for the idea, @Progress:  https://the-great-work.org/community/postid/7138/

Try it out and let me hear if you feel it to!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 7:18 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member
Posted by: @azrael

...I'm secretly wishing everyday for a sensation...

I just found a way to consistently induce upwards force into my nose. It is not in the cheekbones, but I speculate this still means I am effectively lifting the maxilla upwards. Thus this excites me. I do this by focusing on the very center of the posterior third, narrowing it and pushing it upwards. Progress post here illustrates this very well(thanks for the idea, @Progress:  https://the-great-work.org/community/postid/7138/

Try it out and let me hear if you feel it to!

Sure, I'll try this out if I see no improvements in the next 9 months. I'll let you know, then.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01/05/2020 11:54 pm
Loliboly liked
moemoe

@loliboly I am able to feel that sensation on my nose, in fact I feel that pressure on the whole mid-face but when doing so it feels like I'm using more of the middle third of the tongue opposed to the posterior third because I can put the focus further back on my tongue. But I might be wrong. However keeping that way requires a lot of effort and concentration. Sometimes, I must posture somewhat slightly different as the sensation is felt more towards the ears and the ramus rather than the center of the midface.

But I do try to focus more on the posterior third and when doing so I lose those sensations but the muscle of my front neck are tense and the abs somewhat engaged which makes me think it's a better posture to have.

M.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2020 3:06 am
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@moemoe

Interesting! Some questions:

1. When you say you get sensations in the mid face, do you mean the whole of it? Or is it more like a string of force, radiating through the middle of your face and/or nose?

2. Do you push hard to achieve the sensations? In my case, it is nearly exclusively achieved through a very subtle amount of pressure. I may add that I feel it is more the end of the middle, or the beginning of the posterior third(PT) that does the pushing. No further back. And do I agree that it requires concentration to produce the feeling.

3. Have you observed a pattern in how you tweak your (tongue)posture and where you feel the sensations? It nearly seems unbelievable to me that the tongue would induce force into the ramus!(But I do believe you, just to be clear)

But I do try to focus more on the posterior third and when doing so I lose those sensations but the muscle of my front neck are tense and the abs somewhat engaged which makes me think it's a better posture to have.

I find hard as well to keep the sensations when pushing hard with the PT. And I agree that strong engagement of the neck muscles is probably a good sign. The question would be how we could keep the sensations while still strongly engage the PT?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2020 5:30 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@ovosoundszn

Thanks man! To be honest, I have always been treated pretty well by girls. My pictures may not show it, since my eye section is one of my best features, but according to my ex:es, platonic girlfriends and my current partner, many women consider me attractive. But still, even if Corona wasn't going on(lol), I don’t think I would get noticed more to any significant degree. But I am also pretty introverted, and I lack before pictures, so it is hard to say.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2020 5:41 pm
moemoe

@moemoe

Interesting! Some questions:

1. When you say you get sensations in the mid face, do you when the whole of it? Or more
like a string of pressure radiating in the middle of your face?

2. Do you push hard to achieve the sensations? In my case, it is nearly exclusively achieved through a very subtle amount of pressure. I may add that I feel it is more the end of the middle, or the beginning of the posterior third(PT) that does the pushing. No further back. And do I agree that it requires concentration to produce the feeling.

3. Have you observed a pattern in how you tweak your (tongue)posture and where you feel the sensations? It nearly seems unbelievable to me that the tongue would induce force into the ramus!(But I do believe you, just to be clear)

I find hard as well to keep the sensations when pushing hard with the PT. And I agree that strong engagement of the neck muscles is probably a good sign. The question would be how we could keep the sensations while still strongly engage the PT?

I did not get your 1. question, I guess there's a typo. The main pressure is on the nose area, right above the tongue, being the epicentre but it does irradiate to the whole mid face. However sometimes the position must be different because the main pressure is felt right below the ears on the jaw and irradiates down the jaw. But I can't tell exactly the pattern. it happens sometimes when I get tired or get too much saliva and doing the sweep forces me to reset the tongue posture.

And it is exactly what you say: it's the end of the middle/beginning of the PT that does the pushing. It's a medium/hard push but not the hardest I can go. 

But I now try to engage further back on the PT and when I do so I don't feel that pressure on the mid-face. So I have no answer to your last question but I'm also interested to find out.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2020 6:30 pm
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@moemoe

Oh, something very weird happened there! Will edit the comment. It is meant to say: When you say you get sensations in the mid face, do you mean the whole of it? Or is it more like a string of force, radiating through the middle of your face and/or nose?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2020 6:37 pm
moemoe

@moemoe

Oh, something very weird happened there! Will edit the comment. It is meant to say: When you say you get sensations in the mid face, do you mean the whole of it? Or is it more like a string of force, radiating through the middle of your face and/or nose?

Yes it is on the whole mid face but stronger on the nose area, (but deep on the bone not superficially near the skin) and less strong further away from the nose

M.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2020 6:50 pm
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

The main pressure is on the nose area, right above the tongue, being the epicentre but it does irradiate to the whole mid face.

And it is exactly what you say: it's the end of the middle/beginning of the PT that does the pushing. It's a medium/hard push but not the hardest I can go. 

Just as you recognise my description of the tongue action, I totally recognise the way you describe the pressure sensations! It feel like we are discovering something here!

But I now try to engage further back on the PT and when I do so I don't feel that pressure on the mid-face. So I have no answer to your last question but I'm also interested to find out.

I actually think I just may have found an answer! The key is partly to master the suction hold, and be able to make it really strong. You then start to practise combing this with either hard mewing(focusing on the PT, no pressure from the tip) or the “center-of-the-tongue-movement”(let us call it “center pressure”). When you feel you have mastered both combinations, you start combining all the three at the same time. When you get it, it will feel like hard mewing 2.0, I tell you! Please get more details about combining hard mewing and suction hold(as well as mastering the suction) here: https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/have-you-experimented-with-hard-suction/#post-30544

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2020 6:59 pm
moemoe

I've been tweaking and playing with my tongue and I lost the ability to create that pressure sensation mainly on the nose area. Now the main pressure is always in the ear area and it quickly becomes painful and uncomfortable with the sensation expanding down the first centimeter of the jaw and the muscles nearby behind the ears. There's a bit of the sensation in the nose area but it's deeper and faint and easily masked by the uncomfortable sensation in the ears.

M.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2020 1:25 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

I've been tweaking and playing with my tongue and I lost the ability to create that pressure sensation mainly on the nose area. Now the main pressure is always in the ear area and it quickly becomes painful and uncomfortable with the sensation expanding down the first centimeter of the jaw and the muscles nearby behind the ears. There's a bit of the sensation in the nose area but it's deeper and faint and easily masked by the uncomfortable sensation in the ears.

M.

Besides the pressure and sensations, do you hear crackles and pops near your ear area?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2020 2:03 pm
moemoe

@azrael No, I don't.

M.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2020 4:02 pm
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@moemoe

Strange. Have no idea why this is happening to you. My advice would be to keep experimenting and tweaking your technique until you get the right sensations. Speaking of sensations, I may tell you and @Azrael that that I have started having sensations in my cheekbones from time to time. I really do think this technique is the way to go. @achilles1 description of his technique is nearly identical to the one I called hard mewing 2.0, and his results certainly looked promising. If you haven’t seem them yet, the thread is here: https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/18-months-of-progress/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2020 4:22 pm
moemoe liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@moemoe

Here is the text that made my discover the nose sensations in the first place. I find @Progress writing and illustrations very helpful to visualise the tongue action. Maybe it will help you rediscover the right sensations.

https://the-great-work.org/community/postid/7138/

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2020 4:26 pm
Azrael
Estimable Member

Speaking of sensations, I may tell you and @Azrael that that I have started having sensations in my cheekbones from time to time. I really do think this technique is the way to go. @achilles1 description of his technique is nearly identical to the one I called hard mewing 2.0, and his results certainly looked promising. If you haven’t seem them yet, the thread is here: https://the-great-work.org/community/main-forum/18-months-of-progress/

Yeah, but I read in some threads that the cracks and pops near the ear area had something to do with Eustachian tubes in the ear and also that they could be movement of the sutures (heard a few on the occipital too, once) so I am going ahead with the current routine for the next 9 months as well. (I need to perfect my current tongue tip placement however as it's a little too behind the incisive papilla at the moment which doesn't sound good for any possible CCW rotation or forward growth.)

I will look into other options such as the one you recommended here (and in the other thread) if I see no satisfactory improvements.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2020 4:46 pm
Loliboly liked
Loliboly
Estimable Member

@azrael

I certainly think you should keep doing what you are doing, considering your results! I just wanted to share my experience, since you said you longed for sensations in the cheekbones. 🙂 It will be interesting to see where our different techniques has taken us within 1 year or so!

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2020 4:51 pm
Azrael liked
Azrael
Estimable Member

@azrael

I certainly think you should keep doing what you are doing, considering your results! I just wanted to share my experience, since you said you longed for sensations in the cheekbones. 🙂 It will be interesting to see where our different techniques has taken us within 1 year or so!

Cheers

Yeah, because I believe consistency is a somewhat underrated factor here in orthotropics. I appreciate you trying to help out, though.

Besides, if you and I both get results within the next 9 months, it would show us that there are indeed many roads to Rome. Or, if one of us gets results, it would help us in determining the better technique. So it's a win-win.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/05/2020 5:00 pm
Loliboly liked